Product Detail Page Image Crop

TEMPLATE: FULTON

Hi everyone! 

I'm creating a large online store for a local art gallery. The site sells artwork from a multitude of artists in varying mediums. Because of this, images for the store have dimensions that vary a lot. Therefore, on my product details pages, many of the images are terribly cropped. 

I need to figure out a way to style the product details page and allow for the image's original aspect ratio to be maintained. 

I've been tweaking around with the CSS for hours, but can't figure out a way to make it work. I basically need the product detail page's image container to match the original aspect ratio of the photo that is displayed. 

Has anyone done this successfuly?! I have combed the internet with no luck. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Happy to give you the password to view the site if needed as it's not live yet.

Screen Shot 2020-05-15 at 12.07.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-15 at 12.08.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-15 at 12.08.22 PM.png

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's another thread about this subject, so I'm linking to it here:

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 2 weeks later...

One (admittedly less than ideal) way of handling this is to create png files in the aspect ratio you've set and then save the file with a transparent background. For example, if you have the aspect ratio set at 4:3, create a blank image in Photoshop with no background at that ratio – so, say, 1500x1125px. Place your artwork image within those bounds so that it maxes out either the 1500 or 1125 dimension. Then save that as a png with a transparent background. Then upload that png file as your thumbnail. This way the images you're uploading are all technically 4:3, but to the viewer they will appear as if they're the ratio of the actual artwork.

• 10 months later...

This isn't solved. I'm using the Brine template and having this issue on my product pages on mobile. I need my images on my product pages to display at full height as they are infographics and the viewer needs to view them as the full graphic to see all the information on it.

Squarespace giving a range of ratio crops is pretty useless. People setting up websites should definitely have the option to show the full image and not have this decision made for them. I've attached what I get on mobile view and also the image file for the infographic that I want to show. I have over 100 graphics like this on my website in a shop. They have the same width but they're all at different heights...

I've set them up as products with the intention of potentially selling them as prints in the future so have managed to remove the prices and add to cart button by just colouring these elements white for now with the intention of making them visible when needed.

@paul2009 the cropping suggestion you have on another page won't work for my graphics. They need to be visible at full height. Is there anything you can do or suggest to help me with this please? I've hit a total brick wall and this needs to work!

My web address for this site in progress is:

https://octagon-pelican-ay36.squarespace.com/

Cheers

Screenshot 2021-03-29 at 22.57.17.png

Maradona_Diego.jpg

Archived