Filtering blog posts

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Site URL: https://www.tamsinjordan.com/

Hi, I recently relaunched my square space site with version 7.1 . I'm using the site mainly for blogging. I write about a range of health and wellness topics and i'm trying to figure out a way to create some kind of filtering option so visitors can select different types of posts  - ideally a drop down option from the 'blog' tab with different categories listed.

Any help would be hugely appeciated!

Tammy 

@paul2009

• Solution

You can add categories or tags to individual blog posts and then add a link to your navigation that shows the blog but filtered by the category or tag required.

In the Create New Page menu, select Link.

In the link editor, give the new link a title and then type a link to your blog like this:

ss7-1-add-link-category-filter.png.af613951daa5477e81d937ea2075610c.png

The screenshot above assumes that your blog is called 'blog' and you've added a category called "health". You can change these to match your requirements.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 8 months later...

Hi, I'm using categories and a link filter to show a list of upcoming events. In the case where no events match, I'd also like to show  'No upcoming events of type category-name' instead of the default list of all events. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance!

Web site and software developer

• 3 months later...
On 5/15/2020 at 9:02 AM, paul2009 said:

You can add categories or tags to individual blog posts and then add a link to your navigation that shows the blog but filtered by the category or tag required.

In the Create New Page menu, select Link.

In the link editor, give the new link a title and then type a link to your blog like this:

ss7-1-add-link-category-filter.png.af613951daa5477e81d937ea2075610c.png

The screenshot above assumes that your blog is called 'blog' and you've added a category called "health". You can change these to match your requirements.

Thank you @paul2009, this has been super helpful so far!

I'm trying to do something similar to TammyJordan, but I'd like to create my links in the "Not Linked" area of my pages (so it doesn't show up in the main navigation). I have followed your instructions above. However, when I try to add a "posts about health" link [for example] it doesn't show up on the dropdown list of pages I can link to. How can I make the link work?

Thank you,

-OCarlson

21 minutes ago, OCarlson said:

However, when I try to add a "posts about health" link [for example] it doesn't show up on the dropdown list of pages I can link to.

I'm sorry but I don't understand your question yet. If the link is not being added to the navigation, how will it be used?

It usually helps if you can include a working link to the site with your description of the issue. A screenshot may also help.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 year later...