Transferring trial of one website among multiple from my account

I searched for my specific situation but found nothing definitive. I have several client websites under my account that I manage. Added a trial 10 days ago and the client prefers to have ownership and give me permission to manage content (edits additions etc) before the trial ends. I have already given the owner administrator privileges. When I began the transfer ownership procedure it asked for my account login password. Will this transfer all of my accounts to the new owner or the specific site I am currently logged into? I do not want to affect ownership/permissions for the other websites in my account. Any help clarifying this would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 6
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Transfer ownership

To transfer ownership of a Squarespace site:

1. If you haven't already, invite the future site owner as a contributor to the site.
  2. In the Home Menu, click Settings, then click Permissions.
  3. Under Website Owner, click Transfer Ownership.
  4. In the pop-up message, verify your account by entering your password, then select the new owner from the drop-down menu.
  5. Click Transfer Ownership.
  6. Enter your password to confirm, and then click Finalize Transfer.

Next steps for the new site owner

If you're the new site owner, you may want to take these optional steps for your site:

Update the billing credit card on file

When you transfer ownership to another person, the billing information on file doesn't change. You may want to change the credit card on file for billing so the previous owner isn't charged when the site renews.

Remove permissions from the previous site owner

After you change ownership, the former owner will be a contributor with Administrator permissions. This means that they can still edit billing information and cancel your site. You can change permissions or remove the previous owner from your site.

Thanks Derricksrandom so the transfer does not transfer my entire account just that particular site I am logged into? Just a bit alarming when the transfer ask for my password when I am already logged in. Would think there would be some kind of clarification in the UI about this or somewhere communicating the intent.

That is correct. It asks for your password after being logged in to make sure a contributor to your site is not taking it from you, just a second layer of security. The contributor has to have their own account in order to access the site, different user name and password so that any other sites you have are not accessible to them already. That is how the permissions work when set up thru the site. 

• 11 months later...
3 hours ago, beardedcustompcs said:

I built a new site but want to transfer the Billing from my current site to the new one? Is this possible?

It’s not possible to move a website subscription or payment between sites. See: Can I move my subscription to a different site?

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Archived