How to add special icons to products?

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Hello,

I want to add special icons to some products - similar to how the "sale" feature allows you to mark items with a box on top of the product image.

For example, how can I mark some products as "New" or "50% off" or "Vegan" or "Spicy" or some other custom text?

And is it possible to place a small graphic icon instead of text?

• Solution
6 minutes ago, HelloKitten said:

I want to add special icons to some products - similar to how the "sale" feature allows you to mark items with a box on top of the product image.

See the guide that I wrote here: Adding a custom status badge to Squarespace Products.

Let me know how you get on.

-Paul

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

1 hour ago, paul2009 said:

See the guide that I wrote here: Adding a custom status badge to Squarespace Products.

-Paul

Hello! Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, even after following your guide, nothing at all appears - not the label, not the background...

I am still on the free trial; do you think that's the reason it's not working?

And how can I add a small sprite / icon instead of using text? Thank you !

Edited by HelloKitten

It's difficult to troubleshoot this for you without seeing your website. Please provide a working link to your site. You said that your site isn't live yet, so you will need to set a site password and tell us what it is, so that we can view it. The link provides details of how to do this.

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

• 1 year later...

Hi @plantshop203. The guide allows you to add one custom product badge. 

If you're interested in multiple badges, then do please DM me with details of what you want to achieve. I'm currently exploring options to improve product conversion on Squarespace sites, and it would be good to understand what you're trying to achieve.

I say this because when product badges are used correctly on a Product List Page (PLP) they can reduce the time that it takes for shoppers to make a decision, potentially increasing sales. However, when there are too many badges, the reverse is likely to be true; they could have a negative impact.

It's a good idea to stand back and look at your PLP from a customer's point of view and consider, what would help them to decide their next move? For example, would it be free shipping, or knowing it's an easy care plant? You'll know this better than me. 🙂

• 4 months later...

Hey @paul2009 your code works fine but my website (shop is here: www.fioridicipria.com/it/shop-now) is made by a series of summary blocks. 

Any chance to make it work for summary blocks too? If it doesn't require too much work, of course

PS: If you don't know, labels are not displayed if the tag contains underscores 

Edited by RobPegurri
  • 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, CamilleOG said:

I'm having the same problem as @RobPegurri : my custom status badge works on products pages but not in summary blocks

That's because the code snippet is looking for 'tag classes' (such as tag-preorder) that appear on product pages. Squarespace don't include these on Summary Blocks 😕 so the code won't identify them. Instead, Summary Blocks include anchor links (for example <a href="/?tag=preorder"</a>) so it should be possible to write some code to look for these instead.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2021 at 1:19 PM, tuanphan said:

@RobPegurri Do you still need help?

I'd appreciate it a lot, yes. I tried but I can't find a solution myself

On 12/15/2021 at 2:40 PM, paul2009 said:

That's because the code snippet is looking for 'tag classes' (such as tag-preorder) that appear on product pages. Squarespace don't include these on Summary Blocks 😕 so the code won't identify them. Instead, Summary Blocks include anchor links (for example <a href="/?tag=preorder"</a>) so it should be possible to write some code to look for these instead.

Ah I see, I chose to make my shop with summary blocks because they're way more flexible

24 minutes ago, chelspar said:

my tag shows up but not in the right place.

Where were you expecting it to appear? On 7.1, Squarespace chose to show status badges with the product metadata, not on thumbnail images.

• 6 months later...
57 minutes ago, elmeto said:

Thank you so much for going through the trouble of sharing this. It's not working for me though, am I doing something wrong?

It looks like you have missed out step 2 - adding jQuery 🙂

44 minutes ago, elmeto said:

Do you know if there's a way of the badge being on top of the images

On Squarespace 7.0, badges appear on the images. On 7.1 they appear below them. You could change this, but it will require CSS and this will be specific to the design that you would like. 

10 minutes ago, paul2009 said:

On Squarespace 7.0, badges appear on the images. On 7.1 they appear below them. You could change this, but it will require CSS and this will be specific to the design that you would like. 

Actually, scrap that, for some reason it's working, so all good, thank you!  By the way, I'm in Squarespace 7.1 and it's appearing on top of images

• 3 months later...
On 4/18/2020 at 3:01 PM, paul2009 said:

-Paul

Thank you for the guide! I have two books coming out end of year and this is super helpful.

Sayre

Design: (Recently rolled into the Italian Journey under Services)

Author Coordinates: https://bio.site/sayreambrosio

Italian Journey: https://bio.site/ambrosiosjrnyhm