domain telling me I have an incorrect A record (won't connect ssl)

I've connected the domain (from NameCheap) to the site I'm working on and the domain works perfect. The problem is, when I navigate to various pages (specifically when I press buttons that take me a page within the site), it tells me the the site is not secure and I shouldn't proceed. I've figured out that the issue is that the SSL certificate isn't active because the domain is not correctly connected to the site. It highlighted the issue in the dns settings. It's an incorrect A record... I already have four connected... but for some reason there is a fifth. But it's formatted differently. I'll attach a screenshot below. I tried adding the fifth a record to the domain but it won't accept it. I've tried a couple things but nothing fixes it. Anyone know what I could do? 

Screenshot (42).png

• Replies 9
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you just moved your domain it can take anywhere from an hour to a day before it propagates for all pages and all providers, cell service usually being the last. It should clear up on its own. I doubt that one error is causing a problem 

check your ssl certificate here:

https://www.sslshopper.com/ssl-checker.html 

just type in your website address. 

Edited by derricksrandomviews

Thanks for the link. It says everything is fine.... but some pages on the site are still coming with the privacy warning message. I'm using google chrome and have tried the site on multiple devices to make sure the problem isn't me. 

Also I've had the domain connected for over a week now. 

Here's the link if someone wants to test it themselves. The buttons on the home page are the ones that keep giving me issues. https://www.bethelbythepark.org/

There is something going on with the buttons. The nav bar links take me to the same page, media, events, just fine. I can type the address of any page in chrome goes there just fine, same for Edge. So I suggest you relink the buttons. Copy the url from the address bar after you click there from the nav bar and use that to program the button link. Edge says the site  name on the  ssl  certificate doesn't match the name of the site the button is going to. If that doesn't work then check out the link I posted here:

Did you follow this guide for name cheap?

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/205812448-Connecting-a-Namecheap-domain-to-your-Squarespace-site

5:23 edt  Happy to see that all seems to be working correctly now. 

Edited by derricksrandomviews
  • 5 months later...
42 minutes ago, LucasM said:

Have you find any solution regarding your fifth A record? I am having the same issue here.

The additional one is often the one that existed before you added your Squarespace site. You can typically fix this by logging on domain name provider's DNS dashboard and manually removing it. The steps to do this will depend on your domain name provider so it's a good idea to check their support pages for details of how to add and remove records.

If a post helps you, please click a "Like" option below  ↘️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2020 at 8:27 PM, derricksrandomviews said:

If you just moved your domain it can take anywhere from an hour to a day before it propagates for all pages and all providers, cell service usually being the last. It should clear up on its own. I doubt that one error is causing a problem 

check your ssl certificate here:

https://www.sslshopper.com/ssl-checker.html 

just type in your website address. 

Hi, Out of the blue cant access my site. www.peterpmallon.com

Have checked SSL all green ticks. Now site isnt coming up in Goggle etc??  As far as I can see everything is good. But No one to talk to??? Hipe someone can help. p

5 minutes ago, Mallon65190926 said:

Out of the blue cant access my site

It's working fine for me and the DNS records appear correct.

If you do experience issues, you can always contact Squarespace Customer Care. You can reach out to them here.

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

4 minutes ago, paul2009 said:

It's working fine for me and the DNS records appear correct.

If you do experience issues, you can always contact Squarespace Customer Care. You can reach out to them here.

Great. I just tried through Goggle but it takes me to a status site;says expired but click on URL AND EVENTUALLY, I get it. Please can I ask what engine your using? and does it go straight to my webpage??

Cheers Paul, sorry to be a pain with such a trivial issue

P

• 11 months later...