Site Search is broken in 7.1

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

In 7.1 search functionality is broken. It does not index text blocks that exist in a section.

It seems to only index navigation and blogs.

Support says this is a known bug but they still have not fixed it and it has been broken since start. We highly depend on this search functionality for our new site. PLEASE FIX IT SquareSpace!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, this is very problematic. Site search is one of those common features in a website that when they don't work, reflect poorly on the developer, regardless of fault. Had I been aware something as simple as the search tool would not work I wouldn't have created the website in 7.1. I will not develop any others in 7.1 until this issue is fixed.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have just run into this issue as well!  I am totally panicking, as my site relies on good internal search functionality!
After finding this page on forum here, I reached back out to SS (was the 4th agent I talked to today) and I finally got a real response (the others were blanket replies saying that the issue is being forwarded to engineering and they will work on it).
The last agent agreed that it's been an issue with 7.1 since the beginning, that the search doesn't work for text blocks, image titles or captions or most content on layout pages!
I am mortified after spending hundreds of hours on my site.
How can this issue have not been fixed by now ~ I mean seriously!?
At least, if they CAN'T fix it, there should be an upfront disclosure, on their site, that alerts people to this problem, when people are choosing between 7.0 vs. 7.1 and/or between SS and another platform (that can handle the basic functionality of internal search).
FYI Apparently it's not an issue for 7.0, but those templates can not do what 7.1 can, design-wise.
I feel like I have potentially lost 100's of hours of work, time and money and really don't understand why SS can't fix this bug!  How can we get through to them, to have this resolved?

• 5 months later...
  • Solution

UPDATE FEBRUARY 2024:

Search reliability has been improved! Searches should now return accurate results. If you aren't seeing these improvements, please post examples, including screenshots.

ORIGINAL POST (SEPT 2021):

Sadly, this is a known issue (see screenshot below) - and has been since October 2019. It is a technically complex issue that will require some time to resolve and so, although I don't work for Squarespace, I don't expect to see it resolved any time soon.

I will post back whenever there is news, but in the meantime I recommend that you:

• log a support ticket with Customer Care. Squarespace doesn’t use this forum to track bugs, limitations, or feature requests. If you'd like to raise the visibility of this issue, you are encouraged to contact Squarespace directly. 
  • consider using an external search service or use sorting and filtering solutions to improve discoverability of products. 

Some search solutions you can integrate into Squarespace include:

• Universal Filter. Squarespace specific filtering with search ($70 one-off payment).
  • SearchIQ. Fast and intelligent search, from $19pm (without branding).
  • Swiftype by Elasticsearch. Enterprise-class solution from $79pm.
  • Programmable search engine. A Google service that you can get for free or a low price.

screenshot showing that the search does not find text on the same page

Edited by paul2009
Update Feb 2024

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

Would you like your customers to be able to mark their favourite products in your Squarespace store?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just discovered this issue yesterday while trying to implement search into a school's website. This was Squarespace's response. TLDR: we aren't fixing this, go ahead and use our broken feature because not enough people are complaining about it.

--

Hi there,

This is Ryan from the Portland office, I am following up from our chat earlier.

Thank you for your patience while I looked in to this more. I understand that the search function on your site was not working as expected. Specifically, the search block was not returning indexed content as it should. 

When it comes to resolving platform issues, we can't fix every problem, so we have to choose the most impactful improvements. We prioritize platform developments and critical issues that affect a large number of customers or greatly reduce the usability of the platform.

While we understand it may be inconvenient, we don’t currently have plans to fix or improve this behavior.

I hope the information above is helpful. If you have any additional questions please don’t hesitate to reach out. We are here 24/7 and are always happy to help!

Thanks,

Ryan J.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@cami_leisk

I wouldn't hold my breath. The issue has been going on for years and SS has not indicated an interest in fixing it.

You don't have to leave the platform to get search. Use an external service to handle your search.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, CatGuerreiro said:

How do you mean?

Depending on your requirements, take a look at:

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

Would you like your customers to be able to mark their favourite products in your Squarespace store?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I tried Google search engine and it will  solve my problemas thanks! We are planning in using it.

However, we would like to use it through the search bar that we in place, instead of google, do you know if its possible? (http://www.chumbo.org)

Thanks in advance.

Catarina