Font color in product description

I want to highlight one sentence in a product description by changing its color.  I cannot believe that in the text format box there is no standard options for changing color of text.  Just like there is right here where I am typing this!  I have now spent 3 hours trying to figure out how to do it with no luck at all.  I do not want to add a code block to the additional information area.  I want this to appear right next to the product image, not underneath.  There must be a way to do this?  This should be something quick and simple... I just don't get it.

I want my description to look like this: (which took me 1 second to do here)

Design size is 24" x 27" stitched 2 over 2 on 28 count fabric.

This is a digital file that will be emailed to you within 3 business days after purchase.

I want the second sentence to be red.  How do I do this?

Thank you.

• Replies 15
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It may depend on the exact template you are using, but you would target the product description and set up italics to be red instead of italics in Custom CSS. Then when you write out your description, put what you want to be red in italics. So something like this in Design > Custom CSS

.ProductItem-details-excerpt em {
color: #990000 !important;
font-style: normal !important;
}

christyprice.com  🇺🇸 Austin, TX US 

Get my 100+ item Client Process Checklist for $17.
📔 Flourish Journal for Creative Entrepreneurs - 365 days of prompts
🎥 Watch Circle Live: Hello Income (feat. Christy Price and Jeremy Schwartz)
🎬 Watch It's Not Hard to Say Goodbye: Crafting Client Offboarding from Circle Day 2023

Thank you for your response.  I have yet to change anything in the CSS.  I have no experience with that.  I added what you typed there exactly and it didn't work.  I am guessing I have to have more code than that.

So I am guessing there is no easy way to do this...  something that should be a standard thing.

Thank you again.

@xstitchboutique sure thing. If you want to post the link to your site, someone may be able to give you the exact code and walk you through it. 

🎬 Watch It's Not Hard to Say Goodbye: Crafting Client Offboarding from Circle Day 2023

@xstitchboutique,

Try copying and pasting in the code above to Design > Custom CSS. Make sure you have all of it and that there is no error in the window.

Then, edit a product description and italicize the sentence you want to be in the red color. You won't see the red here.

Save it, then open up a new browser window and look at that product on the live site. The sentence you italicized will show up in red.

Thanks so much @xstitchboutique! Could you please vote up my solution (the arrow on top of the 0 on the left of the post) and like the post (bottom right thumbs up symbol)? That lets others know it was solved.

• 4 months later...

hi @xstitchboutique, can you share the link to a product that has the additional info? that would help us see what code to target.

@xstitchboutique try adding this code to Design > Custom CSS. Make sure you have all of it and that there is no error in the window.

Then, edit the product additional information and italicize the sentence you want to be in the red color. You won't see the red here.

Save it, then open up a new browser window and look at that product on the live site. The sentence you italicized will show up in red.

.ProductItem-additional em {
color: #990000 !important;
font-style: normal !important;
}

• 2 weeks later...

We made an add-on you can use to customize text on your site as well. Comes in handy for headlines you want to emphasize, etc. Can be found here: https://www.squareaddons.com/shop

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 1.35.11 PM.png

If you are looking for a way to add Anchor Links, Gallery Blocks, or a Rotating Banner with Content Blocks overlaid in Squarespace 7.1, you can find all these plugins in our Squarespace add-on store here: www.Squareaddons.com -- Enjoy! 

Archived