Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Advanced Search
cindyscillo

Disable banner video on mobile?

Posted (edited)

I'm trying to get the video on golfpadgps.com/tags banner to NOT display and force the fall back image to display instead. I understand from SS the fact that it displays on some mobile devices is by design, however I've been asked to turn it off on mobile regardless of connection speed or browser. This is what I've tried. In inspector, the "display:none" works, but when I put it in the actual custom CSS section of the site, it doesn't do anything.

@media only screen and (max-width: 768px) {
 .title-desc-wrapper has-main-image has-background-video {
   display:none;
 }
}

Edited by Paul2009

Hello

Squarespace don't control whether the background video is shown on mobile devices - it is controlled by your mobile's browser.

In the past, mobiles would not load background videos but this changed recently because newer devices are now powerful enough to display them and an increasing number of networks (4G/5G/WiFi) are fast enough too.

If you want to prevent them, you'll need some CSS. The CSS in your question is incorrect, so first you'll need to remove this. Then add the following (to Design > Custom CSS):

@media only screen and (max-width: 768px) {
 #collection-580a9bee6a4963712b3646b8 .sqs-video-background .custom-fallback-image {
   display: block;
   opacity: 1;
 }
 #collection-580a9bee6a4963712b3646b8 .sqs-video-background iframe {
   display: none;
 }
}

This will remove the video on the specified page only. Let me know how you get on.

-Paul

Squarespace Expert & Professional Developer

Contributors to this forum voluntarily give their time to help you. If we correctly answer your question, please accept the answer by clicking Accept below it (you'll see it when you're logged on). If an answer doesn't help, feel free to ask for more help or wait for other forum users to add their comments and/or answers.

Whenever an accepted answer helps you, please vote it up using the up arrow on the right. This helps other forum users by giving them confidence in an answer.

If a response has helped you, please give thanks using the  like-20-mag.png.3997345d620e40b4760b5d7a667cad54.png button.
Need personalised help? I'm a professional Developer who works with Designers internationally. You can book me via my company's website. www.sf.digital

Hi @Paul2009 ,

I'm having the same issue with my websitehttps://bodyform3d.squarespace.com/landing-page (password is: bodyform3d)

I don't want video on mobile, I want a white background, that I set up as the fallback image.

Any idea how to force that fallback image? I've used the code you mention, but not working on my site..

Thank you so much!

Hi @Paul2009 ,

I'm having the same issue with my websitehttps://bodyform3d.squarespace.com/landing-page (password is: bodyform3d)

I don't want video on mobile, I want a white background, that I set up as the fallback image.

Any idea how to force that fallback image? I've used the code you mention, but not working on my site..

Thank you so much!

The code above is for a specific page on a specific site because it includes a collection ID (#collection-580a9bee6a4963712b3646b8) from the site mentioned in the question. If you remove this element, it will work on similar sites.

If a response has helped you, please give thanks using the  like-20-mag.png.3997345d620e40b4760b5d7a667cad54.png button.
Need personalised help? I'm a professional Developer who works with Designers internationally. You can book me via my company's website. www.sf.digital

Hi Paul,

I am trying to disable the video playing on a cover page when viewed on Mobile and force it to display the backup image?

Regards, Fraser

I dont know enough about this but why does it allow you to enter the code in the cover page settings?