Disable banner video on mobile?

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

I'm trying to get the video on golfpadgps.com/tags banner to NOT display and force the fall back image to display instead. I understand from SS the fact that it displays on some mobile devices is by design, however I've been asked to turn it off on mobile regardless of connection speed or browser. This is what I've tried. In inspector, the "display:none" works, but when I put it in the actual custom CSS section of the site, it doesn't do anything.

@media only screen and (max-width: 768px) {
 .title-desc-wrapper has-main-image has-background-video {
   display:none;
 }
}

Edited by Paul2009
  • Solution

Hello

Squarespace don't control whether the background video is shown on mobile devices - it is controlled by your mobile's browser.

In the past, mobiles would not load background videos but this changed recently because newer devices are now powerful enough to display them and an increasing number of networks (4G/5G/WiFi) are fast enough too.

If you want to prevent them, you'll need some CSS. The CSS in your question is incorrect, so first you'll need to remove this. Then add the following (to Design > Custom CSS):

#collection-580a9bee6a4963712b3646b8 .sqs-video-background .custom-fallback-image {
   display: block;
   opacity: 1;
 }
 #collection-580a9bee6a4963712b3646b8 .sqs-video-background iframe {
   display: none;
 }
}

This will remove the video on the specified page only. Let me know how you get on.

-Paul

Squarespace Expert & Professional Developer

Contributors to this forum voluntarily give their time to help you. If we correctly answer your question, please accept the answer by clicking Accept below it (you'll see it when you're logged on). If an answer doesn't help, feel free to ask for more help or wait for other forum users to add their comments and/or answers.

Whenever an accepted answer helps you, please vote it up using the up arrow on the right. This helps other forum users by giving them confidence in an answer.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Hi @Paul2009 ,

I'm having the same issue with my websitehttps://bodyform3d.squarespace.com/landing-page (password is: bodyform3d)

I don't want video on mobile, I want a white background, that I set up as the fallback image.

Any idea how to force that fallback image? I've used the code you mention, but not working on my site..

Thank you so much!

Hi @Paul2009 ,

I'm having the same issue with my websitehttps://bodyform3d.squarespace.com/landing-page (password is: bodyform3d)

I don't want video on mobile, I want a white background, that I set up as the fallback image.

Any idea how to force that fallback image? I've used the code you mention, but not working on my site..

Thank you so much!

The code above is for a specific page on a specific site because it includes a collection ID (#collection-580a9bee6a4963712b3646b8) from the site mentioned in the question. If you remove this element, it will work on similar sites.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 9 months later...
On 7/10/2019 at 2:01 PM, paul2009 said:

Hello

Squarespace don't control whether the background video is shown on mobile devices - it is controlled by your mobile's browser.

In the past, mobiles would not load background videos but this changed recently because newer devices are now powerful enough to display them and an increasing number of networks (4G/5G/WiFi) are fast enough too.

If you want to prevent them, you'll need some CSS. The CSS in your question is incorrect, so first you'll need to remove this. Then add the following (to Design > Custom CSS):

#collection-580a9bee6a4963712b3646b8 .sqs-video-background .custom-fallback-image {
 }
 }
}

This will remove the video on the specified page only. Let me know how you get on.

-Paul

Contributors to this forum voluntarily give their time to help you. If we correctly answer your question, please accept the answer by clicking Accept below it (you'll see it when you're logged on). If an answer doesn't help, feel free to ask for more help or wait for other forum users to add their comments and/or answers.

Whenever an accepted answer helps you, please vote it up using the up arrow on the right. This helps other forum users by giving them confidence in an answer.

Hi Paul,

Would this work for 7.1 too?  Alternatively, is there a way to change the size of the mobile fallback image, as this looks distorted when displayed on mobile/smaller devices?

I can DM you the URL and password if required. 🙂

Many thanks in advance!

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Muhammad__ said:

Hello,

i want to remove bg video only from desktop and want to show banner on mobile is that possible with SS GUI ?? i don't want to do it with custom code ?? please advice.

You can do it with custom code (Personal Plan)

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2019 at 6:01 PM, paul2009 said:

Hello

}
 }
}

-Paul

Hi, @paul2009  I need help with my mobile banner. its cropping on mobile. please help.

here's the url:

Patientorator.com

Thanks in advance! 

• 7 months later...

Hi all,

I'm having a similar issue, attempting to disable the video on my cover page, and relying on the fallback image I've uploaded to play only when in mobile format.

@paul2009, I've placed the following code in my Cover Page's settings: advanced: code injection window –

@media only screen and (max-width: 768px) 
{.sqs-video-background .custom-fallback-image {
 }
{
 .sqs-video-background iframe {
   display: none;}
}

Unfortunately, I'm seeing that reps on the SS helpline see the fallback image (yay), but I'm still getting the video playing (unresponsively) on my mobile devices here at home (two separate devices, one with cache cleared).

Any advice is appreciated_

• 5 months later...
On 7/10/2019 at 10:50 AM, paul2009 said:

The code above is for a specific page on a specific site because it includes a collection ID (#collection-580a9bee6a4963712b3646b8) from the site mentioned in the question. If you remove this element, it will work on similar sites.

Thanks for this, I tried rmeoving the collection code but it didn't work for my page. I want this page to force the fallback image (not play the video) on mobile: 

https://www.brasswoodptown.com/concierge

Thanks for any help you can provide with code! 

6 hours ago, bcmarimba said:

Thanks for this, I tried rmeoving the collection code but it didn't work for my page. I want this page to force the fallback image (not play the video) on mobile: 

https://www.brasswoodptown.com/concierge

Thanks for any help you can provide with code! 

Add to Design > Custom CSS

/* Mobile show fallback image */
@media screen and (max-width:767px) {
[data-section-id="5fd4e8e13ebe041631392c8d"] .sqs-video-background-native__video-player.video-player {
    display: none !important;
}
[data-section-id="5fd4e8e13ebe041631392c8d"] img {
    opacity: 1 !important;
}
}

Or send to forum message

On 9/30/2021 at 2:46 AM, tuanphan said:

[data-section-id="5fd4e8e13ebe041631392c8d"] .sqs-video-background-native__video-player.video-player {
}
}
}

perfect thank you again!!

On 9/30/2021 at 2:46 AM, tuanphan said:

}
}
}

Shoot, now it's not working on my home page -- help? https://www.brasswoodptown.com/

8 hours ago, bcmarimba said:

Shoot, now it's not working on my home page -- help? https://www.brasswoodptown.com/

If you want it works on all pages, use this new code

.sqs-video-background-native__video-player.video-player {
}
.section-background img {
}
}

Or send to forum message

On 10/6/2021 at 10:44 PM, tuanphan said:

If you want it works on all pages, use this new code

.sqs-video-background-native__video-player.video-player {
}
.section-background img {
}
}

thank you again!!  amazing. 

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone,

I have also been trying to hide the background video from the homepage (but not on the other pages) on mobile, but it's not working.

I have tried many solutions of many different threads. I am obviously doing something wrong but have been unable to work out my mistake!

https://www.muddytripods.com/

I am using Mojave from the Brine family (7.0).

Can you help please? 

Thank you,
Debora

13 hours ago, TheHouseOfMischief said:

Hi everyone,

I have also been trying to hide the background video from the homepage (but not on the other pages) on mobile, but it's not working.

I have tried many solutions of many different threads. I am obviously doing something wrong but have been unable to work out my mistake!

https://www.muddytripods.com/

I am using Mojave from the Brine family (7.0).

Can you help please? 

Thank you,
Debora

Try adding to Design > Custom CSS

/* hide banner video mobile */
@media screen and (max-width:640px) {
body.homepage .Parallax-item:first-child iframe {
    opacity: 0 !important;
    visibility: hidden !important;
}
}

Or send to forum message

• 2 weeks later...

@tuanphan

@paul2009

I'm stumped and couldn't find an answer anywhere...

THE GOOD:
I was able to use one of the above CSS to get the Home banner to display as the fallback image on any mobile device while displaying as a video on any desktop.

THE BAD:
However, now the fallback image is momentarily flashing on desktop before the video begins, which is very annoying and affects the final look. I understand that it's just a placeholder while the video loads, but it's an issue. 

THE SOLUTION?:

Ideally, I'd like to have this current fallback image continue to populate on any mobile as it is doing now. But I would like a plain black background (instead of the fallback image) to display on desktop while the video loads.

Alternatively for mobile to get a similar end result, perhaps we could implement a plain black fallback background but add a text overlay if there is a way to make the banner text transparent on desktop but visible on mobile.

The site is: https://arrowheadbrands.com. Please let me know if what I'm requesting is even possible or if there is something else you might suggest.

Thank you kindly,
Brent

16 hours ago, LUDLOW said:

@tuanphan

@paul2009

I'm stumped and couldn't find an answer anywhere...

THE GOOD:
I was able to use one of the above CSS to get the Home banner to display as the fallback image on any mobile device while displaying as a video on any desktop.

THE BAD:
However, now the fallback image is momentarily flashing on desktop before the video begins, which is very annoying and affects the final look. I understand that it's just a placeholder while the video loads, but it's an issue. 

THE SOLUTION?:

Ideally, I'd like to have this current fallback image continue to populate on any mobile as it is doing now. But I would like a plain black background (instead of the fallback image) to display on desktop while the video loads.

Alternatively for mobile to get a similar end result, perhaps we could implement a plain black fallback background but add a text overlay if there is a way to make the banner text transparent on desktop but visible on mobile.

The site is: https://arrowheadbrands.com. Please let me know if what I'm requesting is even possible or if there is something else you might suggest.

Thank you kindly,
Brent

Do you still need help?

Or send to forum message