Under Construction. What's going on???

Go to solution Solved by Jamble123,

10 minutes ago, Owens_UT1 said:

@derricksrandomviews, my website, dougowensutah.com, is having the same problem. Could you let me know what I need to do? I don't just want to randomly start deleting IPs. Thanks!

The fix is to simply access your Domain Panel then choose DNS settings, delete the defaults and reload them. It may take a few minutes for the changes to take place. 

Edited by derricksrandomviews
1 hour ago, derricksrandomviews said:

The fix is to simply access your Domain Panel then choose DNS settings, delete the defaults and reload them. It may take a few minutes for the changes to take place. 

Thanks for the reply. I deleted the defaults, could you explain what I do to reload them? Now that they're deleted I'm having trouble finding DNS settings again.

On 9/20/2024 at 1:55 PM, derricksrandomviews said:

Go here: 

https://domains.squarespace.com/ You may have to log in with the same account as the domain, then hit manage domain, then choose domain and the  DNS will be in the panel on the left side of the screen. 

Thanks for the help and prompt replies. Unfortunately I tried that a couple times without any success. Squarespace's tech support hasn't been very helpful so I'll probably have to get in touch with an independent IT person. If you have any other suggestions they'd be appreciated but I understand if there's not much else you can do.

dougowensutah.com is a Squarespace domain with an active Squarespace site SSL. The DNS records look correct but are not connecting properly. The fix that has worked for others is to access your domain management panel, choose the domain, then go to the DNS settings on the left panel, delete the defaults, and reload them. I think it's worth another try to get your site up. 

https://account.squarespace.com/domains

Edited by derricksrandomviews

Tg

2 hours ago, mjengosasaafricaltd said:

@derricksrandomviewsmy domain is having the same issue. I purchased my domain (mjengosasaafricaltd.com) a week ago, and it's not up yet. It's saying 'we are under construction'. It's my first purchase, I made it from google workspace and was transferred to squarespace, kindly assist.

The DNS records look correct, as does your SSL but it seems, as it has with others that the connection did not quite work. Go to your DNS panel here: https://domains.squarespace.com/  manage the domain, select it, go to the DNS panel on the left side of the screen,  then delete the defaults exit, and go to your website configuration, down at the bottom click the settings gear icon, then choose domains/email. On the right side of the page choose "Use a domain I own" Then you will be asked for the domain name, and follow the prompts from there. 

@derricksrandomviews if you have a moment I'd really appreciate your help here please - I have two domains both with the same problem as mentioned by others, flourishcoalition.org and shrimpwelfareproject.org.

I've tried most things now, including connecting each domain to a placeholder site and back again, and deleting and readding presets.

Both domains will only show the SS placeholder page on their home page, but flourishcoaliton.org/other and shrimpwelfareproject.org/anyotherthing will load successfully. Flourish on reloading the SS defaults I get:

@

A

CNAME

ext-sq.squarespace.com

So in theory the holding page shouldn't display.

On the shrimp page, I did the same thing here but no amount of deleting and readding the SS defaults will see SS add anything other than A records that include the landing page (i.e. xxx.xxx.23.xx) get added by SS i.e.:

Also adding custom A and CNAME records excluding the .23. records don't seem to do anything. I think I've tried everything here! My only suspicion is both domains have CNAME records as  xxx.dv.googlehosted.com which I thought was for workspace so unrelated (?)

@

A

@

A

@

A

@

A

CNAME

ext-sq.squarespace.com

Edited by Jamble123

There is a pattern with the DNS settings but it is not always consistent. For example, I have two domains pointing to my website, one has one A record 

A  derricksrandomviews.com   14400  198.185.159.145  Check IP Blacklist

The second one has four addresses including two with .23. That indicates that .23 is not always a parking page. 

flourishcoalition.org  is up and running both with the www and without. 

shrimpwelfareproject.org is up but www.shrimpwelfareproject.org the holding page is still there. It should "go away" also. 

On 9/20/2024 at 5:14 PM, Owens_UT1 said:

@derricksrandomviews, my website, dougowensutah.com, is having the same problem. Could you let me know what I need to do? I don't just want to randomly start deleting IPs. Thanks!

Hello, bonjour everyone,

Nice to realise I am not the only one affected with this black page under construction instead of my site I was so proud of. The bad news is that I read all your posts, thank you, but after trying, nothing seems to work … at a loss what to do now except sending emails with no response from the Squarespace platform 

anything new? Merci beaucoup!

Cécile 

from a small village on France 🇫🇷 

1 hour ago, derricksrandomviews said:

There is a pattern with the DNS settings but it is not always consistent. For example, I have two domains pointing to my website, one has one A record 

A  derricksrandomviews.com   14400  198.185.159.145  Check IP Blacklist

The second one has four addresses including two with .23. That indicates that .23 is not always a parking page. 

flourishcoalition.org  is up and running both with the www and without. 

shrimpwelfareproject.org is up but www.shrimpwelfareproject.org the holding page is still there. It should "go away" also. 

Thanks for the reply Derrick!

I can see flourishcoalition.org is up now. Phew!

And from what I'm reading from you as regards shrimpwelfareproject.org,  I need to sit tight for a bit longer. It's odd that every page on shrimpwelfareproject.org loads but not the home page (i.e. https://shrimpwelfareproject.org/corporate-engagement)

I'm not used to this since I regularly use other registrars for my SS sites, setting the DNS settings manually and sites go live within 30 mins!

So for posterity, anyone with the same issue, here's what I did!

- Deleted my Squarespace presets

- Added them again

- Deleted them again

- Connected the site to an empty Squarespace site when the above did nothing, and set the (empty) site to password protected to see that when loading the URL it loads the password prompt

- Connected the site back to the main domain

- Added and deleted the presets

I did all of the above around 10-15 times starting Monday, and Thursday we're most of the way there at least with one site.

I suspect some of the above I didn't need to do and if I had taken Derrick's advice alone (which he has kindly given across several SS forum posts) and then waited this would have also seen the site go live.

Thanks again Derrick for the advice. It's a shame Squarespace haven't addressed this quirk with their own domain tool, since it could have saved you some posts!

I hate to tell you this, but it looks like shrimpwelfareproject.org has gone offline again, www.shrimpwelfareproject.org never came back up. Sometimes the defaults have to be reset more than once, and this may be one of those times. 

Once again, access the DNS records delete the defaults, click the red trash can go back to the site config, hit the gear icon at the bottom choose domains/email then domains, then "use a domain that I own", and then type it back in and follow the prompts from there. 

3 hours ago, Lafortbelle said:

Hello, bonjour everyone,

Nice to realise I am not the only one affected with this black page under construction instead of my site I was so proud of. The bad news is that I read all your posts, thank you, but after trying, nothing seems to work … at a loss what to do now except sending emails with no response from the Squarespace platform 

anything new? Merci beaucoup!

Cécile 

from a small village on France 🇫🇷 

What is your domain? Where is it hosted? Where is your website hosted? I ask because Squarespce now has such a huge mix of domains and websites they host and are hosted by others, that it is hard to know how to help without specific information. 

Derrick

• Solution
16 hours ago, derricksrandomviews said:

I hate to tell you this, but it looks like shrimpwelfareproject.org has gone offline again, www.shrimpwelfareproject.org never came back up. Sometimes the defaults have to be reset more than once, and this may be one of those times. 

Once again, access the DNS records delete the defaults, click the red trash can go back to the site config, hit the gear icon at the bottom choose domains/email then domains, then "use a domain that I own", and then type it back in and follow the prompts from there. 

Whoops! Thanks for flagging. I've done as you mentioned.