Google Search Console: Page with Redirect & Alternate Page with Proper Canonical Tag

I have a few clients at the moment who are seeing indexing errors using Google Search Console — mostly the errors "Duplicate, Google chose different canonical than user" and "Page with redirect". 

After some researching, it looks like some of these errors are to be expected, and not actually affecting the SEO of the site. However, clients get multiple emails per page from Google Search Console that alert them to these errors (with subject lines like "New reasons prevent pages in a sitemap from being indexed") and freak out that their site is not set up properly for SEO. 

Is there any way to remove these errors in GSC? I've tried explaining to clients that these are more informational errors and their site is still available properly in Google Search, but I would love to be able to not encounter these errors at all to avoid this confusion. 

• Replies 3
  • Views 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/13/2024 at 4:32 PM, Collaborada said:

Hi @kellyetz clients can select "unsubscribe" at the bottom of GSC emails: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/140528?hl=en

This seems like the best solution for what you're asking about! You're right that GSC will show a lot of errors that don't really impact SEO for Squarespace sites.

Essentially, GSC is built for sites that are custom-built from the ground up, not sites that are built on a content management system like Squarespace. Since GSC isn't built to read the Squarespace-specific setup, it doesn't really have the correct notifications built-in, either.

In other words, GSC is doing its best but it gets a little confused sometimes.

If it helps, Squarespace has a list of some common GSC errors:

Understanding Google SEO emails and console errors

Edited by PixelSoda
typo