Replace image with video in strip gallery in project page

Go to solution Solved by miserytakeme,

Hi all, I hope you're well!

So I'm looking to replace an image with a video in a gallery strip section in a project page in a portfolio page. 

I've managed to do it with the project pages thumbnails using the portfolio header code injection, but I'm struggling to target this specific image. I'll attach a screenshot highlighting the image in particular.

The way I did it in the portfolio thumbnails is by displaying the video with the thumbnail and hiding the original image, I'm guessing it will need to be a similar method here.

I'm also assuming this will need to be done with a code block as project pages don't have individual header code injection like in the Advanced settings of a page. 

This is the page in particular (my site is public and there is no password required): https://miserytakeme.design/portfolio/below-the-neck-an-imminent-end 

This is the static link for the video I'd like to swap in: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/603e3b9f038b852d44eabf1a/t/65eb03b5fad71e419837cf52/1709900742806/BTN+CANVAS+95+PADDING.mp4

If anyone has any advice or is able to help me with this, I would be eternally grateful!

Thank you so much for your time

Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 6.19.07 pm.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Solution

If anyone is interested, I did get this to work with code but it was super long winded, overly complex and a pain to update and replicate across other pages.

I have since worked with @Beyondspace after purchasing their Lightbox Studio plugin, and due to implementing this, my code was now obsolete and stopped working. I contacted them about this, and due to my request, they implemented video natively into their plugin!

It works absolutely amazingly, and is super easy and quick to implement and update, without any complex code per page! An added bonus now is my lightboxes also have scroll zoom / pinch-to-zoom on top of video support, which is incredible and a serious game changer for me as a freelance graphic designer who often works with video and motion graphics.

It's a shame that these simple features are not natively supported within Squarespace, but their plugin adds these in and is definitely worth its (affordable) price. I urge anyone who is in a similar position to me to seriously consider this plugin and supporting this seriously talented developer! 

They actually added a case study on their site about this specifically, so if you want a deep dive into how it may help you as a videographer / 3D artist / motion designer / anyone who works with video or needs to surpass the limitations of Gif's, give it a read because it has made such a difference to my website and will improve my site's visitors experience greatly.

https://beyondspace-showcase.squarespace.com/case-studies/transforming-visual-presentation-case-study-of-misery-take-me-design