Website doesn't appear in Google

Go to solution Solved by melody495,

Hi, I have an issue with SEO’s. I am a landscape, wildlife, wildflowers and urban photographer aiming to sell my digital images that were taken in Australia, New Zealand, South-East Asia and Europe (where I am currently living) via my newly created website.

I've published my SS website (domain: www.aperture-pix.com) a few weeks ago. The domain has been acquired earlier this year. Even though I've followed all the Squarespace prompts on SEO's and populated my site accordingly, the website is not coming up on google searches (using firefox and brave browser), even when I put in my company name: aperturePIX. The only thing that does show up is my linkedin profile.

I added quite a bit of text to my website including the key words that people should find me by of course – photography 15 times, wildflowers 12 times, wildlife 11 times, urban 15 times, nature 15 times, Australia 57 times, New Zealand 39 times.) But maybe that it still not enough?  
I only added a SEO title + description to the homepage and the other pages a few days ago though as I somehow missed that previously. So not sure if that's the issue or if I am missing something else?
I am not planning on doing a blog at the moment (I am not a blogger / writer) but might do this in the future. 

I've also just connected my site with the Google Search Console. 

I haven’t tried SEOSpace or other tools yet as a) these can be quite costly and b) I first wanted to see if anyone might be able to help in the SS community.

Any other tips you have would be much appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. 

Nadja

• 3 months later...

I am having troubles getting my website - www.electwarrenbrown.com - to show up in Google Search. I'm not looking for peak performance, but when some searches "Warren Brown Pagosa" or "Warren Brown County Commissioner" I'd expect to see something. Bing and Yahoo both deliver great results. I had an issue where my page was showing up with the built in squarespace domain, and removed that from the search results. 

I have indexed the site, submitted sitemaps, and waited a few days, but nothing seems to be changing. Any help or ideas out there? 

14 hours ago, NathanaelWard said:

I have indexed the site, submitted sitemaps, and waited a few days, but nothing seems to be changing. Any help or ideas out there? 

Hi, if your site is new, it can take a couple of weeks for Google to index your website, even after submitting your site map. 

I would give it some time.

But you could check individual pages to see if any errors are stopping Google from indexing your page. You can do this in Google Search Console.

I have a blog with a bit more detail on Why my website is not appearing on Google? This will tell you how to check individual pages. 

15 hours ago, NathanaelWard said:

I am having troubles getting my website - www.electwarrenbrown.com - to show up in Google Search. I'm not looking for peak performance, but when some searches "Warren Brown Pagosa" or "Warren Brown County Commissioner" I'd expect to see something. 

This is a difference issue to the one above. Once your website is in Google's index, if you want your site to appear on Google search based on different search terms, this is called Search Engine Optimisation. 

I would first check that your site is indexed first, and see if this resolved your search result issue. 

Hope this helps. 

-------- > 👆 <---------- Please quote or @ me when replying, or I won't get a notification 

Melody | Squarespace Website Developer
e: melody@melodylee.tech

💻 💁‍♀️ 1-2-1 Squarespace Training session <- feeling stuck and want to learn?
👩‍💻 💁‍♀️ Website help <- send me your to-do list
 Did I help? I like coffee (Thank you)
🧰 See the tools I use (contain affiliate links)

Hi @NathanaelWard. The site is indexed (but isn't displaying) and it shows on other search engines, meaning you are experiencing the indexing issue discussed here

Have SEO questions? Chances are we've written about it! Try a quick Google search to find our advice. Or for personalized support, see our consulting and training sessions.  Official Squarespace Experts since 2014 

Hi - @NathanaelWard,

I am glad to know that you successfully removed the built-in Squarespace domain. Hopefully, you implemented the solutions I provided in your first post. Below, I've added some insights that could be helpful for you:

• It takes some time for the new website to appear in search results. Please check this resource to learn how to improve the visibility of a Squarespace website on Google and this YouTube video.
  • If you want your site to appear on Google search based on search terms "Warren Brown Pagosa" or "Warren Brown County Commissioner," you can follow this checklist:
    • Finetune your site settings.
    • Ensure your Heading / H1 and SEO Title are optimized for SERPs.
    • Optimize your content.
    • Make your URLs click-worthy and optimized for SERPs.
    • You will find the full Squarespace SEO checklist hereIf you prefer to receive personalized recommendations on your website itself, check out SEOSpace.

I hope it helps. If you require further clarification, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
Sadul Sifat.

SEOSpace Team

SEOSpace - The SEO Plugin for Squarespace.

Get a Free Squarespace SEO Audit: https://www.seospace.co.uk/squarespace-seo-audit-score

seospace-logo.png

Thanks @MDenise sorry, I only saw your response now as I don't get notifications when someone replies. As I mentioned in my post, I had just connected to the google console, so, yes that was the main issue. I've also signed up to SEO space now and have done a heaps more work on my website. It's a bit of a process but gets easier once you know what you are doing:-) 

Its a bit confusing that SEOSpace recommends different things to SS, ie different lengths of SEO title and metadescription etc, so I am not sure which is better. 

Regards,

Nadja

Hello,

My website is now online for +2 weeks. The site doens't appear in google. 

Earlier this week, I also verified the website in Google Search Console, but now it's been over 72 hours and the website still doesn't appear in Google.

I also purchased the domain name through Squarespace.

Can anyone help with this, please?

Thanks,
Stefanie

Hi,

Type this into Google

site:yourwebsite.com

Does your website show up?

If yes, then your website is indexed by Google. The issue of not seeing your website in Google is to do with SEO.

If not, then I would wait, as 72 hours is not that long, could take weeks for a new website. Submitting your sitemap in Google Search Console can help speed things up.

-------- > 👆 <---------- Please quote or @ me when replying, or I won't get a notification 

• Solution
Posted (edited)
On 11/22/2023 at 1:37 PM, NadjaK said:

I've published my SS website (domain: www.aperture-pix.com) a few weeks ago. ...the website is not coming up on google searches (using firefox and brave browser), even when I put in my company name: aperturePIX.

Hi @NadjaK it can take Google quite some time (up to a few weeks) to index a new website. If you've connected to Google Search Console and there are no errors, then patience is key.

I just did this check on Google

site: www.aperture-pix.com

and can see that your website is in Google's index, so it is searchable on Google. That is good!

I have noticed that your business name contains words that are very specific but also highly searched keywords for photography; "aperture" and "pix".

This unfortunately means that you are competing with a lot of photography content on the internet. 

SEO experts might be able to help more on this front. But I would suggest focusing your SEO effort on keywords that your potential audience would search to find your content, rather than your business name alone.

Hope this helps. 

Edited by melody495

Hi,

Thank you so much for your respond.
As you said, I've submitted the sitemap in Google Search Console. I guess I'll just wait for now. It's frustrating that it's not visible immediately 🙂

I also added my Google Analytics ID to the 
External API Keys.

Hope it will appear soon in search engines.

Have a nice day.

7 hours ago, stef-thys said:

Thank you so much for your respond.
As you said, I've submitted the sitemap in Google Search Console. I guess I'll just wait for now. It's frustrating that it's not visible immediately 🙂

"Not appearing on Google", it depends on what you mean by this! What did you search on Google?

Did you try the site search? This will confirm if Google knows about your site or not. This might not be the same as your site "appearing on Google" though. Being in Google's index and for Google to show it are different things. 

In terms of being indexed, unfortunately no one can control how long Google takes to index a website, if you've done everything and no errors, the only thing is to wait. 

Edited by melody495

On 2/23/2024 at 2:20 PM, melody495 said:

Hi, if your site is new, it can take a couple of weeks for Google to index your website, even after submitting your site map. 

I would give it some time.

But you could check individual pages to see if any errors are stopping Google from indexing your page. You can do this in Google Search Console.

I have a blog with a bit more detail on Why my website is not appearing on Google? This will tell you how to check individual pages. 

This is a difference issue to the one above. Once your website is in Google's index, if you want your site to appear on Google search based on different search terms, this is called Search Engine Optimisation. 

I would first check that your site is indexed first, and see if this resolved your search result issue. 

Hope this helps. 

Thanks Melody.