Problems with Google Search Console and Indexing Old Squarespace URL

A few years ago, we built a super simple site for a local political candidate. He opted to run again in 2024, and I went to put his site www.electwarrenbrown.com back online with some minor adjustments. I however have not been able to successfully have Google index the new page. (Bing, and Yahoo are functioning fine).

A simple google search for "Warren Brown Pagosa" or "Elect Warren Brown" displays the old, automatically generated squarespace (https://jellyfish-glockenspiel-65pb.squarespace.com/) URL which isn't active, as I changed the prefix. How can I remove this from search results and get the actual site to start appearing on Google? 

I've requested indexing multiple times in Google Search Console. Not sure what I'm doing wrong here. 

Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 10.30.45 AM.png

• Replies 2
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi - @NathanaelWard

Here are a few things that should help out.

Step One: Remove the built-in domain from the search result

• Did you change the built-in domain that is currently indexed on Google? You can tell Google to remove this https://jellyfish-glockenspiel-65pb.squarespace.com/ from the search result if you still own the built-in domain. 
  • You can edit your built-in domain to make it look exactly like the old one. Here's the guideline (you can try it and check if it works).

The process of removing the old domain from Google:

• Connect the "built-in domain" with Google Search Console and verify the ownership. (this is an important part, as we want to remove the built-in domain). Check these resources (video tutorial, official document).
  • Submit a URL removal request for the entire domain (built-in domain in this case) via Google Search Console, and Google will remove it from the index and search results.

Step Two: Focus on the new domain

Now, if you can't implement the step one, here's what you need to focus on. I can see only the homepage is currently indexed on Google. To provide Google with more data about your website:

• Add the sitemap of the new domain on Google Search Console (here's a tutorial)
  • Use the URL inspection tool on Google Search Console, run live tests for the other URLs on the website one by one, and send indexing requests.
  • Optimize the new website for SEO, which will help you rank for those target keywords on search results. You can use SEOSpace if you want to.

If you require further clarification, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
Sadul Sifat. 

SEOSpace Team

SEOSpace - The SEO Plugin for Squarespace.

Get a Free Squarespace SEO Audit: https://www.seospace.co/squarespace-seo-audit-score

seospace-logo.png