Switching from 7.0 to 7.1 currently using Aviator

Go to solution Solved by RRD,

I've been on Squarespace for the last 11 years using the Aviator template on 7.0. I'm considering switching to 7.1 and Squarespace  says I should first switch templates to something in the Brine or Bedford families. Any suggestions on which family and or template would be best to switch over to from Aviator. I have a shop, member site, and newsletter. I have a lot going on on my site so am afraid this is going to be a big headache first switching templates, and then switching to 7.1. Help please.

I think they are suggesting Brine or Bedford because the look of 7.1 is based on the Brine family and Bedford inspired the Brine family. Both like 7.1 have page sections, and parallax scrolling if you want it. 7.1 is a major configuration design tool change from 7.0 but if it is the look you want, then Brine will be a much easier "upgrade" to make. If you switch to Brine I would stay with it. It is considered by many professional web site designers to still be the best template on the web. 

Thank you for this info. I will look into Brine first. I'm not sure I need to move to 7.1, but thought it would make my site more flexible. I am not a huge tech person, but have managed to make a successful website using 7.0 for the last 11 years. I think that moving to 7.1 might be above my pay grade and I don't want mess up what has been a good thing so far. Do you think there are any big advantages of 7.1 that I am missing out on? I appreciate your time and advice. 

@RRD I posted a guide for anyone considering an upgrade here: How to upgrade from Squarespace 7.0 to 7.1 in 2024. At the end of the guide, it describes the features that you'll benefit from if you upgrade.

Of course if you decide not to upgrade, Aviator will continue to function for some years to come! It just won't benefit from those newer features.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I'm Paul. A SQSP User for 18 yrs, I joined Circle when it launched in 2016 and have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL, providing expertise and extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee fuels my work.

Book paid help with a Squarespace Domain

What I really want to do is sell fabric by the half yard on my site. I see you have a guide for doing this for 7.1 but not for 7.0. I would use a tag - by the half yard - but have no idea how to code this for 7.0. I know I am asking a lot, but would the code be wildly different? 

• Solution

I was able to use the info from a separate forum from paul2009 to insert the code for selling fabric by the half yard on my 7.0 version. Yay! I don't think I will need to switch over to 7.1 now. May consider it in the future.