Connecting Square POS with Squarespace

Hi yall!

I have a client who uses Square POS in her beauty salon for her booking appointments and to sell products. 

She doesn't have a site yet (we are currently building it), but she'd like to integrate her products and appointments into her Squarespace website, so whenever people are booking or buying at the salon or online, everything is connected (quantity, promotions, etc.)

Is it possible? Thanks!

11 hours ago, abbiericher said:

I have a client who uses Square POS..she'd like to integrate her products and appointments into her Squarespace website, so whenever people are booking or buying at the salon or online, everything is connected (quantity, promotions, etc.)

Square POS can't integrate directly with Squarespace Commerce. However, there are [imperfect] workarounds, including a Squarespace extension called SKU IQ that can synchronise inventory between Squarespace and Square POS (also Clover or Lightspeed). Note that there's an additional subscription for this (US$35/month for up to 100 orders).

Square appointment booking can usually be embedded into a Squarespace section. 

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

7 hours ago, paul2009 said:

Square POS can't integrate directly with Squarespace Commerce. However, there are [imperfect] workarounds, including a Squarespace extension called SKU IQ that can synchronise inventory between Squarespace and Square POS (also Clover or Lightspeed). Note that there's an additional subscription for this (US$35/month for up to 100 orders).

Square appointment booking can usually be embedded into a Squarespace section. 

Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely recommend that to my client!

I saw online that the embedded version of Square Appointments make your Squarespace website bug in the back-end... So I searched online and found that we can integrate Acuity directly in Square. Is it like the POS and only available in the US or is it fine in Canada?

1 hour ago, abbiericher said:

I saw online that the embedded version of Square Appointments make your Squarespace website bug in the back-end... So I searched online and found that we can integrate Acuity directly in Square. Is it like the POS and only available in the US or is it fine in Canada?

If there are issues embedding Square Appointments, I'd imagine they are cosmetic and can be fixed with CSS. That said, I haven't used Square Appointments 🙂.

To my knowledge, Acuity Scheduling doesn't have any country restrictions, other than the limitations that their payment processors may impose.

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't tell you how often Square + Squarespace comes up, and every time -- I'm confused as to how to proceed or answer. I thought you could use Square for in-person product payments -- and it would interact correctly with Sqsp Commerce website. BUT, that you can't use Square for online store purchases in Commerce or Acuity appointments (aka you can use it in your brick and mortar store, but you can't sell products on your website w/ Square).   Is that right? Do I have this wrong? 

It's especially confusing because the above post says you can't integrate Square POS but Squarespace's own website specifically says "Accept in-person payments with Square hardware."  

So which is it? 

Example: I have a potential Salon client who wants to sell appointments and products on her SS site and wants to use a Square card-reader in person for on-site purchases in the salon . Is this possible or no?

Thanks!

On 2/27/2024 at 10:19 PM, raeroshow said:

I can't tell you how often Square + Squarespace comes up, and every time -- I'm confused as to how to proceed or answer. It's especially confusing because the above post says you can't integrate Square POS but Squarespace's own website specifically says "Accept in-person payments with Square hardware."  

I think the confusion comes from the fact that the company "Square" and their solution, "Square POS", share the same name. I tried to clear this up in my post called Why is Squarespace POS so confusing?

First, let me try to clarify what I said above when I stated "Square POS can't integrate directly with Squarespace Commerce". The point of sale system called "Square POS" (which includes fancy hardware like Registers and software for inventory management) cannot integrate directly with Squarespace Commerce. 

However, you can buy a simple piece of Square hardware called a card reader (not their Register) and use this to read cards and take payments through the Squarespace App, that will then be recorded on Squarespace, not on Square POS. However, that is the extent of the integration.

This means that you can use "Square", the company, to process payments, but you cannot use "Square POS" with Squarespace. At least not unless you want to run two independent inventory and payment systems and try to sync stock levels with a third party service.

Sorry if that makes it more confusing!

Here are some other posts:

Edited by paul2009

@paul2009 Thank you so much. "You need to select one or the other for your inventory management. " - that right there is the key. Also, thank you for explaining the difference between Square POS and just a square reader - I was using those interchangeably not knowing there was this big difference. 

Thanks for the clarification. I bookmarked your other post for the future, as this is sure to come up again!

Best,

Rachel 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/28/2024 at 4:49 AM, paul2009 said:

I think the confusion comes from the fact that the company "Square" and their solution, "Square POS", share the same name. I tried to clear this up in my post called Why is Squarespace POS so confusing?

First, let me try to clarify what I said above when I stated "Square POS can't integrate directly with Squarespace Commerce". The point of sale system called "Square POS" (which includes fancy hardware like Registers and software for inventory management) cannot integrate directly with Squarespace Commerce. 

However, you can buy a simple piece of Square hardware called a card reader (not their Register) and use this to read cards and take payments through the Squarespace App, that will then be recorded on Squarespace, not on Square POS. However, that is the extent of the integration.

This means that you can use "Square", the company, to process payments, but you cannot use "Square POS" with Squarespace. At least not unless you want to run two independent inventory and payment systems and try to sync stock levels with a third party service.

Sorry if that makes it more confusing!

Here are some other posts:

What you are saying about the Square reader, is that accurate for Canada or US?

13 minutes ago, kbradfield said:

What you are saying about the Square reader, is that accurate for Canada or US?

@kbradfield Point of Sale is currently only available in the US.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

How do you check out a customer in person? I don't understand that process. Do I go to the website and add items to the cart then proceed to chekout as normal? Or do I need to go to a certain process inside of the squarespace design side?

5 hours ago, VSGNC said:

How do you check out a customer in person?

If you’re in the US, you can checkout a customer in person using the Squarespace App for iOS or Android.