Can't redirect root domain

Go to solution Solved by ArmandRose,

Oooh nooo.. I'm having this exact situation and I keep getting back generic responses from Squarespace saying they are looking into it but don't know when it'll be fixed. According to the first post here this has been going on since November of last year. This does not fill me with confidence that they are actually anywhere near close to solving this. For a first time customer I'm not pleased with what's happening or the customer service so far.

7 hours ago, ACRutten said:

Oooh nooo.. I'm having this exact situation and I keep getting back generic responses from Squarespace saying they are looking into it but don't know when it'll be fixed. According to the first post here this has been going on since November of last year. This does not fill me with confidence that they are actually anywhere near close to solving this. For a first time customer I'm not pleased with what's happening or the customer service so far.

That's about the gist of things. I'm currently trying out the wwwizer method, but it's nevertheless disappointing that the issue persists. Been getting the same responses also.

If you are having trouble with forwarding your Squarespace root domain URL to your outside web page, make sure to delete all your DNS records. sign out of Squarespace and then signing. and add the new records. Do not add  A N/A 198.185.159.144. I am using Google Sites, so I have to add the following 

www CNAME ghs.googlehosted.com. 

N/A 198.185.159.145

N/A 198.49.23.144

N/A 198.49.23.145 

the other CNAME, which I redacted is the domain verification from Google Ownership verification details, and the Squarespace domain is now automatically forwarding to my Google sites. See the attached picture.

PS. I am a freelance web developer helping people with low budgets set up their websites with Google Sites, PayPal, and Squarespace domains. example of my work. my client's website, see.  https://www.zeebayafricanfoods.com/ and https://www.intouchsolutionsllc.com/ if you would like to contact me elvizbiz@gmail.com. 

Screenshot_23-2-2024_134121_coconut-ruby-x3py.squarespace.com.jpeg

An easy workaround for this that worked for me is using URL Mapping. (Dev Tools > Url Mappings)

My client needs to re-direct his website temporarily for a merch drop on his Shopify store so I used a 302 re-direct. Here's the formula:

https://yourwebsite.com/ -> https://newwebsite.com/ 302

I've had this same issue with my domain from squarespace linked to a Google Site, trying to get it resolved...

From squarespace support:

To summarize--upon visiting your domain, I see that typing www.moliternocarpentry.com leads me to your site, but typing your root domain moliternocarpentry.com (without the "www") does not.

We’re currently investigating an issue with root domains (without the "www") not redirecting to Google Sites—thanks for reporting this to us. Our Engineering teams are prioritizing a fix for this as we speak.

There are many variables that we test against before we release a fix, so we can’t provide an exact timeframe for a resolution. We can’t always follow up personally when a fix is released due to the volume of reports we receive for this issue.

That said, these reports are crucial for us as we improve our platform. If you notice any other unusual behavior, please contact us again.

In the meantime, you may continue using your "www" domain, or you may also choose to change and share your built-in domain as well:

On 2/27/2024 at 10:08 PM, smoliterno said:

I've had this same issue with my domain from squarespace linked to a Google Site, trying to get it resolved...

From squarespace support:

To summarize--upon visiting your domain, I see that typing www.moliternocarpentry.com leads me to your site, but typing your root domain moliternocarpentry.com (without the "www") does not.

We’re currently investigating an issue with root domains (without the "www") not redirecting to Google Sites—thanks for reporting this to us. Our Engineering teams are prioritizing a fix for this as we speak.

There are many variables that we test against before we release a fix, so we can’t provide an exact timeframe for a resolution. We can’t always follow up personally when a fix is released due to the volume of reports we receive for this issue.

That said, these reports are crucial for us as we improve our platform. If you notice any other unusual behavior, please contact us again.

In the meantime, you may continue using your "www" domain, or you may also choose to change and share your built-in domain as well:

Great! Thanks for sharing.

On 2/23/2024 at 6:20 PM, Etanyi said:

If you are having trouble with forwarding your Squarespace root domain URL to your outside web page, make sure to delete all your DNS records. sign out of Squarespace and then signing. and add the new records. Do not add  A N/A 198.185.159.144. I am using Google Sites, so I have to add the following 

www CNAME ghs.googlehosted.com. 

N/A 198.185.159.145

N/A 198.49.23.144

N/A 198.49.23.145 

the other CNAME, which I redacted is the domain verification from Google Ownership verification details, and the Squarespace domain is now automatically forwarding to my Google sites. See the attached picture.

PS. I am a freelance web developer helping people with low budgets set up their websites with Google Sites, PayPal, and Squarespace domains. example of my work. my client's website, see.  https://www.zeebayafricanfoods.com/ and https://www.intouchsolutionsllc.com/ if you would like to contact me elvizbiz@gmail.com. 

Screenshot_23-2-2024_134121_coconut-ruby-x3py.squarespace.com.jpeg

Thanks... but your https://intouchsolutionsllc.com/ and https://zeebayafricanfoods.com/ are not working right now.

Same issue. Tried all suggestions above and nothing worked.

Seems that Squarespace removed their site mapping section/renamed it to domaining forwarding?

I'm very disappointed that this is an issue, I've contacted Squarespace and will post an update shortly.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, 

I was having the same naked domain forwarding issue and couldn't set up Domain Forwarding on my Sq Space domain page.  Kept getting the same issues that others above mentioned when trying to SAVE the forward rule.  But I think I found a way to fix it.  This applies to Google Sites hosted websites. 

When you add the CNAME record as shown below, as instructed by Google Sites when you add the custom domain to the Google Sites settings, I did not have the period "." after the CNAME.  See image below (no period at the end).

image.png.9e138f5e45223458f17852872b4386a0.png

When I added the "." so the CNAME is:  "ghs.googlehosted.com."  (without the quotes), then I was able to create and save the forwarding rule in Sq Space domain page.  It said it should take 24-48 hours to start working.  Fingers crossed!  I just did it, so will check again in a day or two to see if it's working.  But this is farther than I was able to get before, so hopefully it will work!  

Following up from my post from yesterday, I just checked my naked domain today with browsers that didn't work before I made the updates described above, and it worked!!  So problem solved.  You just have to add the period (".") to the end of  "ghs.googlehosted.com."  then do the Domain Forwarding from @ to www on your main domain settings page.  It took a day for this to start working.  Yay!

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this.

I published my naked domain places never anticipating this issue. If I can't figure this out soon I might be forced to change everything to my subdomain.  

The really embarrassing part is I usually am the guy who helps other people with this stuff, but there is not much I can do when it says "try again later".  What's later?  Weeks months?  Years?

I am having the same issue, but I deleted the default Squarespace settings days ago.  (Still an issue)  We are trying to use Domain Forwarding, but it only allows me to enter the root domain, not WWW.domain.org.  Tech support is worthless, telling to wait ANOTHER 72 hours, then I have the same issue.  I phoned, and no one is home...

Edited by kywater