How to display tags on a product page

I'd like to display tags for a particular product on the product page itself. I understand this is not out of the box, but I hoped I could leverage the the tag cloud to reveal the tags. Unfortunately, it seems I can only choose to display all tags for my store, rather than than the ones that apply to the specific product. Note: My goal is not to create a filter. Our brand ethos centers around sustainability and our customers have strong value alignments. I want customers to be able to see which products align to their values (eg. women-owned, carbon neutral, plastic-free). As a bonus, the tags allow you to click in and filter down on all products that match a tag. I was hoping to use tags as a more scalable and universal feature (rather than hard coding text onto each product page). In this way I can feed the tags back to our CRM and leverage the values for marketing and analytics. It's also easier to manage and make sure the tags remain standardized. I believe in building scalable foundations, and while hard coded buttons/tables could work, they aren't scalable, reportable, or easily managed. Has anyone had any success with this? Is there a plugin out there that may work? Anyone tried to display the tags via their own code? Thanks!

Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 6.43.13 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 6.42.36 PM.png

I think the effect you want is possible but I'm unaware of any code that actually does this. Escentially, I think, the pieces are there. They just need to be brought together with some custom code.

The code for this effect is not easy. I would categorize this as a moderately complex piece of code. The main trick is going to be how to marry up the in product detail tags with their human readable counter parts. In a page a tag is represented as tag-my-tag. In the user interface it is represented as My Tag. There are some complexities to this process. I've had some experience with this for categories.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 1 month later...
On 11/2/2023 at 4:37 AM, creedon said:

Please see Store Page Tags Text Add.

Let me know how it goes.

@creedon This is such a great resource, thanks for sharing! Just what I was looking for. Only issue is it doesn't seem to load reliably/most of the time. I've seen others have JS loading issues with SS. Any chance you could help me figure out the loading?

https://asparagus-violet-6yxl.squarespace.com/

PW: ADMIN

1 hour ago, E-W said:

Only issue is it doesn't seem to load reliably/most of the time.

I believe you have found a bug in my code!

I'm a bit swamped right now so I probably won't be able to look into this until next week and of course we have the Christmas holiday in the USA coming up also.

Please stay tuned to this thread as I usually try to provide update notices.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

I have updated my code cited in my November 2 2023 post.

From the changes...

• fix for tags not being retrieved from api

Let us know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2023 at 5:39 PM, creedon said:

From the changes...

Let us know how it goes.

Amazing! Thank you so much! I also am on a trial account right now so I pasted the code directly in (missed that before 😝). A few of the products aren't displaying the tags but overall they do seem to be loading better now. I'll get back to you with an update when I get the site launched and on a paid plan & update the code to match. Will def. be sending you a thank you for your help!

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/22/2023 at 5:39 PM, creedon said:

From the changes...

Let us know how it goes.

@creedon We're on a paid plan now and the tags are still unfortunately not consistently appearing. They also are not linking to any specific category but this is in the linked URL:

/shop?tag=undefined

Can you help? 🙏🏻

9 hours ago, E-W said:

the tags are still unfortunately not consistently appearing. They also are not linking to any specific category but this is in the linked URL

You have found more bugs in my code. Thank you. I will attempt to fix them soon. I'm a bit swamped at the moment. Please give me several business days to try to fix the issues. If I don't get back to you, please ping this thread to remind me.

Thanks @creedon! Unfortunately, the tags still don't link to the corresponding product category. I'm wondering if I did something wrong on my end? Screenshots are attached for one product so you can see how I've got it set up. When clicking on a tag it does take you to the shop page but the end of the url added is: /shop?tag=undefined

Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 10.28.14 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 10.28.39 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 10.28.48 AM.png

7 hours ago, E-W said:

Unfortunately, the tags still don't link to the corresponding product category. I'm wondering if I did something wrong on my end?

You are still running version 0.1.1. The lastest version is 0.1.2. Please update my code.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2024 at 3:09 AM, myfavouritecolourisrainbow said:

I can't see them in the demo either.

This is was I see on my demo.

ScreenShot2024-03-12at6_35_50PM.png.628cb794a501492c751d2c9b563742f6.png

I'm not seeing the tags on my site

Just wondering if I'm missing something?

Please post the URL for a page on your site where we can see your issue. For us to see the URL you need to include the link in the content of your post. The URL field the forum software provides is not shown to us.

A link to the backend of the your site won’t work for us, i.e. a URL that contains /config/.

Please set up a site-wide password, if your site is not public and you've not already done so.

Post the password here.

Adding a site-wide password does not allow anyone to alter your site. It only allows those with the password to see your site.

Please read the site-wide password and how to share a link documentation to understand how they work.

You may find How to post a forum question post useful.

We can then take a look at your issue.

• 1 month later...
On 12/21/2023 at 3:37 PM, E-W said:

@creedon This is such a great resource, thanks for sharing! Just what I was looking for. Only issue is it doesn't seem to load reliably/most of the time. I've seen others have JS loading issues with SS. Any chance you could help me figure out the loading?

https://asparagus-violet-6yxl.squarespace.com/

PW: ADMIN

This is an insanely late response to this thread but how did you get your variant options to look like the cute buttons instead of the dropdown? Was it using the code linked earlier in the thread?

Screen Shot 2024-04-21 at 12.16.16 AM.png

6 hours ago, KEISH said:

how did you get your variant options to look like the cute buttons instead of the dropdown?

If your product details page (PDP) uses the "Simple" layout, you can choose to display product variants as buttons instead of a drop-down menu. To learn more, visit Styling store pages.

You can style the buttons further using Custom CSS.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

Would you like your customers to be able to mark their favourite products in your Squarespace store?