POLL: Suggestion for New Contributor Permissions Level: "Developers"

New Contributor Type: "Developers"  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Would it be helpful to include another permission contributor category for "Developers"? To allow for access to the CSS and Advanced Code and other relavant settings.

• This would be helpful!
    • Not necessary

Hi everyone, 

I am taking a poll to see how people feel about suggestion for Squarespace to add another Contributor level:

Developer

I am finding that there isn't specific access for a Contributor to only provide access to allow for page editing, CSS editing, Advanced Code, style editing, etc, etc.

I am wary of giving access to outsourced developers to have Admin access.

Thoughts?

• 7 months later...

I know this is an old topic now but it popped up in my Google search results - I totally agree! I'm on the other end of it currently where I have a white label client I'm doing CSS customisation for hesitant to add me as an Administrator, however the Website Editor permission doesn't allow much at all.

If this helped you, please like or mark my solution as answer so others can scroll to it quickly 👆

Cass Aggett is a Squarespace website designer for go-getting women – no matter what stage of business.

WEBSITEINSTAGRAM

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We need this!!! Admins have too much access. I need to have people that can add webpages and perform other site design actions, without being able to remove people, etc. I understand this is mostly geared to small organizations where one person wears many hats, but I need to farm things out occasionally, such as for translations, but don't want them to be able to mess around with Admin thing.

• 3 weeks later...

+1 for this, 

BeyondSpace - Squarespace Website Developer

🖼️ Lightbox Studio (Enable Pinch/Zoom on lightbox)
🗓️ Delivery Date Picker (Squarespace Date picker form field)
💫 Gallery block 7.1 workaround
🥳 Sparkplugin Customisations Browsers (Browse +100 Spark plugin customisations)
🥳 Elfsight Template Browsers (Browse +1000 Elfsight widget Templates)

If you find my answer useful, let's leave a like or upvote so others with the same issue can find their solution. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

"Developers" permission level with these capabilities, organizations can provide developers with the necessary access and tools to effectively contribute to the project while maintaining proper security and control over sensitive resources. It can also streamline collaboration between developers and other team members by aligning permissions with specific roles and responsibilities.

As a developer I have found for most of my clients I need full access to everything as most of my clients are not Squarespace experts and need help with many of the features across their sites.

I need to be able to see what they are seeing because I can't be sure they are explaining accurately what is going on when they have issues because they don't have the experience.

As far as security, in my observation, SS is not showing sensitive information directly in the editor, like full credits card numbers.

So my question would be what specifically would be excluded in this Developer Privileges level?

I think that the real issue here is that the privileges model SS uses just isn't adequate to the task. I'm thinking that SS needs something more like a UN*X permissions model. Obviously the concept would need to be adapted because we aren't dealing with file systems but access to records in databases.

SS could set up some default groups and users that allow much the same behaviour we get now. But advanced users could set up their own to meet their needs.

I doubt this will ever happen. Such a system would be much more flexible and once set up, SS could step back and let their users decide what access is needed for contributors.

Edited by creedon

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

5 hours ago, creedon said:

As a developer I have found for most of my clients I need full access to everything as most of my clients are not Squarespace experts and need help with many of the features across their sites. So my question would be what specifically would be excluded in this Developer Privileges level?

I think that the real issue here is that the privileges model SS uses just isn't adequate to the task.

I agree about the privileges model. I've been advocating for improved permissions for years (and requested this as a feature). It was probably fine for most sites where there's a single user, but as Squarespace are now targeting professionals and agencies, I would like to see some improvements.

Regarding a specific contributor role of "Developer" (as opposed to Designer), I see this as providing the same as access as Administrator but without access to areas that contain financial or personal information that do no need to be disclosed to a developer who is coding the site. For example, preventing access to Orders, Analytics and Contacts/Profiles

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.