Text blocks are changing size repeatedly

The text blocks on my site keep making themselves larger. In the attached photo, the khaki color is one section, the black is a different section. I sized the text box down, made the section smaller, and saved it five minutes ago. It's now showing that giant empty space again. It's an even bigger gap in the second screenshot. It's doing this on multiple pages. I keep fixing this issue over and over – I feel like I must be missing something simple.

I'm using the provided blocks and not changing anything with the code in any way. Can anyone tell me what I'm missing?

Screenshot 2023-02-28 at 8.49.15 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-02-28 at 8.52.50 PM.png

• 3 months later...

I have exactly the same issue. I feel that everytime I change anything in desktop, mobile has extra vertical space and everytime I change anything in mobile, desktop has extra vertical space. 

I think even when I adjust different sections on desktop and resize my browser to look at the mobile and tablet breakpoints, extra space is added.

This is unbelievably frustrating 😞

• 1 month later...

My experience over the last several months of updating and editing my site has been that small changes in one area will for some unknown reason lead to multiple blocks in other areas getting longer - essentially doubling in length, requiring the tedious 'reforming' of sections of blocks. 

For example I can take a section of invisible (to the end user) code out of an embed, and then later discover adjacent text blocks have resized themselves, pushing or overlapping other blocks, and ruined the format/readability of the section. This can happen on any page, seemingly at any time. Can't figure out why exactly, because doesn't happen every time, but enough for me to have to google it and come here about it. Like Tankgurl said, very frustrating.

Hi. I'm Michael. I run iPhoneIntact - Raleigh’s most experienced mobile iPhone/iPad repair service. That's enough for now.

• 4 weeks later...

I am having the same issue - my best guess has been it is somehow related to the page width when I am editing.  Have tried adjusting page width max and site margins, but that doesn't seem to impact it.  I have my content broken into very small sections now, which is helping constrain the ripple effect of the text boxes changing sizes constantly, but still a perplexing problem.  

Would love to hear if anyone has figured this one out!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 8/30/2023 at 12:57 PM, RMSB said:

I am having the same issue - my best guess has been it is somehow related to the page width when I am editing.  Have tried adjusting page width max and site margins, but that doesn't seem to impact it.  I have my content broken into very small sections now, which is helping constrain the ripple effect of the text boxes changing sizes constantly, but still a perplexing problem.  

Would love to hear if anyone has figured this one out!

I tried that earlier today and thankfully I have a wide screen monitor.  When I stretch out chrome to make edits and add blocks, it doesnt seem to move the other blocks but sure enough when I try and size it like a regular user would, every thing moves and I have to resize the whole page.  When I work on my macbook air I find that if I zoom out, that also works too.  I don't know why this is the case buts it's frustrating me to the max.  

• 2 weeks later...

I am experiencing this problem as well. This is a major disaster. I'll properly format for mobile, and the same blocks are way too big on desktop. When I get them right on a 1920x1080 screen, I resize to a medium size window and everything is severely broken again: way oversized.

This has been very embarrassing for me. I would be able to deliver a site much more efficiently abandoning squarespace for hand-coding at this point. SquareSpace, do you have any response to the issues raised in this thread? I need to know if I need to abandon the platform, because this is a total deal-breaker.

Hey all I got this figured out  today after working with squarespace support. 

If you are getting those errors then you need to breakup your big section into smaller sections. 

If you have smaller sections then those formatting / overlay / giant empty spaces don't pop up and everything works as it should. Squarespace needs little bites and not big big bites. 

Hope that helps someone out there. 

22 minutes ago, rooseM3 said:

Hey all I got this figured out  today after working with squarespace support. 

If you are getting those errors then you need to breakup your big section into smaller sections. 

If you have smaller sections then those formatting / overlay / giant empty spaces don't pop up and everything works as it should. Squarespace needs little bites and not big big bites. 

Hope that helps someone out there. 

I'm glad it worked for you.  I have them in smaller sections and it still just make the sections grow.  But thank you.  Maybe it will work for someone else.