Manage Custom Files Upload not working

Hi there. I have some video embedded on my site. This is not about custom code, just the Manage Custom Files upload.

My main question is, I was using the Manage Custom Files button under Custom CSS to upload the video files that I reference in my code. (screenshot attached). Using this generated a url for me to reference for my code like this:

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5130f11ae4b07fdedd2e5b03/t/62244191a87bca150b6841f0/1646543251336/EXAMPLE.mp4

I am no longer able to upload a video under the Manage Custom Files button. Did something change? Should I be doing this under the new assets feature instead? I'm on 7.0

Screen Shot 2023-02-24 at 2.16.08 PM.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry for reviving an old post, but I haven't been able to find a solution to the problem I'm experiencing with Managed Custom Files. Hope someone can help. When clicking on the drop-down arrow to expand Custom Files, it only lets me upload images and videos. I don't have any control over what I can do with the files, i.e., I don't see a Managed Custom Files option anywhere. I can't even scroll up or down Custom Files to select files or delete files. It only lets me upload files and that's it. Is this due to some recent Squarespace update? Or a less likely scenario but I'll ask anyway - is this because I'm on a Personal Plan subscription?

image.png.fb2ec9bd7eef7312c45865e8a8d96458.png

18 minutes ago, Squaredspace said:

I haven't been able to find a solution to the problem I'm experiencing with Managed Custom Files.

Managed Custom Files is for v7.0 and Custom Files is for v7.1. The two versions have different UIs.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

Thanks @creedon. If the UI has changed for v.7.1, would you be able to help steer me in the direction where or how I can manage and upload images/videos and create URLs to them, in the same way it is possible in Managed Custom Files?

I know there is the Link function under Pages and also the Content Link block, but I don't think they serve the same purpose as Custom Files/Managed Custom Files?

image.thumb.png.6c11c32ca73314b5c879e1ce66b0caf5.png

image.png.8745b51ba5563363af684516ac04271a.png

Also, for the images that I uploaded to Custom Files but can't remove them, does that mean I can't do anything about them? I've only uploaded about 5 images before realizing I have no control over what I can do with them. It's not a big deal, but it bugs me that Custom Files is just there with no apparent functionality 😬

4 hours ago, Squaredspace said:

Also, for the images that I uploaded to Custom Files but can't remove them

Hover over the file and click the big X.

Screenshot2024-04-24at1_35_50PM.thumb.png.59ea59b4268f02b654b1b5210979bbf4.png

would you be able to help steer me in the direction where or how I can manage and upload images/videos

Please see Managing and reusing images and videos.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

Thanks @creedon . But as you can see from the screenshot in my original post, there's no option to hover over any file and click a big X to delete files. Could this be due to some sort of glitch somewhere in the Squarespace settings/UI or even browser settings?

Edited by Squaredspace
On 4/26/2024 at 4:57 AM, Squaredspace said:

Thanks @creedon . But as you can see from the screenshot in my original post, there's no option to hover over any file and click a big X to delete files. Could this be due to some sort of glitch somewhere in the Squarespace settings/UI or even browser settings?

@Squaredspace The UI of the Custom Files from your screenshot looks a bit off, e.g. the plus icon is not within the dotted box. 

I would check that your browser is at 100% zoom; zoomed in/out could sometimes affect the placements of elements. And check if any custom code is unintentionally affecting Squarespace's editor.

-------- > 👆 <---------- Please quote or @ me when replying, or I won't get a notification 

Melody | Squarespace Website Developer
e: melody@melodylee.tech

💻 💁‍♀️ 1-2-1 Squarespace Training session <- feeling stuck and want to learn?
👩‍💻 💁‍♀️ Customisation help <- send me your to-do list
 Did I help? I like coffee (Thank you)
🧰 See the tools I use (may contain affiliate links)

Posted (edited)

Thanks @melody495. I initially thought it was a browser issue as well, so I checked and it's at 100% zoom. I even thought maybe it could be a browser extension (e.g., pop-up blocker) that's causing something to look off. But nothing changed after removing the extensions and closing and restarting the browser. I'll go through the custom codes to see if there's anything affecting Squarespace's editor, but not really sure what to look for 😬

Edited by Squaredspace
1 hour ago, Squaredspace said:

Thanks @melody495. I initially thought it was a browser issue as well, so I checked and it's at 100% zoom. I even thought maybe it could be a browser extension (e.g., pop-up blocker) that's causing something to look off. But nothing changed after removing the extensions and closing and restarting the browser. I'll go through the custom codes to see if there's anything affecting Squarespace's editor, but not really sure what to look for 😬

Sorry to hear that. Worth contacting Squarespace Support to see if it is an issue with the platform. 

-------- > 👆 <---------- Please quote or @ me when replying, or I won't get a notification 

2 hours ago, Squaredspace said:

I initially thought it was a browser issue as well

I'll go through the custom codes to see if there's anything affecting Squarespace's editor, but not really sure what to look for 😬

Your first step is safe mode, then go through the code. If safe mode makes the issue go away then you know it's your custom code.

Please see the following.

Let us know how it goes.

@creedon, thanks for this idea. Unfortunately the issue didn't go away while in safe mode. BUT, I did manage to resolve the issue. Sort of.

Microsoft Edge browser is the default browser for our company laptops, so it never occured to me to think about trying another browser until @melody495  mentioned it could be a browser related issue. Even then, I didn't actually try the website using another browser until yesterday 🤦‍♂️. I'm happy to report that there are no issues with the Custom Files section for my site in the Chrome browser. I installed the same extensions to test things out, and everything works as it should be!

This begs the question of why the Custom Files doesn't work as it should in the Edge browser. Would be interesting to hear if anyone else has experienced this or other UI issues in Edge versus Chrome. Thanks @creedon and @melody495 for helping out!

1 hour ago, Squaredspace said:

This begs the question of why the Custom Files doesn't work as it should in the Edge browser. Would be interesting to hear if anyone else has experienced this or other UI issues in Edge versus Chrome.

I just tried out Edge and it is screwed up. The plus button is not aligned properly so when you click on a file, you get the add file dialog.

What is interesting is Edge uses the rendering engine from Chrome. So I can only guess that Microsoft screwed something up.

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, creedon said:

I just tried out Edge and it is screwed up. The plus button is not aligned properly so when you click on a file, you get the add file dialog.

What is interesting is Edge uses the rendering engine from Chrome. So I can only guess that Microsoft screwed something up.

That is right. Would have thought zooming in and out might resolve the alignment issue but it doesn't. You can imagine my frustration as I couldn't figure out what was wrong.

I'm now wondering if it could be something like a cookie settings issue in Edge. Will play around with some browser settings to see if that fixes things. Otherwise, will develop the website in Chrome from now on....

Edited by Squaredspace
2 minutes ago, Squaredspace said:

I'm now wondering if it could be something like a cookie settings issue in Edge.

I don't think cookies are the issue. Every browser is a bit different, even when using the same rendering engine. I get the feeling Edge is just doing something wrong.

I have found Chrome to be the best browser from a development experience standpoint. But you do have to check your work in other browsers so that your site visitors get a decent experience.

40 minutes ago, Squaredspace said:

Here I was, developing the site on the web browser that only has 5% marketshare🤦‍♂️

This is an important point for folks to keep in mind.

Depending on the site one may end up with issues in some browsers where things don't look good or work well.

So things may look great on Chrome but not so good in Safari, Edge, and etc. Sometimes getting an effect to look good across the different browsers can be painful or not practical. One may need to prioritize their efforts into the browsers that have the larger market.

If the site is new then there won't be analytics but after they start coming in one will want to see which browsers are visiting the site and adjust the development efforts accordingly. If one had trouble with Edge for example and didn't spend much time trying to fix and the analytics say a very low single digit percentage are using it one may just leave it be. If however one were seeing double digit percentages in the 20s or more then one might rethink and spend the effort to address the issues.

@Squaredspace Oh Edge, interesting. Glad you found the issue!

Squarespace does support Edge (if you wish, you can submit a ticket to Squarespace Support), but more people use Chrome compared to Edge, so it tends to have fewer issues.

9 hours ago, melody495 said:

@Squaredspace Oh Edge, interesting. Glad you found the issue!

Squarespace does support Edge (if you wish, you can submit a ticket to Squarespace Support), but more people use Chrome compared to Edge, so it tends to have fewer issues.

Thanks. I was happily (and not giving a thought regarding choice of browsers) developing and testing the site in Edge for months with no problems up until the Managed Files issue. I will submit a ticket to support and see what they say. 

21 hours ago, creedon said:

This is an important point for folks to keep in mind.

Depending on the site one may end up with issues in some browsers where things don't look good or work well.

So things may look great on Chrome but not so good in Safari, Edge, and etc. Sometimes getting an effect to look good across the different browsers can be painful or not practical. One may need to prioritize their efforts into the browsers that have the larger market.

If the site is new then there won't be analytics but after they start coming in one will want to see which browsers are visiting the site and adjust the development efforts accordingly. If one had trouble with Edge for example and didn't spend much time trying to fix and the analytics say a very low single digit percentage are using it one may just leave it be. If however one were seeing double digit percentages in the 20s or more then one might rethink and spend the effort to address the issues.

Thanks for the advice. It's something I overlooked and didn't give it a thought at all until the Managed Files issue came up. I have both Edge and Chrome on my computer at home but even when working on the site at home, I still used Edge simply because I was so used to working in that environment. Thankfully it looks like the site works well from a user perspective in both Edge and Chrome (so far). Will definitely keep an eye on the analytics over time after the site goes live👌