Forms no longer send to gmail addresses

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

We've got a web form that has, for years, worked just fine. An applicant fills out the form and upon hitting Submit, it gets sent to a GMail address and to a spreadsheet on the GMail address's Google Drive.

This week, it stopped sending to the GMail address, but the spreadsheet was getting updated.

The GMail address is able to receive email (sent from my non-GMail email address), so there's nothing wrong with the address. and there's nothing in the SPAM folder.

When I changed the destination GMail address on the form to MY personal GMail address, I received the form AND the spreadsheet on the original GMail address's Google Drive was updated.

I changed the destination email address back to the original GMail address, resubmitted the form, and did not receive it, but the spreadsheet DID update.

We have another form on the site that also gets sent to the original GMail address, and that one also does not submit the completed form to the GMail address (and oddly has never created or updated a spreadsheet on Google drive). I think if the first problem gets solved, the second form will solve itself.

Any ideas? 

/Tom

• Solution
On 12/19/2022 at 12:00 AM, fastfriends said:

An applicant fills out the form and upon hitting Submit, it gets sent to a GMail address and to a spreadsheet on the GMail address's Google Drive. This week, it stopped sending to the GMail address, but the spreadsheet was getting updated.

To explain, this usually happens when Squarespace have attempted to send a form submission to the email address in the past, before it was fully set up and accepting mail, and it failed to send. In such circumstances, Squarespace log the failure to send the email (it 'bounced') and they mark the email address as 'bad'. This prevents them from sending further (costly) emails to email addresses that don't accept them.

Check in with Squarespace Customer Care to see if the gmail address has been added to their form 'bounce list' as this would prevent it from receiving the form emails. If it is on the list, they can remove it.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

About me: I'm Paul. A SQSP User for 18 yrs, I joined Circle when it launched in 2016 and have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL, providing expertise and extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee fuels my work.

Book paid help with a Squarespace Domain

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

So I have a contact form on my site. If I make the email the responses are supposed to go to a @gmail.com email, it works.

However, whenever I try to make the email a name@domain.com email, the responses don't go to that email. The email itself works perfectly otherwise and can send and receive emails when sent normally.

Has anyone else had this problem? What would you advise I do to resolve this?

1 hour ago, belynch said:

whenever I try to make the email a name@domain.com email, the responses don't go to that email.

@belynch See the answer above.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I'm Paul. A SQSP User for 18 yrs, I joined Circle when it launched in 2016 and have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL, providing expertise and extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee fuels my work.

Book paid help with a Squarespace Domain

• 7 months later...

I have stopped receiving emails to our email address.  I have checked that all is correct and re entered the email and saved but still nothing is coming through.

I can see that we have been receiving them as they now show since 27th July

Thank you in advance as I am not the best when it comes to technology and I just like it to work