Using Summary Blocks to show more than 20 blog posts per page.

Use Summary blocks to display your blog posts. You can have up to 30 post per block and you can chain blocks together for as many posts as you want on one page. You use hidden categories to filter the posts. First 30 cat 1-30 second 30 give each post the cat of 31-60 or whatever name you want group 1, group 2 etc. This takes a bit of work but it works out great, as you can see here: 

https://myrandomviews.com/blogsummary 

I have over 80 posts on one page categorized by subject. I used a second blog page to itemize the first, first blog for the posts, the second full of summary blocks. The summary blog is my front facing blog page, the actual blog is in the unlinked section of my site. You don't have to make yours as dramatic as mine, a new blank page with summary blocks on it will work quite well. 

Edited by derricksrandomviews

And if you need to remove space between Summary Block, just comment url, we can give some code

Or add this code to Page Header

<style>
  .summary-v2-block {
  	padding-top: 0px !important;
    padding-bottom: 0px !important;
  }
</style>

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2022 at 9:23 AM, tuanphan said:

And if you need to remove space between Summary Block, just comment url, we can give some code

Or add this code to Page Header

<style>
  .summary-v2-block {
  	padding-top: 0px !important;
    padding-bottom: 0px !important;
  }
</style>

I used your code for one of my blog subjects, changed 0px to 7px, tighted up the summary blocks considerably.

Thanks. 

I just looked at your blog Derrick, well done. I subscribed.

I have a question about using Summary Blocks to organize/display my blog posts.  Where do you do this?  do you do it on the Blog Page or do you create a different display page for the Summary Block?  If you put it on the Blog Page then where and how?  Sorry, if this is a dumb question but I have trouble understanding the structure of blogging on squarespace.  Thanks!

It is not a dumb question at all. I started out just using a page with all my posts in blocks just to get more than 30 posts on one super scrolling page, but then I wanted to use a menu so I moved the summary blocks to a second blog.   I have them grouped by subject, each subject has its own post in the second blog. Those posts are the summary blocks pulling content from my main blog page. The blog page with the actual posts is in the unlinked section of my site, the second blog, I call it my blog summary  is the front facing "blog" and it is on my nav bar. I have an archive block that pulls content from the blog summary so the subjects show up on the pull down menu. You can see the difference here, this is the blog with all the posts: https://myrandomviews.com/blog which show up as a list 20 posts per page. This blog as I said is not on my nav bar. This blog summay blog page is:     https://myrandomviews.com/blogsummary  Remember these are two seperate blogs.

Now here is where it gets a bit complicated. I give all my original blog posts which are in the unlinked blog a category which the summary blocks in a post in the blog summary use to filter those posts in the main blog. I also give the summary blog posts a category which my archive block uses to make my pull down menu. Does this make sense? 

As I work though your steps.  I have to ask are you using 7.0 or 7.1?  Also, I am a little confused about making applying summary blocks to a Blog Page.  As for understanding, you made a "unpublished" blog which is where you write your actual posts and then you started a 2nd blog page which is "enabled" which shows both summary blocks and a menu?  I think I am hashing something up in my mental translation.

Thanks for the help

As I work through the process of building a blog I have some other questions:

1) how to you make such a nice graphic representation of your image posts on your Blog Summary (front facing page)?  Graphic attached.

2) I am still murky about how to use the Gallery Page with all of this.

3) For Sorting using categories: If I use the 1-30 (and so on) as a way to organize my posts per Summary Block how do I also use categories to track the subject to group my posts?  Should I be using Tags for this?  

Thanks for the help. It is slowly coming into focus.

Drew

Derrick Blog Graphic.png

2 hours ago, Drew Robbins said:

As I work through the process of building a blog I have some other questions:

1) how to you make such a nice graphic representation of your image posts on your Blog Summary (front facing page)?  Graphic attached.

2) I am still murky about how to use the Gallery Page with all of this.

3) For Sorting using categories: If I use the 1-30 (and so on) as a way to organize my posts per Summary Block how do I also use categories to track the subject to group my posts?  Should I be using Tags for this?  

Thanks for the help. It is slowly coming into focus.

Drew

Derrick Blog Graphic.png

#1. If you share link to page where you use summary, we can give code to achieve image style

Or send to forum message

On 11/10/2022 at 8:08 PM, tuanphan said:

#1. If you share link to page where you use summary, we can give code to achieve image style

Exactly. I have a lot of code for my blocks, which may work for yours as well. Some of it was written by Tuanphan. 

You can sort by tags in your blog but it will sort the posts not the summary blocks. So when someone uses the menu it will show the original posts. That works okay. But I wanted to sort my summary items by subject so that is the reason I put all my summary blocks into the 2nd blog page. That way I could group my posts in one super group so to speak. For example if you click on Soul Stores in my dropdown menu there are 80 posts in that subject because I have three summary blocks in that post located in my second blog.

Gallery pages can also be used in  summary blocks but I don't use them with my template which has index pages for viewing gallery pages. Summary blocks using gallery content allow you to create a look similar to this: https://myrandomviews.com/views-images

Edited by derricksrandomviews

Hi Tuaphan,  my page is www.fyw30a.com.  I have a blog page there entitled "Under Const" which is where I am  trying to allow my users to interface with.  It is actually a Summary page which is reflecting the content from our blog page which is not enabled.  I am just looking for a classy rectangle around each summary image.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

On 11/17/2022 at 6:11 AM, Drew Robbins said:

Hi Tuaphan,  my page is www.fyw30a.com.  I have a blog page there entitled "Under Const" which is where I am  trying to allow my users to interface with.  It is actually a Summary page which is reflecting the content from our blog page which is not enabled.  I am just looking for a classy rectangle around each summary image.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

You mean this page? https://www.fyw30a.com/blog-3P

Or send to forum message