Setting up a subdomain that points to mail server's IP address - HELP!

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Site URL: http://www.sightcareopticians.co.uk

Hi

I've built a new site for my client using Squarespace. The old site and domain were hosted by a different company. The emails are hosted by yet another company.

I have successfully transferred the domain to Squarespace.

The email host has given me the MX record as 46.37.190.58 and the SPF as V=spf1 a mx ip4:46.37.190.58 ~all

I entered this information into the custom DNS records on Squarespace.

The previous webhost gave me the MX record they were using as mail.sightcareopticians.co.uk with 1 priority and then gave me the instructions:

Since MX record is pointing to a subdomain, of the same domain, so you should set up a subdomain with it’s A record pointing to:

My client's emails have stopped working since the domain transfer and it's probably because I put their mail server IP address ( 46.37.190.58) into the MX record field when I should have put mail.sightcareopticians.co.uk and then set up a subdomain pointing to 46.37.190.58. My client sent me a screenshot of their iPhone email settings and the host is mail.sightcareopticians.co.uk, not the IP address 46.37.190.58

I do not want to ask the client to change their host email settings from mail.sightcareopticians.co.uk to 46.37.190.58 — I want to be able to set this up from my end so they don't need to do anything at their end.

I have now set up the DNS setting based on what I think they should be to include the sub-domain pointing to the mail server IP address:

image.thumb.png.ec6e000a5e376892344ffffac81ec6bc.png

Is this the correct way to set up a sub-domain to point to mail server's IP address?

I have sent them a test message but I heard it can take 72 hours for these settings to propogate. 

Any help or guidance with this problem would be great thanks.

Col

Edited by ColinB
  • Solution
1 hour ago, ColinB said:

I have now set up the DNS setting based on what I think they should be to include the sub-domain pointing to the mail server IP address. Is this the correct way to set up a sub-domain to point to mail server's IP address?

You're almost there 🙂

Remove the subdomain forwarding and simply add a new A record where the host is 'mail' and the Data is '46.37.190.58'.

Was this post helpful? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Many thanks @paul2009 - I really appreciate you taking the time to help. I've made the changes as you instructed and have sent test emails which haven't been received as of yet. In your experience will the changes I made be instant or do I need to wait for them to propagate?

Edited by ColinB

The changes are determined by the TTL values but they have already propagated:

image.thumb.png.256197f7c56173768b7061ade848e375.png

However, mail delivery timescales will depend on a number of factors, determined by the mail server settings.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Thanks again @paul2009 - what website are you using to get that info?

BTW, they're now receiving and sending emails OK. Phew. Thanks again for your help.

Also, is it a security risk to leave all my client's mailbox/DNS/MX info online on this forum?

I'd like to buy you a coffee as a small way of saying thanks. Do you have a means for me to be able to do that?

Edited by ColinB
1 hour ago, ColinB said:

they're now receiving and sending emails OK.
is it a security risk to leave all my client's mailbox/DNS/MX info online on this forum?

No, DNS records are public so this information can be queried by anyone for any domain.

I'm pleased it helped. No additional thanks are necessary 😀

1 minute ago, ColinB said:

What website were you using to get the domain information to help me?

https://viewdns.info/propagation/