Members not receiving password reset emails?

Hi!

A former web design client of mine has asked me to resolve an issue with members not being able to reset their member areas passwords. Multiple members have complained that they are not receiving the password reset link emails. Aside from asking them to check spam folders for missed emails, is there any backend way I can help ensure that they receive the reset links, or any ideas as to what might be the issue? If anyone has navigated this issue before, I’d love to hear your advice. Thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, ZoeyJane said:

I am having issues with members having forgotten their password and are unable to reset or find a "forgot my password" link on their sign in page.

Where are they signing in? Please provide a link.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

On 4/14/2022 at 12:40 PM, augustabelle said:

Multiple members have complained that they are not receiving the password reset link emails. Aside from asking them to check spam folders for missed emails, is there any backend way I can help ensure that they receive the reset links, or any ideas as to what might be the issue? If anyone has navigated this issue before, I’d love to hear your advice.

I always recommend setting up a member account that you (or your client) can use for test purposes. You can then log on to this account using a private/incognito browser window whenever you want to view the website from a member's perspective. 

Once you have a test member account configured, you can try the "forgot my password" link to see if you receive the reset email. Although any platform can experience intermittent failures, if you receive the email correctly then there's a good chance that other members would receive it correctly too, suggesting that any issues relates to them and their email account. For example, the email may have been marked as spam by their mail provider.

On the other hand, if you don't receive the reset email either then that's more concerning! You can carry out some basic troubleshooting (checking your own spam folder and your own email settings) before potentially contacting Squarespace Customer Care. Although you don't have access to their backend systems to check if the emails were sent correctly, they do.

I hope this helps.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 11 months later...

Was there an answer to this?  What can we do on the backend for our client?  I am having the same issues.  My clients are trying to sign into their account on PeachyFit.ca

Edited by ANia77
  • 9 months later...

I just did this manual workaround for one of my members that worked....

They had messed up their password when trying to sign up for a membership site. They clicked the forgot password link but never got the email.  Checked their spam folder - no joy.  

When I went into my list of contacts, their name showed up under All Contacts, but not under Members.  I clicked their name in that contact listing there, and then used 'delete profile' .

I then instructed them to open a private window / incognito window on their browser and manually enter the sign-up URL in that address window, rather than clicking on the link I had provided them (to assure it would be opening using the private window) - I recommended this as a shortcut/easy way to have their browser ignore their cache, rather than instruct them how to clear it.

Anyway - they went to the sign up page and then had no trouble starting the process from the beginning, with ease and success.

Good luck - hope this helps