Member Area login doesn't go to member area home page

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Site URL: https://www.haas-house.com/

I have my membership area setup. I've added the login option to my sites Navigation. I put my site in test mode then try to login with the customer email/PW I setup. I'm successfully logged in, but I'm not redirected anywhere... if that makes sense. Like I'll see the customer account info to the right, and the membership navigation replaces the original sites navigation, but it's weird that I'm still on the regular homepage until I choose a membership area page from the navigation.

I have my membership area homepage set to a normal page (I think I read it can't be a portfolio or external link), so I don't know why it's not re-directing there. Any ideas?

To be clear, customers can still access the membership content once they login, it's just a weird way for them to have to do it.

In the image uploaded that's my regular homepage behind the account info. Which is NOT in the membership area Navigation or pages structure.

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 2.33.40 PM.png

• Solution

If users are using the built-in login option in the header, this take them to their member account, not the member content. 

To send them directly to a specific member site, consider providing a clear link to the Member Site's homepage. For example, in the screenshot below, the Yoga Home page:

image.png.e3e9741cb45c8f1b62c598b61d81d565.png

You'll find the page's URL by checking the settings for that page. Anyone without a member account (or who is not logged in) will see this page:

image.thumb.png.df636f983e9e29e701b32b4c5ab9001c.png

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

About me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for over 18 yrs and a Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL, providing high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji below. Buying a coffee is optional.

Book paid help with domains: Connect a GoDaddy domain. Connect a Squarespace Domain. Domain assistance

• 1 month later...
On 5/6/2022 at 10:01 AM, MarcoBruschi said:

I create a member area but when I logged in I didn't see the member area's homepage but the traditional homepage of my website.

A link to the member site content - for example /my-member-site - will take a logged in member directly to the gated content. 

The built-in 'Login' link in the header will take a member to their account page, not the gated content.

Does this help?

Edited by paul2009
Edited for clarity

About me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for over 18 yrs and a Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL, providing high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji below. Buying a coffee is optional.

Book paid help with domains: Connect a GoDaddy domain. Connect a Squarespace Domain. Domain assistance

• 4 weeks later...

Site URL: https://www.diallekt.com

After a member signs into their account from my website homepage, their customer account panel opens up on the right side of the screen. However, it doesn't redirect them anywhere - they stay on the homepage of my website.

Is there any way to make it so that when a member signs in, it redirects them to the homepage of the specific Members Area instead?

On 5/28/2022 at 7:29 PM, AaronC said:

After a member signs into their account from my website homepage, their customer account panel opens up on the right side of the screen. However, it doesn't redirect them anywhere - they stay on the homepage of my website.

This is correct. As mentioned above, if a member uses the default link in the header to login, they'll be sent to their account page. 

To send them to a specific member site, you must provide them with a link to the member site. This is the URL of the homepage of the relevant member site. If you need help finding this, please let me know.

Edited by paul2009

• 1 year later...
On 5/28/2022 at 2:39 PM, paul2009 said:

As mentioned above, the account sign in link is designed to take them to their account panel. To allow them to go straight to a specific Member Area (MA) page you can provide a link to that page in the navigation. If the user is not logged in, visiting this page will prompt them to do so.

Wouldn't that just take them to the access denied screen? 

21 minutes ago, jaciewoznicki said:

Wouldn't that just take them to the access denied screen? 

If they're logged in, it will take them to the member content.

They'll only see the access denied screen (containing a login prompt) if they aren't logged in.

• 1 month later...
On 8/21/2023 at 3:57 PM, matthewperlman1 said:

I have a login page on my members area and after they login, it just takes them to the paywalled screen but not to the members area.

If you like me to take a look, please provide the URL of that login link. It should be the URL of the protected page.

please note that Squarespace doesn’t use this forum to track bug reports so, if you’re experiencing an issue with the platform, you are encouraged to inform Squarespace directly by raising a ticket through Squarespace Customer Care. 

Edited by paul2009

• 4 weeks later...

Hey 

I just had the same issue and I was trying to figure it out , and I found something works fine for it , 

after you build your membership area 

add block on you home page and choose Digital product 

And then from settings choose the member area name and it will show up a sign up block so any visitor will sign up from it it will take them to the member area homepage 

and then they can switch between pages from the same location of the main navigation ( but it won’t show the visitor main navigation) it will show the member area main navigation 

I hope that was helpful 

regards 

MRD 

• 5 weeks later...

Gosh this is really a bummer. The main issue is that I actually have multiple member areas depending on what they have subscribed to (what plan of our main service AND any other add-ons like training).

It is very confusing for users to be on the home page, see a button (I created) that says: "Log In", the log in and remain on that same page with the same Log In button (along with a sign up one).

Has anyone managed to resolve this issue? @paul2009  - I noticed you suggested (for example) making the URL to that button I created (not the default log in one) to take them to the member centre home page (which would them prompt them to log in). This would be an OKish "workaround" if I only had ONE member area.

Thoughts? - Anyhelp would be massively appreciated as this is resulting in a very poor user experience ATM 😞

---

The screenshot below is what a logged in member sees at the moment.

Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 1.27.36 pm.png

• 3 weeks later...

So this is a bit confusing. 

If a user goes to the home page of your membership site and you are not logged in or are not a member, the site displays the paywall page. Telling the visitor you need to login to access this part of the web site. I used the URL slug membersarea for my members site home page, but while it says <my domain name >/membersarea in the URl It's actually displaying the paywall page with the error messages.

In the website builder, you'll find the page "paywall" under "pricing plans" in the sidebar on the left. Under your member site.

This page is not editable apart from the headline and description fields. You can put a link in the description field to your membersite's homepage. Clicking the link if you're not a member will redirect you to the member sign-up page, where you can choose a pricing plan, sign up as a member, and then access your membersites home page. The links in the description aren't underlined on my site, so I would recommend formatting them so they stand out.

Each Membersite and digital product has it's own paywall so you can configure the page to reflect what you're signing up for.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Something is very wrong with this experience. As everyone is saying, when I create a members area, I also create a members area homepage. here is the pop-up window for that homepage. It clearly says, "Your member site's homepage is the landing experience for your members when they log into their accounts."  Simply put, in using the template, when we have a link or button that says "log in" and they actually log in, they should be redirected to a the Member Site Homepage. Are we saying in this forum that this is to be reported as a bug? image.thumb.png.36f7c19542b0e5e426d0ec8e6d2af051.png

• 2 months later...