Make text block sticky

1 hour ago, v-web said:

Have tried the updated code but still seem to be having the same issue.. don't know if there is something else that has been changed or maybe a mistake on my behalf?

You have two copies of the code. The old code is overriding the new code. Remove the old code.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

Good afternoon. I have an HTML element on the right side of my Brewing Guide pages which operates as a brewing timer. I would love for this timer to be sticky and stay at its position as you scroll beyond it, so that users may see the running timer as they read through the next steps of the guide. 

One of the example pages is https://laterrarossa.com/aeropress

The code for the timer is as follows:

<html lang = "en">
    <head>
       <title>Stopwatch</title>
    </head>
    <body>
        <div><strong>Seconds:</strong> <span id="time">0</span></div>
        </center><input type="button" id="startTimer" value="Start" onclick="start();">
        <input type="button" id="stopTimer" value="Pause"  onclick="stop();">
        <input type="button" id="resetTimer" value="Clear"  onclick="reset();">
    <script>
            var timeElapsed = 0;
            var timerID = -1;
            function tick() {
                timeElapsed++
                document.getElementById("time").innerHTML = timeElapsed;
            }

function start() {
                if(timerID == -1){
                    timerID = setInterval(tick, 1000);
                }
            }

function stop() {
                if(timerID != -1){
                    clearInterval(timerID)
                    timerID = -1
                }
            }

function reset() {
                stop();
                timeElapsed = -1;
                tick()
            }
        </script>
    </body>
</html>

Thank you all,

Michael

53 minutes ago, laterrarossa said:

I would love for this timer to be sticky and stay at its position as you scroll beyond it

This doesn't stick in position but sticks near the top of the page as you scroll. The effect also only works at desktop breakpoint and above.

Add the following to Page Settings > Advanced > Page Header Code Injection for the page. Please see per-page code injection.

<style>

@media screen and ( min-width : 768px ) {

.fe-block-62f96d53dec28cbe8cd1abd1 {

position : sticky;
      top : 200px;

}

}

</style>

Let us know how it goes.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

21 hours ago, creedon said:

This doesn't stick in position but sticks near the top of the page as you scroll. The effect also only works at desktop breakpoint and above.

Add the following to Page Settings > Advanced > Page Header Code Injection for the page. Please see per-page code injection.

<style>

@media screen and ( min-width : 768px ) {

.fe-block-62f96d53dec28cbe8cd1abd1 {

position : sticky;
      top : 200px;

}

}

</style>

Let us know how it goes.

@creedon Thank you so much! This is working great for the example page I had sent, but not yet for the other, though I added the same code to the code injection for each individual page. Forgive me for my lack of knowledge, but I am guessing that the fe-block part of the code is pointing to that elements position on that specific page? I may be far off. If so, I am guessing I can pull the position for each page by inspecting the element within the developer tools in my browser to adjust the code on per-page basis?

9 minutes ago, laterrarossa said:

@creedon Thank you so much! This is working great for the example page I had sent, but not yet for the other, though I added the same code to the code injection for each individual page. Forgive me for my lack of knowledge, but I am guessing that the fe-block part of the code is pointing to that elements position on that specific page? I may be far off. If so, I am guessing I can pull the position for each page by inspecting the element within the developer tools in my browser to adjust the code on per-page basis?

@creedon I was able to pull the other 3 indentifiers by inspecting the element for each page and that worked perfectly! Thank so much for you assistance!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello @tuanphan, I'm trying to make a sticky subnav text for a page I am working on but the CSS code does not seem to be working, even when I change the element ID:

https://dog-buttercup-ap58.squarespace.com/revelations-1331/

PW is: revelation123

I'm looking to make the text section ["install view" etc] sticky as images scroll past.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks! I'd also like to be able to replicate this on other pages.

Edited by sophieL13

Hey, this code might be of help, this is for fluid engine btw. see more info on my website https://lisalenkens.com/split-scroll-screen-sticky-column/

@media only screen and (min-width: 700px) {
// Add these lines for your section to be on flex display //
section[data-section-id="HERE_YOUR_SECTION_ID"] {
  display: flex;
  flex-direction: row;
}

// Add these lines for your column to be sticky and stick to the top + 80px, you can adjust this to your liking //
section[data-section-id="HERE_YOUR_SECTION_ID"] .fe-block-HERE_YOUR_BLOCK_ID {
  position: sticky !important;
  top: 80px !important;
} 

// Add these lines to be able to edit your section and blocks as usual //
section[data-section-id="HERE_YOUR_SECTION_ID"] .is-editing div .fe-block-HERE_YOUR_BLOCK_ID {
  position: absolute !important;
  top: 0px !important;
}

}

Replace the section ID's with your ID's and the fe-block as well. 
good luck!

Edited by LisaLenkens

Update: I upgraded the section to Fluid Engine and it works, thanks very much!

Hi Lisa, thanks for the code.

When I enter this code though it freezes the screen at a much higher point - I can't get past the header image in both desktop and mobile view. I am using a mix of Fluid Engine and some Classic Editor blocks on the page - might this be causing the issue? I am using the second section ID as the starting point and the block ID in the bottom left of this screenshot.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks,

Screenshot 2023-02-08 at 14.56.18.png

Edited by sophieL13

Hi again - is it possible to make sure the sidebar stays sticky as you scroll past multiple sections on a page? At the moment it is visible only as you scroll past one section - but when you get to the second section with different content it gets pushed off the screen. 

On 2/8/2023 at 11:09 PM, sophieL13 said:

Hi again - is it possible to make sure the sidebar stays sticky as you scroll past multiple sections on a page? At the moment it is visible only as you scroll past one section - but when you get to the second section with different content it gets pushed off the screen. 

To achieve this, you will need to use a script code (require a Business Plan or higher). If you use business plan/higher, let me know, we will check code

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/18/2023 at 12:31 AM, creedon said:

You have two copies of the code. The old code is overriding the new code. Remove the old code.

Hi Creedon, its definitely the only code in the header injection field. Or is there somewhere else I should be looking for the old copy of the code?

Screen Shot 2023-03-01 at 7.11.04 PM.png

5 hours ago, v-web said:

Or is there somewhere else I should be looking for the old copy of the code?

Yes. Please see Using code injection for other locations where it might be. I suspect Settings > Advanced > Code Injection > HEADER.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/17/2023 at 2:34 PM, charlineca said:

Hi, I have a sticky split (audio button) but it only applies to the section itself. Any way to make it sticky on the whole site?

https://rabbit-orchid-h7nk.squarespace.com/ pw is squarespace.

Add to Design > Custom CSS

[data-section-id="64129d6c862646001cc97077"] {
    z-index: 999 !important;
}

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

• 2 months later...

I would like my audio / video players to remain sticky to the top so they can float alongside the open lyrics for each song...

Any way to have a block remain sticky alongside an open accordion tab, that opens below the end of the section?

https://summercampforsongwriters.com/audio

Any thoughts @Nick_SquareKicker?

Edited by CliftonRhoad
Wanted advice from a certain user

Hi @CliftonRhoad,

Have you tried SquareKicker Sticky Blocks?

https://www.squarekicker.com/letsmakethis/no-code-sticky-blocks

SquareKickerHi, I'm Nick, CEO & Co-Founder at squarekicker.com.  Take your Squarespace sites to the next level with SquareKicker's No-Code Design & Animation Extension. Break free from templates & complex code and start building unique websites that you are proud to show your clients without ever having to write a single line of code. 

Squarespace Extension  ●  Templates  ●  News  ●  Inspiration  ●  Tutorials  ●  Resources