When transferring pages from 7.0 to 7.1 will be ready

• Replies 8
  • Views 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It isn't a matter of allowing you to do it. 7.0 and 7.1 are totally different design platforms so a copy or template change option is not in the works for that reason. The best solution to move is to start a 7.1 trial, build you site, activate it, move domain, and then cancel the 7.0 site and you will get a credit right then for any time left on your billing period. There is no quicker way. That being said, if the look of 7.1 is what you want then look at 7.0 Brine template family which has over 40 starting points. Brine which is one of the best templates anywhere was the inspiration for the look of  7.1.  You can use a transfer option from another 7.0 site, which works okay or  really well depending on the original template. 

On 1/10/2021 at 6:38 PM, derricksrandomviews said:

It isn't a matter of allowing you to do it. 7.0 and 7.1 are totally different design platforms so a copy or template change option is not in the works for that reason. The best solution to move is to start a 7.1 trial, build you site, activate it, move domain, and then cancel the 7.0 site and you will get a credit right then for any time left on your billing period. There is no quicker way. That being said, if the look of 7.1 is what you want then look at 7.0 Brine template family which has over 40 starting points. Brine which is one of the best templates anywhere was the inspiration for the look of  7.1.  You can use a transfer option from another 7.0 site, which works okay or  really well depending on the original template. 

Would simple pages like this transfer over so we don't have to re-add the images and gallery, etc? Or will nothing transfer over at all at the moment? If not, should we wait for them to offer this or just start rebuilding in 7.1 from scratch by keeping two windows open and lots of copy/paste? Or should we download the site attributes somehow, then rebuild?

https://www.elevatedphotos.ca/220-mill-street

10 hours ago, derricksrandomviews said:

There is no transfer function built in from 7.0 to 7.1. If you want a 7.1 site rebuilding with a new trial is really your only option. How you choose to do that is up to you, copy and paste, or save as to ones desktop then drag and drop into the new site or both for that matter. 

Are they working on an automatic transfer option? Trying to decide if I should wait or invest the time into doing it manually.

This question comes up a lot.  The answer is I am not aware of any built in transfer option in the works. There has been no official notice of any consideration to do it. I don't see it happening simply because they are two very different platforms.  I personally don't see 7.1 as an upgrade. I view it as a second model car, like an XT4 and an XT5, each one with its own features, choose the one that fits the best. And you can trade one for the other, but you cannot change one into the other. 

1 hour ago, Sebbo said:

Are they working on an automatic transfer option [from 7.0 to 7.1]?

If you are just considering 7.1 and don't need to move right now, I recommend staying on version 7.0 for the moment. There'll be support for this version for literally years to come (they are still supporting 5.0!) and 7.1 is still missing many of the 7.0 features.

If you do need to move to 7.1 to take advantage of new features that aren't available on 7.0, my advice is to start a new trial and see how you get on rebuilding your site on the new platform because it will be some time before there's a better option. The trial is free and will help you to see the differences between the two platforms. 

If you need help migrating standard pages, as well as collections (blog posts, products and events) from 7.0 to 7.1 then it may be worth contacting a Squarespace Expert to help you automate the migration of content. There are a number of caveats (see below) but it is less painful than manually creating the content.

Regarding a transfer or migration tool, I think it's fair to assume that Squarespace will introduce one for 7.0 content in due course, but a painless solution is unlikely to be available any time soon.

When a tool does arrive, I expect it will start off by covering the essentials, such as standard (not index) pages as well as collections (blog posts, products and events) and it will take some time to add other features, if it is even possible! For example, index pages and galleries would need to be translated into their 7.1 equivalents, and features like cover pages and albums don't exist on the newer platform.

Also, I don't imagine that early migration tools would copy across backend data like Orders, Customers, Email Campaigns or Analytics because the existing site duplication tool doesn't copy these across right now either. However, I hope I'm wrong!

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Archived