Member Only Access How to Restrict Access?

We are trying to create a restricted access for "members only", "wholesale customer", "investors" etc. I initially thought that the members area would work great but it's really not a members, it's more like a subscription page for general public. 

I'm using a previous work around to create a form page, the potential customer would fill that out, the email is sent to our office. If approved we have to send them the password and link to a hidden page. The problem is everyone has the password and can share it. It needs to be based on a customers account and access to certain pages. 

This seems really straightforward and necessary. Does anyone have any ideas. 

Hi there @eoddistillery, Ward here from MemberSpace 👋

Since your case seems like a subscription-based site and you definitely need to securely shield your content (Pdf's or multimedia protection is not something Members Area is offering at the moment).

I think it's a good idea for you to check out MemberSpace. You can approve members and customize automated emails, so I think this will save you a lot of hours of work. Also, we recommend content links to protect sensitive information like your PDF's. Disabling redirects or blackout codes still won't allow access to Content Links because that is authenticated via MemberSpace's server.

You can check out the comparison of the features at our website. Let me know if you have any questions about our features, and I will be happy to help!

@paul2009 members area allows for anyone to access the site. We need to pre-qualify the person before entering the site. At this point you are only allowed to password protect "a page". 

We have a wholesale page and I have a work around but it's convoluted at best. It's clumsy and really is not locked down. For now, they fill out the wholesale form. Once the email is received they receive the link to access the hidden page along with password. One password for everyone. If we need to change the password, I will have to notify everyone. It's not "personal account".

I have to look for another option.

I was so excited to see the members area and immediately signed up and purchased the license. After implementing it, I was disappointed. SO CLOSE.

Edited by eoddistillery
  • 3 weeks later...

I was disappointed as well, what I want to know now is how to disable it, I have deleted my membership area but yet it still shows up on my homepage as a login button, how do you delete this? My members area in the editor pages menu does not give me a toggle switch like I have been seeing in the videos. 

I have even gone into the "Edit Header" and the login button is not even present there to edit or do anything.

Can anyone help me because now I am confusing the people that come to my website when they think there is a sign up for a members area that does not exist, they can actually sign up right now but there is nothing there, how do I turn this monster off? 

It looks like I am going to go back and finish setting up memberspace, I was really hoping that the members area on squarespace would not be as clunky. 

Edited by CodyD
  • 1 month later...
On 12/16/2020 at 4:11 AM, CodyD said:

I was disappointed as well, what I want to know now is how to disable it, I have deleted my membership area but yet it still shows up on my homepage as a login button, how do you delete this? My members area in the editor pages menu does not give me a toggle switch like I have been seeing in the videos. 

I have even gone into the "Edit Header" and the login button is not even present there to edit or do anything.

Can anyone help me because now I am confusing the people that come to my website when they think there is a sign up for a members area that does not exist, they can actually sign up right now but there is nothing there, how do I turn this monster off? 

It looks like I am going to go back and finish setting up memberspace, I was really hoping that the members area on squarespace would not be as clunky. 

Hi @CodyD,

I believe you also have to turn off customer accounts at Home>Commerce>Customer Accounts>

É

• 4 months later...
17 minutes ago, AliM said:

Any update on the original question?

See this thread on the same topic:

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Sorry wrong link was pasted 😬

I have corrected it. However in summary, Squarespace haven’t fixed this issue. 

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 year later...

Hi @estrategytech!  Paige here from MemberSpace.

If you're looking to protect more than just a single website page via a password, you may consider trying a third-party platform like MemberSpace.

MemberSpace allows you to protect unlimited pages/content (i.e. images, pdfs, videos, etc.) on your existing Squarespace website.  From there, you can create various membership plans for your members to join so they can get access to the protected members-only pages/content.

If you'd like to manage who is able to join your membership site, you can turn on manual approval.  This feature ensures members are only allowed to join a plan and get access to your protected pages/content after you approve their account.

If you're interested in learning more or seeing if it'd be a good fit for you, please let me know!  I'm happy to help in any way I can. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would like to know about this too! I also need to approve specific people to join, but I don't want to have to have a paywall - that seems like too much. What I may end up doing is have a "registration" page that is unlinked on the site, and have the "Digital product" be free. But yes, only trouble is that if they share this login page, someone could have immediate access to everything.

I would LOVE an approval workflow for member sign-ups on specific member sites.

• 2 months later...

I'm desperate for this feature. My site is a tutoring site and I have content uploaded to a space for students to access. I don't want just anyone to be able to sign up and access the work. Ideally I'd like to be able to add these users myself. I did mention it to customer service when I last got in touch but haven't seen any evidence of it being a priority. I wish they would though, I'm just starting up this website and I hate thinking that I have to use a workaround like a form or pay money for Memberspace to perform such a simple function. 

• 1 month later...

Does Squarespace refuse to add a simple method to resolve this issue?  We need a method of adding members manually, allowing them to create a password protected login, once logged in they have access to a private page that features specific content, without any fees involved.  The recommendation from @ward320ny was a waste of time and not a solution.  They have a free plan, UNTIL, you want to allow your subscribers free access...then MemberSpace will charge you $40/month!!  GoDaddy offers this solution without any additional costs, why does Squarespace ignore their customers??