switch template from Flatiron (7.0) to Bergen (7.1)

Site URL: http://www.vikasdutt.com

Hi,

My website is currently on Flatiron template and I have 2 issues with my current site.

• The mobile link for navigation appears as "Menu" and I am looking for the three horizontal bars style.
  • I am looking for multiple level of navigation. I am not finding good enough options within this template for same.

Most of my needs are getting fulfilled by Bergen. However, I am unable to find this template within my existing website to make the switch. I am assuming it is because of 7.0 vs 7.1? My website has been around for many years and I have put in quite a bit of effort around SEO etc. Is there a way to switch templates? or address the 2 issues mentioned above?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Deepti

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no built in option to switch templates from 7.0 to 7.1 due to the fact they are built on very different design platforms. The way you would do it is to start a new trial with your 7.1 design choice, build your site, and when ready, activate it and then transfer your domain using SS's domain transfer feature in the new site. Then once it works, and checked out,  cancel your old site and receive an immediate credit, right then, for any time left with that site. 

On 7/18/2020 at 11:32 PM, deeptivd said:

My website has been around for many years and I have put in quite a bit of effort around SEO etc. Is there a way to switch templates? or address the 2 issues mentioned above?

As there isn’t currently a migration path from 7.0 to 7.1, you may want to consider switching to one of the Brine family family of 7.0 templates, as these are newer 7.0 templates and are the most flexible templates currently available - much more flexible than 7.1 right now. Switching to another 7.0 template preserves all pages and content, except some template-specific content. To see the 40+ Brine templates, take a look in the 7.0 Template Store.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 4 months later...
On 7/18/2020 at 11:57 PM, paul2009 said:

As there isn’t currently a migration path from 7.0 to 7.1, you may want to consider switching to one of the Brine family family of 7.0 templates, as these are newer and are the most flexible templates available - much more flexible than 7.1. Switching to another 7.0 template preserves all pages and content, except some template-specific content. To see the 40+ Brine templates, take a look in the 7.0 Template Store.

Hi @paul2009, could you explain a little? I'm trying to set up a site now, and it feels wrong to use something already outdated (7.0). So I've been working with 7.1 a bit, and while it is quite flexible, there are loads of quirks.

The flatiron template has a nice split scroll feature for project pages, and as far as I can tell, there is no way to create anything that fancy with 7.1

And I'm surprised to hear you say the 7.0 templates are newer and more flexible than 7.1; was that a typ-o or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!
Sam 

14 minutes ago, Porkue said:

And I'm surprised to hear you say the 7.0 templates are newer and more flexible than 7.1; was that a typ-o or am I missing something?

I can see why my comments can be misunderstood, so let me explain a little better. The original question asked about migrating from an old 7.0 template. As there was no migration path to 7.1 (there still isn’t!) I suggested that they consider the newest 7.0 template. This would enable them to migrate from one template to another and gain the most flexibility.

Squarespace 7.1 is newer, but because of this, it still lacks many of the features that are included in 7.0. This was a serious issue when it was first introduced but, since then, a number of updates have been rolled out, improving the situation.

As things stand, I wouldn’t say that Squarespace 7.0 is better or worse than Squarespace 7.1; they are just different. 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Archived