Lightbox captions only?

On 1/15/2021 at 4:47 AM, lichtwaas said:

hello everybody and @tuanphan,

I'm so  glad i found this topic!

I have the same problem like many of you have. I don't want my caption to show in the gallery grid but I do want the captions to show under the image when you click on the image and view it in lightbox mode. 

a second thing I've been struggling with is to make the text appear in lines beneath each other. 

for example this is what I write in the description of the image :

JACQUES CHOCOLADE
AGENCY SUMMER
PRODUCTION DIPLOMAT

but this is how it appears as caption
JACQUES CHOCOLADE AGENCY SUMMER PRODUCTION DIPLOMAT

I've tried adding the code provided by tuanphan but it doesn't do anything. I must say that adding code is totally new to me so i have no idea what to do to make it work.

could somebody please help me ? :)

this is the page:
https://bat-apple-45hg.squarespace.com/config/pages

email adres ; lichtwaas@gmail.com

password ; Tessie11

thank very much 

Arno

Was there a solution for this? I have the same problem.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/21/2020 at 5:54 AM, tuanphan said:
<script src="https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/jquery/3.5.0/jquery.min.js"></script>
<script>
function createNodeCaption(textContent){
	var divElement = document.createElement("div");
	var pElement = document.createElement("p");
	pElement.innerHTML = textContent;
	divElement.classList.add("style-gallery-lightbox-text");
	divElement.appendChild(pElement);
	return divElement;
}
$( document ).ready(function() {
    var itemGallery = document.getElementsByClassName('gallery-grid-item');
	var itemGalleryLightBox = document.getElementsByClassName('gallery-lightbox-item');
	var countGalleryItem = itemGallery.length;

for(var i = 0; i < countGalleryItem; i++){
		if(itemGallery[i].getElementsByTagName('p').length != 0){
			var text = itemGallery[i].getElementsByTagName('p')[0].textContent;
			var itemNeedCaption = itemGalleryLightBox[i].getElementsByClassName('gallery-lightbox-item-src')[0];
			itemNeedCaption.appendChild(createNodeCaption(text));
		}
	}
});

</script>
<style>
  figcaption.gallery-caption.gallery-caption-grid-simple {
    display: none;
}
.style-gallery-lightbox-text {
    padding: 10px 0px 25px 0px;
    display: block;
    position: absolute;
    left: 50%;
    top: 90%;
    width: 100%;
    transform: translate(-50%, -50%);
    font-size: .3em
    text-align: left;
}

.style-gallery-lightbox-text p {
    width: 90%;
    padding: 10px 15px;
    margin: auto;
    color: white;
    background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.5);
}
  @media screen and (max-width:767px) {
.style-gallery-lightbox-text {
    top: 70%;
}
}
</style>

This isn't working for me in 7.1. What am I missing? I've injected the code into the footer. michael-pressman.com/coast-of-maine-gallery pw: NewWebsite1!

Edited by KristenRuthSmith
Forgot to include pw
On 7/7/2021 at 4:38 AM, artpimpress said:

@tuanphan

I am having the same problem. I used the code that you provided and the caption now shows in Lightbox but I had added a bit of code to make the title bold and control line breaks. Is there a way to make that work within the code? Thanks! The website is https://jonathan-gaber.squarespace.com/work/bricks

Thank you!

Hi. Do you still need help on this?

8 hours ago, KristenRuthSmith said:

This isn't working for me in 7.1. What am I missing? I've injected the code into the footer. michael-pressman.com/coast-of-maine-gallery pw: NewWebsite1!

Try this code. 

https://forum.squarespace.com/topic/164356-lightbox-captions-only/?do=findComment&comment=457516

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

8 hours ago, tuanphan said:

@tuanphan I've injected the code into the footer with no effect. You can still see "Test description" on the masonry grid, not in the lightbox (both captions and lightbox are activated in the gallery section). Is there CSS code I need as well?

https://www.michael-pressman.com/coast-of-maine-gallery pw NewWebsite1!

On 4/10/2021 at 11:09 AM, tuanphan said:

Try adding new code. If it doesnt' work, keep the code & let me know. I can check easier

<script src="https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/jquery/3.5.0/jquery.min.js"></script>
<script>
jQuery(document).ready(function($){
    $('.gallery-lightbox-list .gallery-lightbox-item').each(function(){
        var text = $(this).find('img').attr("alt");
        console.log(text);
        $(this).append('<div class="lightbox-caption">' + text + '</div>');
    })
})
</script>
<style>
.lightbox-caption {
    color: white;
    font-weight: bold;
    margin: 15px 0;
    text-align: center;
    display: none;
    position: absolute;
    bottom: -65px;
    z-index: 9999;
}
.gallery-lightbox-wrapper:hover {
	cursor: pointer;
}
.gallery-lightbox-item[data-in='false'] .lightbox-caption {
	display: none!important;
}
.gallery-lightbox-item[data-active='true']:hover .lightbox-caption{
	display: inline-block;
}
.gallery-lightbox-wrapper:hover .gallery-lightbox-item[data-active='true'] .lightbox-caption{
	display: inline-block;
}
  .gallery-lightbox .lightbox-caption {
    display: block !important;
}
</style>

Thank you very much again @tuanphan this code works perfectly fine on my website.

Moreover, i need to add a CSS right after the caption. I succeed to do so but only without your code 😢

Meaning i cannot show the caption text + my CSS (a red or green small circle) only on lightbox like your code.

Would you be able to update your code in order to let this CSS works ?

#dispo::after{
  content:"●";
  color:green;

}

#pasdispo::after{
  color:red;

}

With this code i can write on description field of the image if one painting is available (dispo in french) or not (pasdispo in french) 😎.

image.thumb.png.72c4ce84cb174c358001c19c0babb5a9.png

Cheeerz !

15 hours ago, KristenRuthSmith said:

@tuanphan I've injected the code into the footer with no effect. You can still see "Test description" on the masonry grid, not in the lightbox (both captions and lightbox are activated in the gallery section). Is there CSS code I need as well?

https://www.michael-pressman.com/coast-of-maine-gallery pw NewWebsite1!

Have you enabled Caption yet? Edit Gallery Section (pencil icon) >> Caption -- Choose: Enable

Or send to forum message

9 hours ago, trstmnd said:

Thank you very much again @tuanphan this code works perfectly fine on my website.

Moreover, i need to add a CSS right after the caption. I succeed to do so but only without your code 😢

Meaning i cannot show the caption text + my CSS (a red or green small circle) only on lightbox like your code.

Would you be able to update your code in order to let this CSS works ?

#dispo::after{
  color:green;

}

#pasdispo::after{
  color:red;

}

With this code i can write on description field of the image if one painting is available (dispo in french) or not (pasdispo in french) 😎.

image.thumb.png.72c4ce84cb174c358001c19c0babb5a9.png

Cheeerz !

you will need to new js code to keep span tag on lightbox caption

Or send to forum message

• 3 weeks later...

I've read through all of these posts Tuanphan, but still can't quite seem to get the result I can see in this Squarespace site: https://www.lindylee.net/works

As you can see the grid shows a description under each image. The Lightbox shows a different description under the image (with hover effect) while still allowing you to navigate between images staying in the Lightbox.

I've been able to create an image grid manually (not using the built in grids) to show a different description under the grid image than I have under the Lightbox image, BUT then I can't click through to the next image inside the Lightbox view.

Does anyone have a solution to this? Clearly it has been done (I hope not in an earlier version of Squarespace -pre-7.1) as you can see on https://www.lindylee.net/works.

Using the built in Squarespace galleries only gives you a single field for a description, so I assume that's the limitation and means I can't use these built in ones but rather need to create a manual grid as described above. With the aim to have a different description on the grid to the Lightbox.

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by micahet
15 hours ago, micahet said:

Does anyone have a solution to this? Clearly it has been done (I hope not in an earlier version of Squarespace -pre-7.1)

I don't have a solution.

Unfortunately it is as you hoped it wouldn't be. The site you cite as an example is a v7.0 using the Avenue template. The image grid you see is a gallery block which is not currently supported on v7.1. The titles that you see in the cited site are built-in features of the gallery block.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

35 minutes ago, creedon said:

I don't have a solution.

Ahh, thanks all the same @creedon - appreciate you following up on this so quickly!

Really wish Squarespace would open up a few more customisable options for those that wish to use them. Simple things, like: grid description and lightbox description as 2 separate fields.

Thanks.

@micahet

You may still be able to get where you want but it may take a bit more work to get there.

Try to find a method in your v7.1 site that does most of what you want. I would think the lightbox and lb text is the most complex element.

Then with some CSS and/or Javascript add titles to the gallery grid. That part may need to be maintained manually.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 4 weeks later...

Site URL: https://fiddle-guitar-2rwb.squarespace.com/config/pages

Hello everybody,

I’m hoping someone would be able to help here, tried posting a new thread and there was no reply.

I’m making a portfolio using the Beaumont theme, and I’m still on trial version. I would like to be able to type a description of the image that would be visible only in the lightbox, and not on hover but fixed. I’m not able to code, but I can definitely copy & paste 🙂 Does anyone know, is this possible in Beaumont? 

On 9/14/2021 at 4:08 PM, Bokki said:

Hello everybody,

I’m hoping someone would be able to help here, tried posting a new thread and there was no reply.

I’m making a portfolio using the Beaumont theme, and I’m still on trial version. I would like to be able to type a description of the image that would be visible only in the lightbox, and not on hover but fixed. I’m not able to code, but I can definitely copy & paste 🙂 Does anyone know, is this possible in Beaumont? 

Hi,

use this code https://forum.squarespace.com/topic/151777-gallery-caption-workarounds-for-71-round-two

Or send to forum message

@tuanphan Thank you so much, it all worked perfectly! I read most of the thread and figured out how to do exactly what I wanted. The only thing that remains is how to make the description box (within the lightbox) totally transparent. If you know a shortcut to this, please let me know…if not, I thin I can figure it out on my own (probably changing the value of background color in the CSS? 

On 9/14/2021 at 4:08 PM, Bokki said:

Hello everybody,

Your site is private. Can you setup password & share url again? We can help easier

Or send to forum message

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, Jurajsimkovic said:

Hi,

is there any way to add captions in a lightbox view, with masonry grid-gallery (preferably) and without the need to upgrade to business plan and higher?

Thank you.

Juraj

Hi,

Do you use SS 7.1 or 7.0, if 7.0, which template? Can you share link to your site?

Or send to forum message

• 2 weeks later...

Hi There. 

Totally New to Squarespace and have found this thread after wanting to have captions on my Lightbox and not on my grid gallery. I have followed the instructions as per tuanphan and have copied the coding in to the code injection > Header. It has worked great, but the Captions are in White and will only show up if the background is dark. I want my website to be white and clean in appearance. Is there anyway of making the captions black text instead of white?

TIA

Kim

*Update... I figured it our by changing white to black in the coding*

Many thanks for this thread and for the original code

Edited by KWP
I resolved my issue
22 hours ago, TahoeBound said:

Hi!

I have an individual plan and would like to have my captions on lightbox view only. Is that possible? I can only use custom CSS or code blocks? Please help!

https://fife-cornet-fx9g.squarespace.com/config/

pass: squarespace2022

Individual Plan, you mean Personal Plan or Business Plan?

Where is gallery? I don't see it on homepage

Or send to forum message

13 hours ago, KWP said:

Hi There. 

Totally New to Squarespace and have found this thread after wanting to have captions on my Lightbox and not on my grid gallery. I have followed the instructions as per tuanphan and have copied the coding in to the code injection > Header. It has worked great, but the Captions are in White and will only show up if the background is dark. I want my website to be white and clean in appearance. Is there anyway of making the captions black text instead of white?

TIA

Kim

*Update... I figured it our by changing white to black in the coding*

Many thanks for this thread and for the original code

Do you still need help or fixed all?

Or send to forum message