iPhone High Efficiency Image File Format (HEIC)

Squarespace don't support direct uploading of any video formats and so the newer HEVC format is no different in this respect. When you upload your video from your iOS device to a video sharing service (such as Vimeo or YouTube) it can be shared in a more compatible format such as H.264. Once uploaded, you can embed the video on your site. This Squarespace guide provides more information: Adding videos to your site.

Regarding other new industry formats like HEIF, iOS devices allow you to share media in a more compatible format that the receiving device will support, such as JPEG. You can do this with USB transfer, AirDrop, Messages and email, or open them in Photos and choose Export.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

3 hours ago, paul2009 said:

Squarespace don't support direct uploading of any video formats and so the newer HEVC format is no different in this respect. When you upload your video from your iOS device to a video sharing service (such as Vimeo or YouTube) it can be shared in a more compatible format such as H.264. Once uploaded, you can embed the video on your site. This Squarespace guide provides more information: Adding videos to your site.

Regarding other new industry formats like HEIF, iOS devices allow you to share media in a more compatible format that the receiving device will support, such as JPEG. You can do this with USB transfer, AirDrop, Messages and email, or open them in Photos and choose Export.

Many thanks Paul, would be good to upload direct as sometimes don't want to add a video to another service just to be able to link it to squarespace but maybe that's something for future developments.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, rdbsmiles said:

Squarespace must begin to support this format [HEIC] so we can begin to upload photos to our websites from our Apple Photos.

Your iPhone will automatically share HEIC files in JPEG format, so you won't have any issues upload photos to your website.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

9 hours ago, paul2009 said:

Your iPhone will automatically share HEIC files in JPEG format, so you won't have any issues upload photos to your website.

But that's only if you're using the Squarespace app, right? That is not happening using Apple Photos on a MacBook. I can't drag photos into Squarespace without it telling me that it's not a supported format.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

What the heic! 

I have just bought a new Mac laptop and Squarespace is not recognising my photos for uploading onto my ecommerce website. Is this a problem with my new laptop or is Squarespace for real not up to date? Unbelievably slack if its Squarespace. Help from anyone more techie than me appreciated please.

On 6/10/2020 at 6:03 PM, paul2009 said:

Well, that's no problem, all the videos that have been made already will be uploaded the way they are If you want to improve the quality of your videos then you should record in 1280x720 because youtube will resize the videos if you don't upload it in the correct resolutions, I have been testing around with all kinds of settings but youtube will always screw up the quality if the resolution is not right.

• 2 years later...