Proposing available time slots for In-store Pickup

Site URL: http://www.balboste.com

Hello to the community,

I'm rebuilding my website and I will sell products through Commerce, mainly available for in-store Pickups.

Our opening hours and days for people to pick their order will change from a week to another (we're a catering company, so depending of our events we may be out of the store and in-store pickup won't be available at this time or day)

I would like for people to have the ability, when choosing in-store pickup as a delivery option during the purchase funnel of our product, to be able to book a slot among predefined available slots. I did'nt find a existing features doing this in squarespace and didn't find any topic on the forum or web.

I will use SQ Commerce and Scheduling for my ecommerce on one side and for workshops booking on the other side.

I was thinking doing a combination of both services to do what I described above. Consumer Journey I'm thinking :

- Customer is buying a product.

- He's choosing in-store pickup as a delivery option (I will create this delivery option with flat fee 0 euros).

- In the checkout page after payment, he will click on a link redirecting him to a Scheduling module where he can book a slot for it's pick up.

My questions :

- is it a good way to proceed ? What do you think ?

- His there a way to "link" the chekout details so the scheduling page is prefilled with cutomer details ? (to avoid any mistakes and to make sure I can link the booking to the order and prepare the product in store for the pick up day)

Hope this is clear. Happy to chat about it.

Thanks,

Jonathan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jonathan

I think this is a great idea and something I'm also thinking about implementing on client sites. 
I think you could check with Acuity directly if you can prepopulate fields by appending them in the URL.
You might be able to pull some useful fields from the Confirmation page, which you can see in the Settings > Advanced > Code Injection section:

• {orderId}: The unique ID of the confirmed order
  • {orderSubtotal}: The subtotal of the confirmed order
  • {orderSubtotalCents}: The subtotal of the confirmed order, in cents
  • {orderGrandTotal}: The grand total of the confirmed order
  • {orderGrandTotalCents}: The grand total of the confirmed order, in cents
  • {customerEmailAddress}:The customer's email address, as it was entered in the "Billing Info" section

Maybe you can embed the link to the scheduling page and append some of these strings above to it? 

Would love to see how you get on, great idea and very useful in current times.

Catherine

• 1 month later...

Hello @brightskydigital. Sorry I didn't see the notification for your reply sonner than... today.

I've asked the support team a few weeks ago, I copy-pasting the answer here if it can help. They don't have the miracle solution, so far I'm going with fixed pick up times several times a week. I don't want to create too many blockers in the customer journey that will make me loose client.

I'm not sure i'm skilled enough to work on your solutions 😞

[SQ Support solutions]

You have a great idea, however, it's not possible to pre-fill information added on Squarespace into Squarespace Scheduling or Acuity Scheduling product. 

Also, we don't offer a way to integrate Squarespace Commerce into Scheduling or the other way around. 

To be able to choose a slot when buying a product, I would suggest creating variants to your products, each variant being a day and time as options. This way your customers would be able to choose an available slot when placing the product in cart. You can read more about it in the article below:

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/206540897-Adding-complex-product-variants

You can, of course, also add a link to your schedule, if that works better, however, from personal experience, choosing a delivery slot can make or break a sale, so it might be worth choosing the pickup first. You can read more about for adding more information to the checkout confirmation page in the article below:

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002111987-Customizing-your-checkout-experience#toc-changing-your-continue-shopping-link

Alternatively, you can use the custom checkout form to collect information about their preferred pick up time throughout the checkout process, but it wouldn't be slot based. You can read more about it in the article below:

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/206540907-Creating-a-custom-checkout-form

Finally, if you haven't set up local pick up yet as a shipping option for orders on your site, you can set the flat rate shipping with a 0.00 delivery fee. For visuals on setting up a Flat Rate shipping option, see our guide here:

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/206540667

• 1 month later...

Hi, I am building a customer's website. Its a physical store that sells pastries to pick-up and on delivery.

I already created 2 types of products, products on delivery and products to pick-up. Products to pick-up category is configured as a service product (without delivery address). I also created a custom check out form with pick up options (pick-up days - and pick-up slots).

The problem I am facing is that the custom check-out form also appears for delivery products which is confusing

1. Is there a way to add custom check-out forms only to service products and not to physical products?

2. Ideally I would like to propose in the custom check-ou form a calendar I could configure to allow pick up only after 48 hours as they are selling made to order products.

Thanks in advance for your help

Thomas

• 1 month later...

This goes into the fact that t\here needs to be a more robust DELIVERY section of the Commerce product overall. Everything is hacks and no matter what, the checkout page still has words like "SHIPPING" in it - even if we are doing delivery or pickup.

I'm trying to set up a delivery website and the custom checkout form has all the delivery info in it. Using that Form, and you can add a "date" field for delivery - but there is nothing to stop the user from putting a date in the PAST! This Commerce product seems to only be geared to shipping and it would be so helpful to do delivery and pickup updates... 

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I've dug deep into this and I'm happy to share what I've found 🙂

Thoughts for Jonathan_balboste 

On 4/24/2020 at 1:59 PM, Jonathan_balboste said:

I was thinking doing a combination of both services to do what I described above. Consumer Journey I'm thinking :

- Customer is buying a product.

- He's choosing in-store pickup as a delivery option (I will create this delivery option with flat fee 0 euros).

- In the checkout page after payment, he will click on a link redirecting him to a Scheduling module where he can book a slot for it's pick up.

This would work. I've implemented this for one customer already.

Video – Scheduling in Checkout (scheduling after payment)

...However. I've implemented a similar thing for a website that's also a catering company. Our experience was that customers wanted to see available dates before payment. Becauase of this I implemented a different solution for them.

Video – Scheduling in Checkout (scheduling before payment)

On 6/15/2020 at 7:16 PM, Jonathan_balboste said:

[SQ Support solutions]

You have a great idea, however, it's not possible to pre-fill information added on Squarespace into Squarespace Scheduling or Acuity Scheduling product. 

This is not true.

It's absolutely possible just like brightskydigital mentioned in their comment. 

If you have Scheduling after payment, you can add order ID and customer email address. 
There are also fields for name, last name and phone. Those are not needed because customer has added that information already when paying in the ecommerce checkout. You can pre-fill those to say "LEAVE BLANK", or even better, use custom CSS (in Scheduling Powerhouse -plan) and hide those fields completely. 

I'm writing a blog post on this Add Acuity Scheduling to Squarespace e-commerce checkout.

I will update the blog post as more info comes up.

I'm also thinking of creating a Scheduling + Squarespace Checkout -plugin.

And I also consult with anyone who needs help with this. 

Edited by codeandtonic
separate answers

Freelance Squarespace developer making plugins like Full-Width Blocks, Hover effects for grid gallery and the Darkmode plugin. I know Squarespace inside out and I'm able to solve pretty much any Squarespace code problem.

Get in touch here!

TOM75008,

On 8/8/2020 at 10:54 PM, TOM75008 said:

I already created 2 types of products, products on delivery and products to pick-up. Products to pick-up category is configured as a service product (without delivery address). I also created a custom check out form with pick up options (pick-up days - and pick-up slots).

The problem I am facing is that the custom check-out form also appears for delivery products which is confusing

1. Is there a way to add custom check-out forms only to service products and not to physical products?

What you're trying to achieve is possible. We can add a text string to any products SKU. For example:
SKU-2-delivery
SKU-1-pickup

...then, after payment depending on which products the customers bought we'd either show the scheduling widget or not.

With this solution we're free to create any logic, for example show a different scheduling calendar for people who buy a product that takes longer to create, and another for products that you have on stock.

On 8/8/2020 at 10:54 PM, TOM75008 said:

2. Ideally I would like to propose in the custom check-ou form a calendar I could configure to allow pick up only after 48 hours as they are selling made to order products.

This is also possible if you use Squarespace Scheduling. I'll record a video showing how to do it

Freelance Squarespace developer making plugins like Full-Width Blocks, Hover effects for grid gallery and the Darkmode plugin. I know Squarespace inside out and I'm able to solve pretty much any Squarespace code problem.

Get in touch here!

raeroshow,

On 10/1/2020 at 9:34 PM, raeroshow said:

This goes into the fact that t\here needs to be a more robust DELIVERY section of the Commerce product overall. Everything is hacks

I agree with you 100% 🤯

the checkout page still has words like "SHIPPING" in it - even if we are doing delivery or pickup.

This is actually fixed now! Phew. See this video: 

but there is nothing to stop the user from putting a date in the PAST! This Commerce product seems to only be geared to shipping and it would be so helpful to do delivery and pickup updates... 

This is also a thing that using Scheduling + Squarespace ecommerce will fix, and is another reason to consider that as a solution. 

If anyone needs help with datepickers, scheduling + checkout and doesn't find existing solution to work, I also can help 1-on-1:
hide[at]codeandtonic.com

Edited by codeandtonic

Get in touch here!