How to limit a service or product to one per order

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Hello!

For one of my service that I offer on my website, I would like my customers to be limited to only 1 quantity  per order.  Basically, I don't want them to be able to press "add service" twice to the cart. How can I do that?

Furthermore, once the customer is on the checkout page, the quantity field is editable. How can I make it uneditable so that the quantity is fixed to 1 ?

Thanks ahead for your time in answering this. 

Best,

Charles

• Solution
On 1/14/2020 at 2:30 PM, ctwolfe said:

How to limit a service or product to one per order

It depends on whether you want to limit a service or a physical product.

Service Product: To prevent customers from buying more than one of any service product at a time, uncheck Let Customers Buy Multiple Service Products in Checkout settings

image.thumb.png.6ef00f38cb2eae78faef7bad7eabb792.png

Physical Product: There isn't a way to enforce this for a physical product but you can encourage it by hiding the quantity option so that users don't have the opportunity to change it to more than one. You can also enable Express Checkout so that the customer is sent straight to the checkout, bypassing the cart and further shopping.

Edited by paul2009
Updated screenshot due to Squarespace changes to UI in October 2022

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I had same question - I do not want them to purchase more than 1 service.   

I do not know what version I have, but the instructions someone wrote for all those 'brino, etc. versions', did not work for my version but - Thank God - these steps listed below did fix it.

Home page

go to 'Commerce'

go down to 'Checkout'

go to 'Service Product Limits' and 'uncheck' this box.     yeah!  This worked for me, hope it works for you.

SERVICE PRODUCT LIMITS
Allow customers to buy more than one service product at at time.

Let Customers Buy Multiple Service Products

J.Stone from StonepointDS  4/7/22

Edited by StonepointDS
  • 9 months later...

I'm a newer user to squarespace but I'm actually not seeing that option anymore under checkout.

The three tabs are "custom button," "custom form," and "subscription." The subscription tab does NOT have an option to limit quantity. Just how often you want to charge the customer.

Is there a new way to do this or was this feature removed?

19 hours ago, Tina_D said:

I'm actually not seeing that option anymore under checkout.

I think you may be confusing the Checkout settings for an individual product (when adding or editing a product) with the site’s Checkout settings.  

To open the Checkout panel to change this setting:

1. Go to the Home menu
  2. Click Commerce
  3. Click Cart & checkout

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009
edited for clarity

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Curious about an element of this as well. Our service products are camp sign ups and I'm trying to figure out the best way to set it up so if a parent wants to sign up 2 kids they can, but we need information no each kid. We have a custom form for enrollment, but it seems clunky to have fields for Name or names. Wondering if I can have the customer buy each enrollment as a separate item, even though they are the same sessions. That way they would buy an item for each kid even though its the same item. 

I don't think I want to globally limit services to just 1, but each item in the cart should be singular. 

Ideas? 

• 3 months later...

The solution I use is code injection via Javascript in the footer. For the specific product I want to limit to 5 items, I use the following:

document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', (event) => { 
  // data-item-id = the product page's qty div
  // If someone enters more than 5, the value will revert to 5.
  // Be sure to add instructions for the qty limit in the product description.
  const quantityInput = document.querySelector('.product-quantity-input[data-item-id="6669115df767f5244f9d1f8d"] input[type="number"]');       quantityInput.addEventListener('input', () => { 
    if (quantityInput.value > 5) { quantityInput.value = 5; } 
  }); 
});

Edited by enjoysnacks808
On 6/13/2024 at 5:39 AM, enjoysnacks808 said:

The solution I use is code injection via Javascript in the footer. For the specific product I want to limit to 5 items, I use the following:

const quantityInput = document.querySelector('.product-quantity-input[data-item-id="6669115df767f5244f9d1f8d"] input[type="number"]');       quantityInput.addEventListener('input', () => { 
  }); 
});

Please help.

Hi I need to do this for a complimentary add-on and do not want them to be able to add more than 1. I tried this code in the footer however nothing changed. Can you please provide an update?

You can test this by adding the Complimentary add-on to cart in this product link and viewing in the cart.

https://missgray.com/shop/p/all-attitude-baroque-blouse

password: hello

On 6/13/2024 at 5:39 AM, enjoysnacks808 said:

}); 
});

On 6/12/2024 at 2:39 PM, enjoysnacks808 said:

}); 
});

So I've added this to a code block in my products page, updated the data-item-id and I get nothing. The text that is highlighted in green in the above snippet is red in my code block so not sure if that matters. When I put the code in I am doing it in an HTML (Since I researched and found out selecting Javascript for the block is for displaying the code and not running it) block and pasting the following:

<script>

// data-item-id ="667b74bca548e337af44eff8"
  const quantityInput = document.querySelector('.product-quantity-input[data-item-id="667b74bca548e337af44eff8"] input[type="number"]');       quantityInput.addEventListener('input', () => { 
  }); 
});

</script>

I have also tried adding this to the Code Injection area of my site and still get nothing. I am allowed to enter whatever quantity I want to the cart. 

@enjoysnacks808 any ideas? About ready to put my head through my monitor lol

Edited by Vanniek71
17 minutes ago, Vanniek71 said:

So I've added this to a code block in my products page, updated the data-item-id and I get nothing. The text that is highlighted in green in the above snippet is red in my code block so not sure if that matters. When I put the code in I am doing it in an HTML (Since I researched and found out selecting Javascript for the block is for displaying the code and not running it) block and pasting the following:

<script>

// data-item-id ="667b74bca548e337af44eff8"
  const quantityInput = document.querySelector('.product-quantity-input[data-item-id="667b74bca548e337af44eff8"] input[type="number"]');       quantityInput.addEventListener('input', () => { 
  }); 
});

</script>

I have also tried adding this to the Code Injection area of my site and still get nothing. I am allowed to enter whatever quantity I want to the cart. 

@enjoysnacks808 any ideas? About ready to put my head through my monitor lol

I just figured it out for those still wondering! (This may not be the exact way enjoysnacks808 did it in his site, but this just worked on mine)

You need to go to Website Tools>Code Injection> Footer and then paste the code snippet like this:

<script>
  // data-item-id ="Enter your data item ID number here"
  const quantityInput = document.querySelector('.product-quantity-input[data-item-id="Enter your data item ID number here"] input[type="number"]');       quantityInput.addEventListener('input', () => { 
  }); 
});
</script>

For the data item ID you would enter it like this const quantityInput = document.querySelector('.product-quantity-input[data-item-id="6669115df767f5244f9d1f8d"] input[type="number"]');  where your items actual data-item-id is in " ". 

Then you would need to update the numbers in the "if" statement to the max quantity you want to be able to be selected.

Also make sure you have script tags <script> </script> around the code - that's what was breaking it for me. I was just pasting what enjoysnacks808 had posted and it did not work. I added the script tags and it started working.

The only issue I see with this is that yes it allows a max quantity of X (Whatever you set) to be added to the cart at a time, but I can add that max quantity over and over again. 

e.g. the code above allows for a max qty of 5, I can add 5 and then once the item is added to my cart I can then click add to cart again and it will add 5 more. I don't think there is a way to limit the amount of times an item can be added to a cart like that (at least that I have found) so while this is a step int he right direction, still not the answer to those of us that need a quantity limit enforced.

Edited by Vanniek71
1 hour ago, Vanniek71 said:

The only issue I see with this is that yes it allows a max quantity of X (Whatever you set) to be added to the cart at a time, but I can add that max quantity over and over again. 

Sadly, it isn't possible to enforce maximum quantities with code. In addition to the issue with the code that you mentioned above, when a customer reaches the final checkout page, they'll be able to change the quantity to anything they like:

image.thumb.png.c2d217dff00b98fd6c9bf977700073de.png

50 minutes ago, paul2009 said:

Sadly, it isn't possible to enforce maximum quantities with code. In addition to the issue with the code that you mentioned above, when a customer reaches the final checkout page, they'll be able to change the quantity to anything they like:

image.thumb.png.c2d217dff00b98fd6c9bf977700073de.png

Yes I understand that part, it would be neat however if you could limit them to only adding say max qty 5 of one certain item to the cart when they are in the product page via the add to cart button. That would at least limit it somewhat!

Edited by Vanniek71