Pre-sale - Authorize now, capture payment later

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Hi there, 

We are wanting to pre-sell items while they are still in production. We're trying to set the site & Payment gateways (Stripe and PayPal) up so that we can authorize the payment and capture funds closer to the ship date. Has anyone had success with this on SS? So far we've learned that the Stripe create customer API is not compatible with Squarespace. What about PayPal? Anyone have success with this and want to share how they've done this? 

• Solution

You cannot use payment gateways on Squarespace in this way.

If you want to authorise a hold on a transaction amount and then transfer funds when the order ships you'll need to use a payment gateway API. These cannot be integrated with Squarespace.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 year later...

@shonna Things haven't changed. You can only do this on Scheduling. You cannot do it on Squarespace Commerce.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 6 months later...

I am in the same boat. I've contacted support and was told my suggestion would be noted. It's really frustrating as Shopify has had this feature since 2015, so it seems from a post I found. We simply need one toggle in the commerce section to "authorize only" which then gives us 7 days to capture the order in the Stripe dashboard (or SS orders tab).

I need this kind of processing ability as my orders almost always change in value, most times increase. It also adds another level of security and avoids all sorts of issues associated with accepting credit card payments. Merging authorization and capture at the time of checkout simply does not fit the way we do business... I did not know about this before choosing SS, you only learn about these things afterwards... as a newbie to all this.

I hope others here contact support and raise this matter, perhaps it will be heard a bit more loudly.

Here is what is on Shopify's website -

1. From your Shopify admin, go to Settings > Payments.
  1. In the Payment capture section, click Manage.

2. Select Manually capture payment for orders.

3. Optional: If you use Shopify Payments and you want to receive emails before the authorization period for each order ends, then check Send a warning email when authorizations are close to expiring.

Edited by Shaun_mav
  • 1 year later...