Can I calculate shipping automatically from the customers address in checkout?

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 10
  • Views 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you can determine shipping zones to be charged at different rates easily.

For example, I ship from New Zealand to different countries and charge international shipping, but within NZ it charges local shipping rates.
This can be customised for countries, postcodes, states, provinces, etc..

From main settings menu:
COMMERCE - SHIPPING - ADD SHIPPING OPTION - FLAT RATE - now select right hand tab SHIPPING ZONES

I hope this helps!

I came across this problem and yes it can be done. You have to sign up for the Commerce Advanced Plan. It's allows you to add the specific weight and dimension of your product. Then you can click on the carriers that you use for shipping and pick the different ways you want to offer shipping. Overnight, priority, ground, etc. When the customer goes to checkout it will automatically calculated the shipping based on the weight you put in and their address. when you set this up on Commerce - Shipping, it will also allow you to add on a percentage for shipping cost. I added 25% for materials and time. I did a test run and it came out perfect for me. I hope this is helpful. I just set mine up on Wed.

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to do the same, but I need the shipping zones based on my city, not only my country. I cannot see anywhere an option for that. 

So for example, Radius of 3km: 1€, Radius of 10km, 2€ and so on. I need to block as well areas. I cannot ship outside of the city centre. (I am selling food).

I cannot find anywhere an option for this. 

Bespoke delivery options based on the customer's address cannot be added to the checkout to allow for manual local deliveries.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Hello Paul, do you have any idea if this can be solved through coding, plugins or any other options? We are selling take away food online and I guess more and more people will need these specifications as well. I am trying to integrate our courier service at the moment, so they come and pick it up automatically, but they also charge per zone. Thank You Christiane

Hello Christiane

Ideally you’d want to add the relevant delivery charges as soon as the customer has entered their name and address. On Squarespace, they are required to enter their address details on the final checkout page, but this page is locked down to protect payment processing. This prevents us from adding any code to interrupt the purchase workflow and apply local delivery charges based on the address. You could simply add the options to the shipping section and ask customers to pick the right one, but it will default to the cheapest one and there’s no way to block them from placing orders outside your delivery area or to ensure they pick the correct rate. 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 2 weeks later...

Christiane

If you are considering Stuart delivery, take a look at Flipdish. Flipdish works with the Stuart API and Squarespace.

-Paul

• 1 month later...

How about creating shipping zones here in New Zealand? We want to limit the postcodes (zipcodes) that we will ship to locally. We only deliver our fresh food to customers within a few postcodes in our city (Auckland) Is there a way to limit the postcodes a customer can enter in this case? Or is it only available to US & Canada?

Archived