Decreasing Section Padding Squarespace 7.1

Go to solution Solved by tuanphan,

I am using Squarespace 7.1 and need to remove vertical padding from sections - i.e. where sections join other sections. I imagine I'm not the only one thinking there is too much white space as a default and I can't find a way to remove it. 

Any ideas? I'm a new squarespace user and unfamiliar with custom css but will go down that road if needed. 

Thanks!

First click on the little pencil to edit the block...

115366628_Screenshot2019-10-14at20_11_28.thumb.png.7373c8bd21152e6d63251e1588e82443.png

Then use the section height tool to adjust the section height....

1010675693_Screenshot2019-10-14at20_11_43.thumb.png.7d1a9c975a294a63f154a1ef588db507.png

I hope this helps.

Steven Scott - Creative Partner
TwoFifths Design Ltd.

59 Fifth Street
Newtongrange
Edinburgh
EH22 4PJ

T: 0131 663 6047
M: 07925 950 031
E: hello@twofifthsdesign.com

www.twofifthsdesign.com

Thank you both for taking the time to try to help me. Unfortunately I can't share the site link yet as it is password protected and I don't have permission from the organisation it is for. I tried to adjust the section height to go as small as possible but there is still too much white space for my liking. I am using for the home page text overlaid on a background image, followed by a section containing blog posts displayed as a carousel, followed by a footer. I want to reduce the white space between the carousel and the image (on top) and footer (on bottom).  I'll keep playing around with this:) Thanks again. 

There is a min-height of 33vh set on sections. You need to override that to get the sections smaller. 

For all sections this would be:

.page-section {
    min-height: 0 !important;
}

For a specific section you need to specify the data-section-id that can be found by inspecting the page code using your browser's developer tools.

Somethig like this:

.page-section[data-section-id="5d979fd8590a832f3c411579"] {
}

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
12 hours ago, mpuls1 said:

I am having the same problem. The CSS isn't working for me and when I inspect the page, I also have "MagicPaddingController. Can anyone help? I am trying to reduce the padding on all gallery sections.

Use CSS

[data-section-id="enter section id here"] .content-wrapper {padding-top: 5px; padding-bottom: 5px;}

Each section has different ID. If you share link to your site, I can take a look

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

On 4/4/2020 at 4:11 AM, tuanphan said:

Use CSS

[data-section-id="enter section id here"] .content-wrapper {padding-top: 5px; padding-bottom: 5px;}

Each section has different ID. If you share link to your site, I can take a look

@tuanphan I am brand new to coding and website-building. Could you take a peek at the website I am working on? I am trying to make a very short block at the footer of every page for the copyright notice, but I haven't gotten anything to work yet.

I believe the block id is block-24f7fac60c5ecb3e84ae. I am not able to enter a custom code block with the plan I am on.

17 hours ago, tv42 said:

@tuanphan I am brand new to coding and website-building. Could you take a peek at the website I am working on? I am trying to make a very short block at the footer of every page for the copyright notice, but I haven't gotten anything to work yet.

I believe the block id is block-24f7fac60c5ecb3e84ae. I am not able to enter a custom code block with the plan I am on.

Use this CSS

footer#footer-sections>section:last-child .content-wrapper {
    padding-top: 5px;
    padding-bottom: 5px;
}

Or send to forum message

3 hours ago, tuanphan said:

Use this CSS

footer#footer-sections>section:last-child .content-wrapper {
    padding-top: 5px;
    padding-bottom: 5px;
}

Thanks for your response. It doesn't look like that worked either, though 😞

41 minutes ago, tuanphan said:

Try this

[data-section-id="5e8f4059a780b645bb8468ac"] {
    min-height: 10vh !important;
}
[data-section-id="5e8f4059a780b645bb8468ac"] .content-wrapper {
    padding-top: 2px !important;
    padding-bottom: 2px !important;
}

That worked! Thanks for your help!

• 1 month later...
On 10/14/2019 at 10:05 AM, colin.irwin said:

Can you provide a link to your site?

On 10/15/2019 at 6:07 AM, colin.irwin said:

There is a min-height of 33vh set on sections. You need to override that to get the sections smaller. 

For all sections this would be:

.page-section {
}

For a specific section you need to specify the data-section-id that can be found by inspecting the page code using your browser's developer tools.

Somethig like this:

.page-section[data-section-id="5d979fd8590a832f3c411579"] {
}

Edited by AdamR-NC
  • 2 weeks later...

@tuanphan If I want to change the vertical padding on every slideshow throughout my site, do I need to write a bit of code that identifies each of those items individually or is there a way to implement a site-wide change to this aspect of the design? Thanks for all the help you provide in this community!

The site I'm working on is hillashapira.com, password: 2020. Just trying to close the gap between slideshows and the text section beneath them. 

On 6/6/2020 at 11:00 PM, AdamR-NC said:

Working in 7.1 and I'm not really a coder. Is there a way to take section heights all the way to 0 on a site? (It doesn't allow for lower than 10) I have too much space between text blocks and image content.

Add to Home > Design > Custom CSS to remove min-height 10

#page section {
	min-height: unset !Important;
	height: auto !important;
}

Or send to forum message

On 6/20/2020 at 12:32 AM, nellykate said:

@tuanphan If I want to change the vertical padding on every slideshow throughout my site, do I need to write a bit of code that identifies each of those items individually or is there a way to implement a site-wide change to this aspect of the design? Thanks for all the help you provide in this community!

The site I'm working on is hillashapira.com, password: 2020. Just trying to close the gap between slideshows and the text section beneath them. 

I think I answered you. You can check again

Or send to forum message

I injected the code you sent above without success. Where I see #page, do I need to use .gallery-slideshow instead? Attached, you'll see a photo of what I'm hoping to achieve. Thank you!

2 hours ago, tuanphan said:

Add to Home > Design > Custom CSS to remove min-height 10

#page section {
	min-height: unset !Important;
	height: auto !important;
}

Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 11.32.00 AM.png

20 hours ago, nellykate said:

I injected the code you sent above without success. Where I see #page, do I need to use .gallery-slideshow instead? Attached, you'll see a photo of what I'm hoping to achieve. Thank you!

Can you share link to page in screenshot? I can't find exact portfolio page

Or send to forum message

9 hours ago, nellykate said:

Add to Home > Design > Custom CSS

[data-section-id="5eebfb3b41e0e356fec85a0a"] .gallery-slideshow {
    padding-bottom: 2vw !important;
}

Or send to forum message