So disappointed with customer service for domain issues

It has been more than a month since I have tried to transfer my domain name from one Squarespace site to the other, and I still do not have my issue resolved, just a lot of workarounds that didn't work and no human to talk to to get this resolved. Now because I am truly fed up with the customer service, I am attempting to transfer my domain away from Squarespace back to GoDaddy and I have been trying for a week, but Squarespace won't unlock my domain name to allow the change. 

I used to think Squarespace was a great platform, but I see that they are not equipped to handle domain issues. 

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can normally transfer a domain away from Squarespace yourself by going to Settings, and then Domains. Select the domain to transfer and then uncheck Lock Domain. There's a full guide here: Transferring a domain away from Squarespace.

Note that you can only transfer a domain to another provider if it's been at least 60 days since it was registered or transferred to Squarespace. This is a restriction imposed by ICANN, not Squarespace.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

@LEH I have been struggling with this all week! To hear you have been waiting a MONTH freaks me out. Like you, I always rave about Squarespace for designing websites and have built over 10 websites for clients over the past few years. I now am trying to launch a new site for my husband's business and am stuck in a never ending loop of horrible domain transfer service.  

I ended up buying a new domain with .net and forwarding my old two domains ( Preferred master domain = www.englishmajormusic.com & older domain attached to our GSuite = www.englishmajormusicllc.com) to the new one www.englishmajormusic.net. But don't know what to do for search results now - they are all jacked up.  Luckily our LinkedIn company page is showing instead of the horrible "holding page" with waves that said site was under construction in the search results, but what a mess!!!

Why on earth is this an "engineer" issue vs. an easy transfer like to and from another provider, like GoDaddy?

@paul2009 - Do you have any thoughts about what's going on? I have actually done this from one Squarespace site to another transfer about a month ago for a client and it went live in less than 24 hours. Also - any thoughts on SEO (like should I submit my site for a spider crawl with the new .net address or wait for the .com)? We have magazines in mailboxes today that talk about our company and I just ache knowing that the search results suck and the experience is less than ideal. 

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. 

Leah

Hi Leah 👋

The last I heard from Squarespace was..

"We’re currently doing some maintenance to our billing system on the back end of Squarespace that’s preventing domains from moving between sites. Our engineers are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible, but the process may take up to a few weeks."

As I understand it, Squarespace have a pretty old billing system that prevents them introducing new features, so since August they have been upgrading it. During the transition period, some sites will be on the old system and some on the new; if you are trying to move a domain from the old system to the new, you won't be able to do this yourself using the self-service tools. Bear in mind that I don't work for Squarespace, so it would be great to hear directly from them.

I understand that transfers between Squarespace sites can still be done, but it is a painstaking manual process that the Squarespace Customer Care team must do for you. I would suggest you reach out to them using live chat (at the times when it is available) and see if they can work through your issue.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Archived