Can I password protect a folder?

I've read the posts about this question. The last one I see is from 2013. Is this possible yet? This seems like it should be an easy thing for Square Space to fix? My non-profit's site has a members' only area. I want to protect the top-level page ( "Members' Only") with one PW which will allow access to all the sub-pages under it. Is this really not possible? What am I missing. Thanks!

Edited by Paul2009

This is not possible. Password protection does not work in this way. It can only apply to individual pages or to an entire site.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, barbarashanahan said:

Can I password protect a folder?

No. A folder is simply a way of grouping pages, in the PAGES panel or on the navigation. It cannot be password protected.

1 hour ago, barbarashanahan said:

Is this because they want to sell membership sites such as memberful and gopaywall?

No. These products do not (and cannot) protect Squarespace content as it is not technically possible. Squarespace are working hard to add this feature, but it is complex and time-consuming due to the way Squarespace 6.0 (and 7.0) was architected.

You can add your voice to the requests for this feature by raising a ticket through Customer Care. They'll document your feedback and share it with the appropriate team.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 month later...
  • Susana_SQSP pinned and unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Following the recommendations from the Internet, which I will give below, you can increase the security of your personal data, but this does not guarantee 100% security level. Another thing is if you will use a decentralized application, for example Utopia p2p. Such applications are essentially a closed web system that does not require the use of personal data, has its own mail, browser and even cryptocurrency and which cannot be attacked from outside.
Security measures for the forum:Store only the necessary customer data
Update SSL
Test your site for vulnerabilities
Encrypt Communications
Choose a reliable hosting provider

• 2 years later...

How about using a Portfolio Collection instead?

It seems like you can protect a Portfolio and add the sub-pages/portfolio items inherit the same password.

Adding and editing a portfolio item seems to be no different to adding and editing a normal page.

I am going to give this a try for a client that wants something similar: ie. a members area with a shared single password.