Build a New Website in Squarespace and Replace Current Site

Good day! I've been using Squarespace for several years, and I've decided I want to reimagine my current website.

Instead of just tweaking the existing pages, I want to start from scratch -- new template, updated content, and even a new URL. 

First, can I just create a new template on the back end, then switch it with my existing template? Or is that considered building a second website, and cost more? 

Second, any advice on do's and don't's for anyone who has done this? Thank you! 

Tom

• Replies 1
  • Views 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If your site is built on 7.1 there is no switch template option. To build a new site, you can start a two-week trial under the same account you have now. Once the site is done (hopefully within the two weeks) purchase a new domain, activate your new site, and turn off the renewal for your original site and domain.  You may have some overlapping costs depending on how you pay for your original site. If your site is on 7.0 there is a template switch option to any other 7.0 site and a move to 7.1 option if using the Brine template family in 7.0 I will tell you that any switch option does not move everything and still requires many tweaks to make it ready to go live.

I would start with a clean slate if I wanted a new site, which I don't.  I have used the same Avenue 7.0 template since 2015 but it does not look much like it did when new. I have used a lot of code to personalize it for me, to give it a unique look. 

Edited by derricksrandomviews