Slideshow not loading in Chrome

This one's a bit of a mystery: The slideshow on the homepage is working fine in Safari. However, when I view that page in Chrome, the first image of the slideshow loads and then most of the others do not. This applies to both live view and editor view. The only way I can get them to appear is by unchecking "automatically crop", but...I need them to be automatically cropped. I tried uploading new images, and they have the same issue.

Note that this is a new problem. It wasn't happening when I launched the site; it only started a few days ago (and I didn't make any edits to the site between then and now).

Hoping someone out there has insight into this very annoying issue! Screen recording attached.

ETA: Second screen recording. It gets weirder...for the slide with no image, a small scroll bar appears at the bottom left of the section. What??

Screen Recording 2024-06-21 at 1.27.50 PM.mov

Edited by LetterAndInk
Added second screen recording

I didn't experience any issues with the slideshow in Chrome. Try clearing your Chrome browser's cache and see if this resolves the issue but bear in mind that users with slower connections will experience issues if the images cannot be downloaded before the slideshow advances. One of those images is over 800KB 🙂

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

Would you like your customers to be able to mark their favourite products in your Squarespace store?

Posted (edited)

Hi @paul2009! Glad to hear it’s not universal. Unfortunately, I’ve been able to replicate the issue on several devices on different networks (even after cleaning the cache.) Is there a chance you're not running the current version of Chrome? I have a feeling that the latest update broke something. 

Edited by LetterAndInk
Tagged user

I'm on a fast connection and I'm running Chrome v126.0.6478.115 on macOS and I am able to reproduce the issue.

Safari had no issue.

What appears to be happening is the pics that don't load have no src attribute on them.

I disabled all the Custom CSS locally and some of the missing images loaded. I can't say this is a purely CSS issue as not all the images appeared when removed.

No solutions just observations unfortunately.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

12 hours ago, LetterAndInk said:

Is there a chance you're not running the current version of Chrome?

You're right - sorry. Chrome 126 seems to the cause. It was working fine on 125.

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

Would you like your customers to be able to mark their favourite products in your Squarespace store?

I have same issue with a slideshow and do believe it is a Chrome issue.  Only the first image is loaded in chrome and any images that follow are not displayed at all.  Inspecting the SOURCES  the images.squarespace-cdn.com only contains or loads the first image in the slideshow. The HTML contains at least ten images.  The slideshow works perfectly on Safari and Firefox.   

I've been spending a bit more time looking at this today.

I have no workaround. The only thing that occurred to me as a potential workaround would be to use some JavaScript to add the missing src attributes with some JavaScript. I have no code and this would be a real hack trying to repair something gone wrong with Chrome and/or Squarespace.

I've also not been able to find a solid pattern, if there is one, as to when things go wrong. The only general one I found was two landscape oriented images, of the same dimensions, followed by portrait oriented images made the portrait ones not load.

I then tried a series of six images all the same orientation and size and it worked without a hitch.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

Hi there, I also experienced the same issue with Chrome not loading the slide show images.

I went back into the slide shows and re-cropped the images to be the same proportion (they were all different proportions before). And that fixed the non-loading problems. 

Hello there!

I had the same problem of  slideshow images not showing in Google Chrome (no Issues with other browsers). I tried a lot of things (including contacting Squarespace support) but it was eventually this thread that lead me to the solution. After reading @Gleena 's latest post I tried turning of the automatic cropping of the images and my problem was solved. Changing the aspect ratio of every images also worked but that was obviously very time consuming.

Thanks for the inspiration and good luck to everyone!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem on my end.

What I am finding is that if the images are not cropped to the same height and width prior to uploading, it won't show up the narrow images vs the wider images. 

When we have the images cropped to the same height and width, they are all showing up fine without having to toggle off this setting. I hope they get this fixed asap!

Screenshot_2024-08-12_at_11.48.47_AM.png

• 1 month later...