Issue with email forwarding after Google Domain migration

I'm dealing with this same situation involving the "catchall" redirection/forwarding. Has anyone figured out an answer, and it's 100% working for them now?

My Google Domain was transferred ("migrated" as SquareSpace called it) on May 9, 2024... and the catchall emails were still redirecting correctly at that point, so I thought everything was good.

HOWEVER - on May 22, 2024 at 3:00 pm PT - everything stopped.  Zero emails since then.  I've literally lost tens of thousands of emails because of this, and I would like to get things fixed.

If you've been able to resolve your catchall redirection/forwarding, would you please share how it needs to be done? Any screen shots or instructions, perhaps?  Thank you.

On 5/15/2024 at 12:03 PM, pgthegreat said:

image.png.8a06eccf8f0188de844ca6ec58d7d072.png

If I try to make any changes to my domains from Google, I get this same error.

However, the catchall and email forwarding did come over from Google and is (currently) functioning as expected.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally gave up, this whole migration mess, and masking of all my email forwarders (cannot edit or even view all the forwarders I had setup with google), then removing existing migrated google MX records causes all the forwarders to disappear and would need to start all over. I am migrating to cloudflare, where it costs much less and very easy to setup. 

I created a new domain and completed setup for Email forwarding to a gmail account.

For e.g.

support@mydomainname.com  is forwarding to [mydomainname].support@gmail.com

I did a test run by sending and email from a outlook, yahoo and hotmail account and I successfully see emails reaching to gmail account inbox.

HOWEVER!!!!  When I send email from another gmail account it is not reaching [mydomainname].support@gmail.com

I tried with various gmail account, but all of them went dark.  No response and no mail returned.

Anyone has any clue?

Hello,

I just noticed that Outlook does not receive any new mail since beginning may (since more or less my migration from Google Domain to Squarespace).

I am not really good at IT and managed to make things worse (now when I send an email to my customized email I receive a message of error...

I'd like to keep things the way they were (a simple mail, no forwarding by creating a new mail address). What can I do ? Am I obloged to migrate out of Squarespace to find back the esayness I had with Google Domain?

On 6/26/2024 at 9:55 PM, Fortunity said:

I created a new domain and completed setup for Email forwarding to a gmail account.

For e.g.

support@mydomainname.com  is forwarding to [mydomainname].support@gmail.com

I did a test run by sending and email from a outlook, yahoo and hotmail account and I successfully see emails reaching to gmail account inbox.

HOWEVER!!!!  When I send email from another gmail account it is not reaching [mydomainname].support@gmail.com

I tried with various gmail account, but all of them went dark.  No response and no mail returned.

Anyone has any clue?

I have the same problem email forwarding used to work until yesterday now it has stopped.

Impossible to get any response from SquareSpace

Can't access any of our email forwarding settings since Google Domains' forced migration to Squarespace, and Squarespace "Support" hasn't provided any actually support at all...just emails every 72 hours saying they have "an unprecedented volume of requests." It's been a week and still crickets from "support."

Google Workspace, MX records, DMARC, email fowarding, and more are a total mess since Squarespace took over our domain from Google, and Squarespace "support" is completely absent. 

If you're considering Squarespace for your website and/or domain, save yourself hours of extra work, frustrating lack of support, and additional costs -- go elsewhere!

Ever since Squarespace took over our Google Domain, we've lost access to all our email forwarding settings. All the email forwarding that we had set up in Google Domains seems gone, and there's just a message from Squarespace that we need to either delete our MX records or delete our Google Workspace account (aka start over from scratch) in order to access email forwarding. Google Domains offered 100 free forwarding emails...now that Squarespace has taken over, all of those settings are gone -- we can't even access them.

Contacted Squarespace "support" about this twice already -- it's been over 5 days and all they've done is send an email that says they have "an unprecedented volume of requests."

We've experienced MX and DMARC records that disappeared when Squarespace took over our other domains from Google, too. Contacted Squarespace "support" who had no idea what we were talking about...all they did was link to a generic support article that wasn't even related to these issues and then closed the support case (that it had taken us hours to even open in the first place). 

Super disappointed in how this domain transfer to Squarespace has gone, and even more disappointed (though not surprised) in Squarespace's severely lacking "support." 

Since Squarespace can't answer for themselves, anybody out there had luck finding a way to access email forward settings without having to delete MX records or Workspace and starting all over from scratch?

And, where is everyone transferring their domain registrations now that Squarespace's bad support, awkward management interface, and missing features are the new reality?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I was able to get my email working! This isn't my field of expertise, but I'll try to explain what I did.

Don't change any of the Squarespace settings. Think of it as simply the billing manager for our domains. In fact I think I had to hit DNS --> Add Preset --> Google Workspace MX. It didn't pop up the first time, so I think I deleted all the email forwarding rules I created in Squarespace. The option to add presets then worked.

You need to have access to Google Workspace for EVERY domain you plan on sending emails to / from. I had to recover one of my Google Workspace accounts because I never needed to use it. Manage all your alias emails in Google Workspace. Go to your Admin App (admin.google.com) --> on left side bar click directory --> users --> click your name --> add alternate emails --> create your alias

After that I simple went into EVERY gmail account and forwarded all my emails to my main account that I use daily.

Everything's been working for about a week now, so I think it's safe to say I'm good. I hope this helps, or maybe someone more well versed with this stuff can help everyone understand better.

Just think of Squarespace as a billing entity.

I don't want to change name servers and risk losing any important emails.  Has anyone tried using a Google Group instead of a forwarding address to accomplish the same thing?  

• 2 weeks later...

I'm upset by the fact I have to go into the squarespace control panel and set up manual forwards (with a limit of 100) for everything I have ever used a gmail +tag for, is there a way to have them passed through automatically as it was previously with google domains?

I've missed so many emails that were directed to me+subject@domain.com that google previously automatically handled via aliasing.

I didn't know it wasn't working until I realised I hadn't had any bills in a while!

Hello, In squarespace I just buy a domain, but email forward not working, what I need to do for fix this problem ?P.S. I dont have a Google Workspace.

Screenshot 2024-08-09 at 16.26.28.png

Edited by Andrii
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/16/2024 at 4:08 AM, Guest said:

If Gmail detects a forward coming back to the account that sent it then it goes in the bit bucket.  Test from one account to another.

This is the problem I was having. Sent instead from a Microsoft (live.com) account, and I see that forwarding to my gmail account is working. Thanks!