Duplicate posts displaying in Google search results

I switched from Wordpress to Squarespace early March and still in the middle of a clean up operation that has tested me to the limit!

I'm currently in the process of manually requesting indexing of every post I've ever written and as you know Google Search Console limits you to a ridiculously low number of requests each day.

I'm testing them as I go but I'm seeing this effect on quite a few posts where Google search results are showing 2 identical posts on Page 1 of Google. ( I know!! I really shouldn't complain but at the same time, something is clearly up.

Any ideas from you guys? Many thanks.

Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 15.35.01.png

• Replies 2
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi @PEN_72,

I’m happy to help you. I understand your concern. Below, I’ve added a few potential insights that might be helpful:

• I’ve checked it on my end. According to my analysis, you're redirecting your URL with a slash (/). That is why it redirects to the same URL when I click the page.

image.thumb.png.87948e9eb0363beae21942736ae67e94.png

• Could you please check the URL redirects to ensure that 301 redirects are correctly set up without slashes (/)? If not, please set up a 301 redirect [without the slash (/)] using URL mapping. You can watch this video to see how to add the 301 redirects.
    • Format:
      • /OLD-URL -> /NEW-URL 301
  • If you have an old WordPress website's Google Search Console account, you can send a URL removal request. This will prompt Google to remove your old website URLs from the SERP.

I hope these insights help. If you have further questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
Sadul Sifat.

SEOSpace Team

SEOSpace - The SEO Plugin for Squarespace.

Get a Free Squarespace SEO Audit: https://www.seospace.co/squarespace-seo-audit-score

seospace-logo.png

15 hours ago, Sifat_SEOSpace said:

Hi @PEN_72,

I’m happy to help you. I understand your concern. Below, I’ve added a few potential insights that might be helpful:

• I’ve checked it on my end. According to my analysis, you're redirecting your URL with a slash (/). That is why it redirects to the same URL when I click the page.

image.thumb.png.87948e9eb0363beae21942736ae67e94.png

• Could you please check the URL redirects to ensure that 301 redirects are correctly set up without slashes (/)? If not, please set up a 301 redirect [without the slash (/)] using URL mapping. You can watch this video to see how to add the 301 redirects.
    • Format:
      • /OLD-URL -> /NEW-URL 301
  • If you have an old WordPress website's Google Search Console account, you can send a URL removal request. This will prompt Google to remove your old website URLs from the SERP.

I hope these insights help. If you have further questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
Sadul Sifat.

Hi Sadul,

Thank you for taking the time to look at this for me it's really appreciated. I've checked url mappings within SS Dashboard and realised I had set redirects up with forward slashes (unintentionally as I thought a forward slash signified the end of the command)

I've corrected this immediately.

May I also ask how I write a redirect in url mapping for a page I'd like to redirect to my homepage?

1. /documentary-wedding-photographer-north-yorkshire -> /home 301

OR

2. /documentary-wedding-photographer-north-yorkshire -> /https://www.philnunez.com 301

I may have gone wrong here as well!

Thanks again

Phil