Esc key login no longer exists

Does anyone know why Squarespace removed the Esc key login? That's how I have told ALL my clients how to easily login, because sending them different login links is too tough for them (trust me). Why would they remove that feature? I just noticed it today. It looks like this link was posted this morning: 

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/205815858-Escape-key-login#:~:text=your live site.-,When Escape key login is enabled%2C pressing Esc while visiting,Open the Escape key panel.

I have no inside information as to why it has been removed. Personally I've always disabled it since it has one small use, but a potential huge user experience downside for every visitor, namely disrupting browsing and going to a login screen, simply a good way to lose a site visitor. I've transitioned many a client to using either account.squarespace.com to login or by bookmarking the domain with /config at the end and never heard of any issues or complaints.

Edited by Ziggy

Please like and upvote if my comments were helpful to you. Cheers!

Zygmunt Spray
Squarespace Website Designer
Contact me: 
https://squarefortytwo.com 

Did I help? Buy me a coffee?

🔌 Ghost Squarespace Plugins (Referral link)
📈 SEO Space (Referral link)
 SquareWebsites Plugins (Referral link)
 🔲 SQSP Themes (Referral link) 
Spark Plugin (Referral link) 

Not sure why people who want to use the esc key couldn't just continue to use it and others just leave it "switched off" - incredibly frustrating experience to just remove features with no notice.

Squarespace continues to make baffling decisions. I have around 150 pages so when I land on one I need to edit I simply just hit the esc key. Now I have to login and find it again. Really bad and time consuming experience. And totally unnecessary.

I also had to google how to login to a website I've owned for 10 years because no email was sent about this in advance. Massive dislike of this move.

• 4 weeks later...

Please see Page Edit Keys.

Synopsis

Activate Squarespace editor using a key sequence.

I don't know if my code fully replicates how SS's escape key function worked. Obviously I can't compare the behaviour of SS's code to mine.

I suggest not using the Escape key alone but use it with a modifier key such as alt/option, control, and/or command/meta keys. Site visitors are probably less likely to hit a multi-key combo and get dumped into the SS account login screen than if just the escape key is pressed.

Let me know how it goes.

Edited by creedon

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

On 2/11/2024 at 3:10 PM, creedon said:

Please see Page Edit Keys.

Synopsis

Activate Squarespace editor using a key sequence.

I don't know if my code fully replicates how SS's escape key function worked. Obviously I can't compare the behaviour of SS's code to mine.

I suggest not using the Escape key alone but use it with a modifier key such as alt/option, control, and/or command/meta keys. Site visitors are probably less like to hit a multi-key combo and get dumped into the SS account login screen than if just the escape key is pressed.

Let me know how it goes.

Hi @creedon thanks for posting this! I've just gotten it to work! Absolute champion, thanks so so much!

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/13/2024 at 12:32 PM, Conejo Joe said:

I've used Squarespace for 16 years and the Esc key log in was very handy when I needed to log in to edit a particular post or page. Wondering if there is a workaround.  Frustrating that there was no communication of the change.

You may find my snippet Admin Quick Access useful, recently I updated the code so it works on frontend mode, helps you quickly lands in the admin dashboard from any page.

note that logged out user or your clients won't see this quick access in action

SCR-20240314-8zd.png

BeyondSpace - Squarespace Website Developer

🖼️ Lightbox Studio (Enable Pinch/Zoom on lightbox)
🗓️ Delivery Date Picker (Squarespace Date picker form field)
💫 Gallery block 7.1 workaround
🥳 Sparkplugin Customisations Browsers (Browse +100 Spark plugin customisations)
🥳 Elfsight Template Browsers (Browse +1000 Elfsight widget Templates)

If you find my answer useful, let's leave a like or upvote so others with the same issue can find their solution. Thank you!