I am trying to Remove one H1 headings and leave only the most important one (I have 2 of the same my SEO person says I need to remove 1 )

I don't understand how to do this on my website, I have tried so many ways and just can't work it out. 

We've spotted that the page https://www.thestrawbrothers.com/shop/p/our-range-of-festive-christmas-straws has more than one H1 heading. It's important that you only have one H1 heading per page - otherwise, you lose it's awesome SEO impact!

Below lists all of the H1 headings on https://www.thestrawbrothers.com/shop/p/our-range-of-festive-christmas-straws currently:

• Christmas Paper Straws 250 pack
  • Christmas Paper Straws 250 pack

Remove your multiple H1 headings and leave only the most important one - ideally with your page's main keyword within its copy.

On 1/1/2024 at 6:01 PM, TheStrawBrothers said:

the page...has more than one H1 heading. It's important that you only have one H1 heading per page - otherwise, you lose it's awesome SEO impact!

As I posted in 2022, having multiple h1 headings will not cause SEO issues. With modern (HTML5) webpages like those on Squarespace Product Detail Pages, it is normal to have multiple H1 elements on different parts of the page. This does not need to be changed.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

Would you like your customers to be able to mark their favourite products in your Squarespace store?

@TheStrawBrothers I looked at your page in the console and it does appear that you have 2 H1 tags. However, they are both the same thing(or both have the same exact text.) The first one is the breadcrumb Shop  Christmas Paper Straws 250 pack and the 2nd is the blue text that says the same just below. It is possible this was autogenerated by the squarespace system or template/layout engine. Nonetheless as Paul stated above, there is nothing to worry about. You will not get penalized for having two h1 tags. Your SEO advisor most likely ran your site through an automated SEO checker that checks for things like this. Just to be clear, it is not generally advised to have a bunch of h1 tags on one page because it can confuse the google robots that come to index your site and figure out what each page is all about. But as I stated, in this case it is perfectly fine. Happy New Year! Regards - Tosha

• 6 months later...

Hi - I'm having an issue with multiple H1 tags on a page. Judging by all reading online, recommended SEO standards, what search engines look for etc - any page on a website is only meant to have one H1 tag to help engines read the page properly. I acknowledge that people online also say 'it doesn't matter' - but in this case - I want to adhere to the majority and to the recommendations that I trust. The only problem is, SS doesn't have the facility for this. On my website (7.0 - Brine) on any product page - for example the one listed here - every product title is an H1 tag. That means, on this page for example - https://littleanvil.com/wood-beam-pendant-light-chandelier - there are currently 10 H1 tags (9 products and one for the main page title) 

I have been onto SS support and sadly got the annoying generic response of 'we know its an issue and have flagged it for review' - AKA - nothing is currently happening and it might or might not down the track.

I find this incredibly annoying for a product that meant to be optimised for SEO out of the box - this seems like a glaring error.

Does anyone know of any fix that can allow me to make product listings not be an H1?

So regardless of who thinks it's ok or not ok - lets say a Squarespace user wants to fix this (AKA me) but is unable to because Squarespace (in my case brine 7.0) doesn't allow you chance product titles from the standard H1. How can I get round it - do I just have to suck it up or can it be custom coded?

On 7/27/2024 at 1:23 AM, Neilshy said:

adhere to the majority and to the recommendations that I trust

Here is what the Google Search team says about H1s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsgrSxCmMbM

And more here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwpwq8Ynf7s&t=1428s

Edited by Collaborada
typo

Have SEO questions? Chances are we've written about it! Try a quick Google search to find our advice. For fast and personalized support, see our Zoom sessions.  Official Squarespace Experts since 2014