Is this type of video portfolio site possible?

Hey all, longtime Squarespace user but first time posting on here. Trying to redo a video portfolio site and looking for something simple yet fairly specific and curious if it's possible (I'm clearly not a web designer if you can't tell based on my questions). I feel like this should be doable but haven't been able to figure it out myself. I don't have a url to share yet. If this is too specific of an ask or not the right place for my question just let me know.

I've attached an image with drawings of what I'm trying to do. Main idea is that I want people to be able to watch videos and learn about each project without having to navigate between multiple pages or scroll too much. 

• A - simple home page with site title, 3 primary navigation links, and collection of Vimeo/Youtube links. Got this part down no prob.
  • B - when user hovers over a video, I want text with the video title to appear inside the frame, image grayed out a bit to make text readable. 
  • C - when user clicks on a video, I want that video to pop up in a lightbox with text description underneath. Ideally with an option to close the lightbox in the top right which would re-enable the homepage (A) behind it. In a perfect world, I'd also love to be able to a) format the text below the video, b) embed additional smaller videos or images below description text, and c) have users toggle left/right to bring up next project in lightbox view. 

Just curious if anyone would be able to tell me if this is generally possible and if there's any particular templates or types of custom code I'd need to look into to make this. I know it is tough to give specific answers without having a url to give feedback on but just trying to figure out where to start. Thanks in advance!

Screen Shot 2023-11-06 at 4.52.12 PM.png

• B - when user hovers over a video, I want text with the video title to appear inside the frame, image grayed out a bit to make text readable.  >> We can use some CSS code to achieve this. You can share link to page, we can check & give the code
  • C - when user clicks on a video, I want that video to pop up in a lightbox with text description underneath. Ideally with an option to close the lightbox in the top right which would re-enable the homepage (A) behind it. In a perfect world, I'd also love to be able to a) format the text below the video, b) embed additional smaller videos or images below description text, and c) have users toggle left/right to bring up next project in lightbox view.  >> You will need to use plugin to achieve this. You can use Lightbox Plugin (affiliate link) or this link (non-affiliate link)

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

13 hours ago, tuanphan said:
  • B - when user hovers over a video, I want text with the video title to appear inside the frame, image grayed out a bit to make text readable.  >> We can use some CSS code to achieve this. You can share link to page, we can check & give the code

@tuanphan thanks so much, this is helpful! Here is a link for B above (pw - password). Currently have these set in a gallery but can do individual video blocks too if that works better. I also plan to add more videos to the gallery if that changes anything. https://brendanmcdonnell.net/film-wip

On 11/8/2023 at 1:27 AM, brendanmcd22 said:

Also in doing some research on the lightbox plugin, it looks like I'd need to have the home page be an image gallery instead of a video gallery? Since images allow for a clickthrough url (where it seems the lightbox link will go to achieve C in my drawing) and videos do not allow for that. 

Yes. Need Image Gallery, we can add play icon over image (use code) to make it similar video.

What do you think?

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...