Code snippet messing up Fluid Engine operation (but I can't find the snippet!)

Hi there,

I started working on a client site today, and it's been worked on by several Upwork-type folks in the past...as a result, the site is riddled with Javascript and CSS. It was also build pre-Fluid Engine, so the sections are sort of a hybrid, with some being the Classic Editor and some being Fluid Engine (the new ones I'm adding are all FE).

The issue is that while editing, Fluid Engine is a HOT MESS (a couple screenshots below that barely do it justice). The grid starts out basically non-existent (and I've checked the section row/grid settings, not the issue) and from there it just gets worse – the blocks don't land where they should when you try to move them, the grid blocks change size throughout the same section, when I try to drag a section to make it longer it sometimes drags down to the footer, sometimes doesn't expand at all...it's a nightmare to build out pages/sections honestly. I'm managing, but handing the site back to my client and showing them how to do anything themselves is just not going to work or be okay.

I'm pretty savvy at CSS, but Javascript is still a learning curve. I've checked several of my other sites and it's not happening there, so I know it's not a Squarespace issue. With all of the wonky coding (and I cut a decent amount of it OUT after first noticing this issue), I'm almost positive it's gotta be some code snippet that one of the previous Upwork/Fiverr/whatever designers added in there at some point, but I don't know how to identify it. I've gone through the CSS and didn't notice anything in there that would do it, so I'm guessing it's in the Javascript somewhere...can anyone help me find the problematic code so that FE can work properly for them again? (Or tell me what to look for and I'll keep investigating myself?)

Site: www.shopsitesee.com

Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 3.34.32 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 3.30.17 PM.png

• Replies 3
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@renee.hartwick
have you tried using safe mode? in the editor after "/config/" put "safe" so it should look like this

yourinternalurl.squarespace.com/config/safe

the other thing I would try is to get rid of literally all of the css and paste it into a plain text editor to save for just a moment to see if that's it. It looks to me like someone has manipulated the size of an element inside of a fluid engine container. I've had things look like this on sites where I had to adjust the sizing for portrait style video and it kind of breaks the editor a bit when you're working on that section. If it's happening in all of them I wonder if there's some generic css that's affecting the whole site. I've had to do this a few times, it's such a nightmare finding the issue.

Did I help you? Buy me a coffee!

👨‍💻 Bergen Design Co.

💻  I'm for hire on Upwork!

🕸️ Squarespace Experts  

🖥️ 99Designs

@jaeveedee Thank you for the suggestion! Unfortunately safe mode didn't change anything...and weirdly enough, taking out all of the CSS didn't help either (I cut out all the CSS, pasted it into a word doc, Saved the site, and went back in to see if it fixed the FE issue, but the grid was still all kinds of wonky, and moving blocks around was still an unreliable pain).

Would that mean it's a Squarespace issue? Or does a site just take a hot minute to recalibrate after a bunch of coding is removed?

It's probably code somewhere else hidden on the page but I guess it's possible it's just squarespace. Is it every single page? Is it even if you make a brand new page? I've had to find these things before for clients if you want to DM we can chat about some help. I would just need to get access to your client's site as an admin.

Did I help you? Buy me a coffee!

👨‍💻 Bergen Design Co.

💻  I'm for hire on Upwork!

🕸️ Squarespace Experts  

🖥️ 99Designs