Adding a deposit feature to Checkout

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

• Solution
On 8/29/2023 at 6:09 AM, howtodiehappy said:

Customers must pay a 50% deposit on booking...Can I add the option using standard commerce tools?

There isn't a specific 'deposit' feature in Squarespace, but some merchants use service products as a workaround. You can create a service product for the deposit to allow you to accept partial payment. In the product settings, you can change the "Add to cart" caption on the button to "Pay deposit".

When collecting the final 50% you can send your customer a link to a separate, hidden product that represents the remaining balance. If required, you can change the "Add to cart" caption to "Pay balance".

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

Would you like your customers to be able to mark their favourite products in your Squarespace store?

Paul, I'm fairly sure you've just nailed what a SquareSpace advisor totally failed to see earlier on today! 

I like this, as it makes for a smoother UX. The advisor's suggestions were:

1. Add the deposit as a variant (this would mean there are four variants (single room 50% twin room 50%, etc.);
  2. Add more products (so the deposit was a product).

Both feel beyond clunky and confusing to customers. 

I reckon I can make your suggestion work; thank you, brother!

• 4 months later...

Hi howtodiehappy! I know it has been a bit since you posted your topic, but I was wondering if you could share the link to your retreat site or share if you figured out a solid workaround. I'm currently in the same dilemma! Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

Thank you for taking the time to read. So I have a business I am starting, it is a coaching/personal business. In the future there will be classes (which obviously require payments) but right now we are trying to launch retreats. 

Because retreats are heftier in price, we want to be able to allow customers to make a down payment or deposit. Say the retreat in total is $1000, we want them to pay $500 to reserve their spot, and then later on they are sent an invoice with the remaining $500. 

The tricky part is that with retreats there are sometimes multiple options. Say if you want to have your own single bedroom, it would be $600 deposit instead of $500. Is having this kind of detail impossible to have on Squarespace? If so, I would love any recommendations for a retreat site we could link to the website to streamline the entire process. Thank you!