Conversion tracking tag - Phone Snippet

I am trying to add a conversion tracking tag to my squarespace site (7.0), to replace a phone number with a Google Forwarding number.

Google Provided the steps below, but they don't quite align with how Squarespace handles code injection. Where am I going wrong? I have a previous tag installed, which I amended with the gtag config highlighted in green below, (and screenshot attached).

• Do I need to replace the previous Google tag with the new one provided below?
  • Do I need to install the snippet into the ADVANCED > PAGE HEADER CODE INJECTION area for every index or page that features the phone number I want to replace?

Google's instructions below:

To add this tag to your website, follow the instructions below.

How to use the tag

For conversion tracking to work, you'll need to install the conversion tracking tag, which consists of the Google tag and a phone snippet.

1. Install the Google tag on every page of your website. 
    1. Open the HTML for each page. 
    2. Choose from the following options: 
      • If you haven't installed the Google tag on your website, copy the tag below and paste it between the head tags (<head></head>😞

<!-- Google tag (gtag.js) --> <script async src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtag/js?id=AW-734834475"></script> <script> window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'AW-734834475'); </script> 

See more guidelines on setting up the Google tag.

• If you installed the Google tag on your website from another Google product (example: Google Analytics) or from another Google Ads account, copy the 'config' command below and add it to every instance of the Google tag, right above the </script> end tag.

gtag('config', 'AW-734834475');
      • If you or a manager account already installed the Google tag on your website while setting up the tag for another conversion action, make sure that the tag is on every page of your website and check that the 'config' command has this Google Ads account's conversion ID: AW-734834475
    3. Save the changes to your webpages. 

2. Install the phone snippet on the page where the phone number 559.939.1362 appears on your website. 
    1. Open the HTML for the page. 
    2. Copy the snippet below and paste it after the Google tag.

<script> gtag('config', 'AW-734834475/yNfQCPu_2M4YEKvest4C', { 'phone_conversion_number': '559.939.1362' }); </script> 
    3. Save the changes to your webpage.

Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 4.40.03 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 5.06.18 PM.png

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 2
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have kind of the same issue, I want to count a "send contact form" to be tracked as an event in Google Tag Manager, to count it as a conversion. But SQSP Website is not firing any Triggers with the new AW- Google Tag. Anyone knows how to make this work?

@marcuslieder @millagorilla, I would recommend using Google Tag Manager for this instead of directly injecting this code to your website. GTM has easy to use templates where you can just create a trigger to fire this tag on a certain page or action, and GTM creates the snippet for you.

Here's a quick guide about how to add Google Analytics through Google Tag Manager on a Squarespace website. It's a similar process for Google Ads, Facebook Ads, etc.

or if you're a video person:

Let me know if you have any questions!

Data Nerd 🧑🏾‍💻|  I help businesses transform data into actionable insights & sales | Chat with me about your website + marketing analytics challenges: TayloredData.com

Prefer video tutorials? Check out my latest marketing and web analytics how to videos