Show complete publication dates for blog posts

Go to solution Solved by CassAggett,

I'd like each blog post to show the full publication date "Day Month Year" instead of just "Day Month".

I know the summary block shows the full date but I'd like users/readers who extract or use our content to be able to properly reference it.

Thanks for any help/advice you can provide

• Solution

If this helped you, please like or mark my solution as answer so others can scroll to it quickly 👆

Cass Aggett is a Squarespace website designer for go-getting women – no matter what stage of business.

WEBSITEINSTAGRAM

• 1 month later...

Squarespace actually puts the full blog post publication date on every blog page in a meta element with an itemprop='datePublished'. If you search for this item and get the content attribute, you can use this to inject into the published date element.

<script>
//only run the code after the dom has loaded
  document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', function() {

//get the blog post html item so that we can later replace this with the full published date
      var pubdate = document.getElementsByClassName("blog-meta-item--date");
    //get the published info from the meta property on the page
    var datePublishedMeta = document.querySelector('meta[itemprop="datePublished"]');
      for (var i = 0; i < pubdate.length; i++) {
        if (datePublishedMeta){
          //turn the meta date into a Date item so we can restyle it
          var d = new Date(datePublishedMeta.getAttribute('content'));
          //Set the dateStyle. I prefer 'long' to display the full month like March instead of Mar
         pubdate[i].innerText = d.toLocaleString('default', {dateStyle: 'long'}); 
        }
      }    
  });

</script>

• 7 months later...

Hi there,
I used the code aboven 

On 8/28/2023 at 7:40 PM, jcweaver said:

Squarespace actually puts the full blog post publication date on every blog page in a meta element with an itemprop='datePublished'. If you search for this item and get the content attribute, you can use this to inject into the published date element.

<script>
//only run the code after the dom has loaded
  document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', function() {

//get the blog post html item so that we can later replace this with the full published date
      var pubdate = document.getElementsByClassName("blog-meta-item--date");
    //get the published info from the meta property on the page
    var datePublishedMeta = document.querySelector('meta[itemprop="datePublished"]');
      for (var i = 0; i < pubdate.length; i++) {
        if (datePublishedMeta){
          //turn the meta date into a Date item so we can restyle it
          var d = new Date(datePublishedMeta.getAttribute('content'));
          //Set the dateStyle. I prefer 'long' to display the full month like March instead of Mar
         pubdate[i].innerText = d.toLocaleString('default', {dateStyle: 'long'}); 
        }
      }    
  });

</script>

Hi there!
I used this code to show the year on my blogsposts. It works really well and even shows the month in letters (like 'steptember'). So far, so good, 🙂

BUT... one problem: at the moment it works in the trial-mode, but from the moment I will upgrade the website to a Personal plan, the Code injector will not work anymore. 

Is there another way to make this work?

For example: with the Custom CSS fields, or with code in the footer (Edit > Edit Site Footer > Add a block > Code)? The code above isn't working in those fields. 

Squarespace - month in letters and year.PNG

11 hours ago, Jorinde said:

but from the moment I will upgrade the website to a Personal plan, the Code injector will not work anymore.

The personal plan does not support running custom JavaScript. You need the business plan or above.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2024 at 10:52 PM, creedon said:

The personal plan does not support running custom JavaScript. You need the business plan or above.

So there is now way to get around this? For example, with a code in the footer?
It would be such a shame to have to upgrade to a business plan, just for this date adjustment. 🙈

In this example below the code, originally for code injector, did also work in the footer code:
Still hoping for a solution like that 🙂