Best way to rent videos

Hello, 

I am currently making a website about Pilates.

It is a simple website, but one section or page should be dedicated to renting videos.

I would like to rent videos about a subject in a package, like if you pay 50 € for 1  month you get a set of 3 videos. 

I have a pro plan on vimeo where I can customize the player and make it look professional.

I was wondering about the Member area, if I consider the solution integrated to squarespace, it says 10 member areas max, what does that mean? That I can only share 10 videos? Or is one member area considered a page, where I can rent let's say 20 videos about different subjects?

Do you have an advice on what is the best way to rent videos on squarespace? The most cost efficient also if possible. I know that the pro plan of member area is like 35$ a month + 1% of the sales.

Thanks a lot and have a nice day :)

Your post raises a number of questions but I've tried to answer some of them below.

26 minutes ago, AndreyDanilov said:

I would like to rent videos about a subject in a package, like if you pay 50 € for 1  month you get a set of 3 videos. 

With Squarespace Member Areas, customers will need to sign up for a recurring monthly subscription and then cancel when they no longer require access. You cannot provide a fixed access period like one month.

26 minutes ago, AndreyDanilov said:

it says 10 member areas max, what does that mean?

This means you can sell up to 10 'packages' that provide access to different 'member areas' of the website. Each 'member area' can contain multiple pages and multiple videos if required.

29 minutes ago, AndreyDanilov said:

I have a pro plan on vimeo where I can customize the player and make it look professional.

If you plan to use Squarespace Member Areas, you may want to consider uploading the videos directly to Squarespace instead of using Vimeo.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

32 minutes ago, AndreyDanilov said:

I send and example of how I would like to have it on my website. How would I need to do this on Squarespace, is it even possible?

image.png.351e8753109b998cf962b711a019a7f8.png

You can offer different subscriptions like Matwork, Apparatus and Workshops. These would be 3 of the 10 member areas that you mentioned in your first post.

However, as I explained in my earlier reply, it is not possible to offer "limited time" packages like the example you have provided, where access is only provided for a fixed period of time. You can offer monthly, quarterly billing to members, but they will continue to be billed on that basis until they cancel their subscription.

I recommend you read Squarespace's member experience guide as it shows what a visitor to your site would experience when using Member Areas. The examples in the guide are from a version 7.1 site for a mock yoga studio named Align & Flow. 

I hope this helps.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

In fact this helps a lot, thank you for that.

I don't see why I would make someone pay to just make an account, I don't really see the advantage of that. Is it possible to create a membership for free?

In the member experience you sent, that is very interesting by the way, there is an option to rent per year, but does that mean if the member forgets to cancel it is automatically renewed? That would create a lot of disappointment I think.

Is there another tool then that is more in the direction of the website I showed? Or do you suggest to still use member area?

Another question, if I take a member plan let's say the pro one at 35$, the only fee I will have to pay is 1% of the sales right? It "overreads" the conditions offered by sales without a member area doesn't it?

chrome_mnh6RRKT46.png

On 2/28/2023 at 10:02 AM, AndreyDanilov said:

I don't see why I would make someone pay to just make an account, I don't really see the advantage of that. Is it possible to create a membership for free?

Creating an account is just part of the process of signing up to a member area, regardless of whether membership is free or not. If you wish, you can offer a free membership option. For example, to give members a taste of what a paid membership might look like.

there is an option to rent per year, but does that mean if the member forgets to cancel it is automatically renewed?

Yes, memberships auto-renew unless the customer manually cancels the plan before the renewal date. Unlike some other platforms, the member loses access as soon as they cancel. 

if I take a member plan let's say the pro one at 35$, the only fee I will have to pay is 1% of the sales right?

There are two fees: the Member Areas transaction fee charged by Squarespace (1% on Pro plan) and the payment processor fee, charged by Stripe or PayPal, which vary by country. 

Thanks I understand every thing better now.

Last thing (I promise :D)) what platform would you suggest personally? One that maybe doesn't have this mandatory auto renew and where people don't lose access after canceling their subscription. Because I find it a bit strange, if one subbed for 1 year and he doesn't want to forget to cancel, so he cancels like let's say after 11 month, then he loses one month of access. I don't really like these "features".

• 3 weeks later...

" If you plan to use Squarespace Member Areas, you may want to consider uploading the videos directly to Squarespace instead of using Vimeo." 

Hi, just wondering why it would be better to upload videos in the Member Area instead of using Vimeo links. I currently have a Vimeo Pro account that is about to expire, so I'm debating switching everything over to Squarespace Member Areas. I'm just not sure about uploading videos and if it takes a long time. I would be uploading 60 minute exercise classes.

Thanks for your help! 

Kathy